Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the age where I have decided to get off my Harley and take up trail riding. I think it would be much safer and I love being in the woods. Another factor is that I only live about 10 miles from the Hatfield -McCoy trail system and being retired I could go any time I wanted to go trail riding.
I have looked at ever brand atv and reviews and decided I could not go wrong with a Yamaha Grizzly. It would be used for trail riding or hunting. I think a 700 would have all the power I would ever need.. My question is about the prices for used ones that are several years old vs just getting a new one. It looks like a nice one several years old would only be a little less than getting a new one that I could take back if there was a problem with it. Thanks for any ideas you guys may have about new or used . For someone new to the atv hobby it is very hard to know if the price someone is asking for a used one is fair or more than it should be.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hello from Missouri and welcome to GC. Yamaha Grizzly 700 is a great choice. My opinion would be go new. There are some good deals now to be found on leftover 15s and you might be able to find a left over 14. They are the exact same machine. If you can't find a good deal locally and are willing to travel some, good deals can be found. Big improvements in suspension started with the 14 model year. The 16 Grizz is an all newly designed machine. Members here that have them seem to be very happy with them. I strongly recommend going with an Electronic Power Steering unit.

On the other hand if your patient some great deals can be found on slightly used machines. Since you are new to ATVs I would have someone check it out if you decide to go that route.

Lastly I,m jealous of your location to all that great trail riding area you are near to.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Welcome to GC and X-2 on everything it400 said. I to would go new if you could, I don't like buying other people's problems, not that you can't get a good used machine. Good luck with your search and let us know what you come up with and we love pics when you get it.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Hey..Skyraider..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

X-2 on buy new... Only 2-3 K more than a good used. No real worries- nothing to fix- Just get out there working on your riding skills.

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,354 Posts
I would probably also steer you towards new as well... and welcome to GC.

Completely understand your comment of being safer off-road versus onroad. On-road you have to be concerned about idiots driving around you whereas off-road that is much less a concern. However, off-road can have its own dangers and I would highly recommend to get yourself a comfortable helmet and always wear it when out riding. I don't mean to sound like the safety police, but you did bring up about being safer out trail riding.

Again, welcome to GC!

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
There are some good deals used but... personally, I felt I deserved a new machine and not to inherit someone elses problems!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well for me I personally bought a left over 2015 because of the pricing.The used market seem very high and not to much selection,also I didn't want to buy someone's abused machine.l think you'll be very happy buying a grizzly and even for a couple grand you'll get warranty and peace of mind knowing that it's yours and you know what you've done......welcome,enjoyand good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last year I was thinking just as you are now, wanting to try something different, and hoping to find a nice used quad like I've been able to find
used motorcycles in the past. I looked at many used 4 wheeler's and found
most to be in pretty sad shape. And the asking prices were way over the
KBB price. I gave-up and bought a new 2014 Grizzly with power steering.
It was more than I wanted to spend but after riding it over the summer I
don't regret buying new.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Plus atv you can ride all year around Harley's are seasonal and yes atvs can be very dangerous due your diligence

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys , ever thing you guys said was kind of what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure. I have been burned many times buying used. I guess I will take what I get out of the bike and put it toward a new machine.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Deals are out therer on used ones, guy on here bought 2014 se eps for 7000 with only 17 miles on it. Depends on how big of hurry your in. New leftover 2015 would be my choice tried and true.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome to GC from Central VA!!! I, like most others would go new. That way you know exactly where it's been and what it's been through. As Jake said above, there is a member here that bought a used one with 17 miles on it, but how often do those pop up? I also agree with getting the power steering model, especially since you plan on riding H/M often. On dirt I really can't tell the difference between EPS and non EPS, but your arms with thank you when riding a lot of hills and rocky terrain. From everything I've researched and read on here, go 2014 if you can find a leftover or newer. Good luck hunting down your new machine!!!

·
Premium Member
9,278 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I bought new planning to stay in the sport a long time.
I know the machines history, didn't buy a problem and it hasn't been back to a dealer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome from Palmer Rapids Ontario.

Go get yourself a brand spanking new 2016 Grizzly 700 SE and have a ball.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I bought mine with the living crapped kicked out and it runs like a champ still. People look at it and can't tell it was That way now. I trust my grizzly 110 percent still.

·
Registered
42 Posts
HI I just joined the fourm and I picked up my new 16 camo grizzly today,
I been reading a lot about the grizzly and thought it would be a good choice,
Previous had a can am and decided I wouldn't own another

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. I bought both mine and my wifes machines new, after ten years my 660 is still going strong. If you can do it I would definately go new. Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Atv why u not want another can am?
Hi I bought the bike brand new, and had 3 year warintee on it
Fuel pump went bad, water pump went out cooked 1 cylinder seemed like it really like limp mode nothing but problems and it wasn't abused once warrintee was up I decided to sell it
Had more issiues than that but there the big ones
Dealer said motor job would have been $2500, fuel pump was $700ish not sure about dash all covered but I didn't want any more problems
The bike was a 2007 650xt nice ridein bike all kinds of power

1 - 20 of 30 Posts