Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Best first post by any member yet :)

·
Registered
2016 green 700
66 Posts
Welcome to GRIZZLYCENTRAL! I'm Gearslayer (Jamey). I'm the guy who put this site together for you. I don't own the site anymore, but I do support the staff and help members.

Please feel free to introduce yourself. To start a new thread (topic), simply CLICK HERE and one will be created in this New Member Introductions area.. Tell us what you have and where you are from too! Here is a quick video on posting.

All members are encouraged to learn the GRIZZLY CHANT! Click the play button.

The bottom line is...have a good time!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 green 700
66 Posts
New owner of a 2016 mean green grizz.

·
Registered
2020 Grizzly SE
12 Posts
Proud new owner of a 2020 Grizzly 700 SE in NorthEast Ohio. I have added a 10" LED light bar along with the HD front brush guard and rear grab bar. I also owned a 2006 Grizzly but had to sell it as I was starting a family and bought a new house. That machine is still running from the gent that bought it from me. I am sure this site will be of great help to me in the future. Helo to all! :)

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
What's our mod budget, we are good as spending O.P.M. :)

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Registered
7 Posts
New 2020 XTR owner (almost) owner here from SE PA. I won't take possession until October. The dealer has to replace some damaged plastics which occurred during shipping. My riding will be mostly trail with no more than slightly aggressive speeds. Coming from an 05 Brute Force 750 I had originally committed to a 21 BF. Loved that throttle response. However, after many hours of research, I have decided to join the Grizzly family. It seems to be the better investment. At almost 50 years of age (damn that looks old when I write it) I have come to realize that there is so much more than off-the-line speed. If this group is anything like my Tundra forum, it will be invaluable for my DIY tendencies for mods and the like. With that said, I am reaching out for some input. Input can be subjective but is valuable nonetheless. I apologize in advance for the length of this post and if I am not in accordance with the forum requirements. If the latter is true or if I need to break this into smaller segments elsewhere, just let me know. I won't get butt hurt.

Okay, I feel like I have a terrible case of ADD, OCD and addiction all bundled into one. I have read and reread so MANY posts on this and other Grizzly (and Kodiak) forums. BTW, this one is the clear leader IMO. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge oIn the span of 5 minutes of reading I can find that I have opened countless tabs searching for recommended mod parts, garage storage ideas, etc. It's a damn rabbit hole!

Already Purchased
  • Ogio Honcho rear bag. I spoke with an O'Neal rep and found they have reintroduced these bags. Sent one right to my door.
  • OEM Front/Rear brush guards/grab handles
  • Recovery straps, soft shackles, air compressor, repair kits, etc., etc.
  • Rotopax cans/mounts (already owned)
  • Synthetic rope for winch
EHS Air Box, Tuner, Pipe (input appreciated)
This is where I can use some help! I had the pleasure of speaking with Eric at EHS. I have watched their videos, read posts on here and dug deep into videos on YT where some have DIY'd their own boxes. Eric recommended the tuner, box mod w/ racing lid and duals. I can't go with the duals because I plan on adding Elkas Stage 3 (more on that below). I know this topic has been beat to death over the years but I am looking for feedback for the most recent model.
  • Tuner --Does the tuner really do anything for the reintroduced 686? I will not be riding at crazy elevations.
  • Box--Have any of you modded your own box on a 2019+? Of course other years owners' input is appreciated. I want to add a Uni filter. I have no problem paying for a great product. However, if it's something I can do on my own for significantly cheaper, with the same results, I'm in. Based on what I have read on here, the Uni has a 3.5" opening. The only flange I could find to fit the Uni specs is in the posting on Amazon below. Will it work? Do any of you have info on another flange or setup? Below that is a video on this mod.
  • Racing Lid--I'm assuming if I go with a slip on or tip, the lid and tuner would make sense. Am I correct that it is not needed or necessary without the other mods? Any actual benefit to stock system? With tuner?
  • Exhaust--I realize that the system is "choked" but do not want to really increase exhaust notes. I wouldn't mind adding some growl but nothing crazy. What are your experiences on the Barkers slip on or other options for tips?
CVT Upgrades (input appreciated)
I've been in email communication with Arnie (Coop45) regarding his machined sheave. He also recommended I purchase a gold spring. It seems most have opted for the purple. Based on what I have read, I am definitely going to purchase his sheave service.
  • Aside from cost and downtime, is it better to purchase new from him or send mine in? Reasoning?
  • Gold or purple spring? Why?
  • Anything else to consider? I know it was like an hour ago at the top of this post :) but remember, I am mostly trail riding.
Elkas
After speaking with them, it's about an 8 week turnaround. Do I need them ASAP? Should I wear the OEMs out and put them on?

Thanks for reading through this dissertation length post and more importantly, for you help. Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
OK to the long post, I do this too if needed.
We like pictures, you forgot the pictures :)
I suggest starting your own thread to keep the discussion for your mods in one spot.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
New 2020 XTR owner (almost) owner here from SE PA. I won't take possession until October. The dealer has to replace some damaged plastics which occurred during shipping. My riding will be mostly trail with no more than slightly aggressive speeds. Coming from an 05 Brute Force 750 I had originally committed to a 21 BF. Loved that throttle response. However, after many hours of research, I have decided to join the Grizzly family. It seems to be the better investment. At almost 50 years of age (damn that looks old when I write it) I have come to realize that there is so much more than off-the-line speed. If this group is anything like my Tundra forum, it will be invaluable for my DIY tendencies for mods and the like. With that said, I am reaching out for some input. Input can be subjective but is valuable nonetheless. I apologize in advance for the length of this post and if I am not in accordance with the forum requirements. If the latter is true or if I need to break this into smaller segments elsewhere, just let me know. I won't get butt hurt.

Okay, I feel like I have a terrible case of ADD, OCD and addiction all bundled into one. I have read and reread so MANY posts on this and other Grizzly (and Kodiak) forums. BTW, this one is the clear leader IMO. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge oIn the span of 5 minutes of reading I can find that I have opened countless tabs searching for recommended mod parts, garage storage ideas, etc. It's a damn rabbit hole!

Already Purchased
  • Ogio Honcho rear bag. I spoke with an O'Neal rep and found they have reintroduced these bags. Sent one right to my door.
  • OEM Front/Rear brush guards/grab handles
  • Recovery straps, soft shackles, air compressor, repair kits, etc., etc.
  • Rotopax cans/mounts (already owned)
  • Synthetic rope for winch
EHS Air Box, Tuner, Pipe (input appreciated)
This is where I can use some help! I had the pleasure of speaking with Eric at EHS. I have watched their videos, read posts on here and dug deep into videos on YT where some have DIY'd their own boxes. Eric recommended the tuner, box mod w/ racing lid and duals. I can't go with the duals because I plan on adding Elkas Stage 3 (more on that below). I know this topic has been beat to death over the years but I am looking for feedback for the most recent model.
  • Tuner --Does the tuner really do anything for the reintroduced 686? I will not be riding at crazy elevations.
  • Box--Have any of you modded your own box on a 2019+? Of course other years owners' input is appreciated. I want to add a Uni filter. I have no problem paying for a great product. However, if it's something I can do on my own for significantly cheaper, with the same results, I'm in. Based on what I have read on here, the Uni has a 3.5" opening. The only flange I could find to fit the Uni specs is in the posting on Amazon below. Will it work? Do any of you have info on another flange or setup? Below that is a video on this mod.
  • Racing Lid--I'm assuming if I go with a slip on or tip, the lid and tuner would make sense. Am I correct that it is not needed or necessary without the other mods? Any actual benefit to stock system? With tuner?
  • Exhaust--I realize that the system is "choked" but do not want to really increase exhaust notes. I wouldn't mind adding some growl but nothing crazy. What are your experiences on the Barkers slip on or other options for tips?
CVT Upgrades (input appreciated)
I've been in email communication with Arnie (Coop45) regarding his machined sheave. He also recommended I purchase a gold spring. It seems most have opted for the purple. Based on what I have read, I am definitely going to purchase his sheave service.
  • Aside from cost and downtime, is it better to purchase new from him or send mine in? Reasoning?
  • Gold or purple spring? Why?
  • Anything else to consider? I know it was like an hour ago at the top of this post :) but remember, I am mostly trail riding.
Elkas
After speaking with them, it's about an 8 week turnaround. Do I need them ASAP? Should I wear the OEMs out and put them on?

Thanks for reading through this dissertation length post and more importantly, for you help. Much appreciated!
I installed the purple on my 2019 Grizzly 700 SE. Ran it for 100 kms and removed it. Reved WAY to much. Went back to stock.

Coop45 sheave is awesome. Though not a must, They do save you from shifting back and forth between high and Low range alot. I love mine!

I wouldn't be comfortable with the EHS racing air box lid. You lose ALOT of deep water engine protection with such a mode. Unless you live in a desert type of area ofcourse.

I baught the EHS tuner cause everyone says these things run too lean stock and it improves throttle response .. On my bike ( stock exhaust) tuner didn’t make ANY difference...

I sold the 14" Zilla's set up. The wheels get damaged very quickly in rocky areas. Mine started getting damaged after the first few rides.
I already had a full set of 12" Growlers that suited my needs better then the more mud oriented Zillas

Don't jump into too many mods at once..... It's not one size fits all. It's worth taking time to learn your machine, and what works best for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your insights--both of you. I'll break up my posts a bit and more importantly, slow down on my mod quest!

Sheave is definitely on the list. Something in my gut has had me second guessing the tuner route. However, though the '19+ had an improved air filter setup, I am wondering about the necessity for a DIY upgrade like I posted. From my lens, having the Uni setup offers better filtering protection.

I've read a bit about some folks having the same concerns you mentioned regarding the 14" wheels. They do look great but not for long apparently. How do you like the Growlers? I also see you have "factory wheels" listed in what appears to be a square setup. Are the just the standard Grizzly 12" wheels found on lesser trimmed models?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
I suggest starting your own thread to keep the discussion for your mods in one spot.
100% agree. @BuckRub71 Welcome. You're obviously familiar with forums and I fully agree with what Jim has mentioned in that you create your own thread, maybe a build thread as that will also help you reel in all your questions and answers specific to you. Down the line, it will be much easier to revisit the information as you'll know right where to go instead and trying to find that one thread again.

As an FYI, if you haven't seen it, there is a Grizzly FAQ in the Grizzly Talk forum section, may be very helpful to you locating some of the more popular threads over the years.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Some damn fine advice, and I shall be following your progress. I'm new to off road myself, and new to grizzlys, so I hope to learn more as you do. Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
10,639 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.

2481 - 2500 of 2500 Posts