Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
It will run better with Ethanol free fuel. Less stalling and more power as Ethanol free fuels produce more (BTU's) energy than ethanol fuels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
A few more questions from an absolute novice:

• Does the Grizzly benefit from higher-octane gas?
  • Is there any need for ethanol-free gas? I use ethanol-free gas in my big Exmark commercial mower, but didn't know if that applied to the Grizzly.
  • Should I drive the Grizzly in 4wd now and again? My '99 Tacoma 4x4 says to run in 4wd every now and again to lubricate the front wheel bearings.
  • For winter storage, is there any need to use an engine fogger? There's nothing in the owner's manual about that. I trickle charge the tractor & mower batteries, and will do the same with the Grizzly, but I'd appreciate any additional winter-storage recos for the Grizzly.
Thanks.
No

For normal operation of the Grizzly, no. But if it's going to sit for any period of time, keep the ethanol out of your tank.

I hardly ever use 4-wheel drive and don't feel I'm doing the machine any harm. I think no.

Winter time is the time to ride, not to store it!​

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
ROFLMAO....and I thought it was just me. These long time racers and wrenchers forget sometimes, that some of us are newbies. I often find that I have to read more, or Google some of the lingo to make sense.
As it stands, I'm going to have to open mine up to see if any of these mods have been done or not, as the previous owner was no help at all. Only thing I know for sure, is it is currently rolling on 31" outlaws, so mods may have been done.
Some terms I'm still trying to translate into normal speech.

I really appreciate all the help, but I sometimes need a crib sheet or code book. As it is, I've been copying much of this info into a Word doc so I can reference it later. And, until I got the Grizzly, the only "sheave" I knew of was from "Bringing in the Sheaves." LOL. Still, I'm learning a ton of stuff and look forward to learning more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I won't be storing the machine for more than 15-20 days at a time before I have it out. I bought it to help with chores, so it's going to be working.

I'll put non-ethanol gas in it because that's all I put in my 5-gallon cans. And I treat all of the gas with StarTron. It's worked just fine in the mower where it sits for 90-100 days in the winter without being started, and I've never done anything else to prepare it for winter except change the oil.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and experience.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,513 Posts
I appreciate the suggestions, but I have no idea what you mean about "throw 1.7mm of shim and a purple spring in there to compensate and then block the AIS..." I have no idea what any of that means.
Sorry. I was in a rush on that last post. All these topics can be researched here on GC. Although we always welcome questions, the chances are excellent that it’s been asked and answered a thousand times before. A better (IMO) search option is this “site:grizzlycentral.com search topic”. Put that in your address bar or search engine with whatever topic you are researching like “shim” or “AIS block”. That will give you only GC hits. Let us know if we can help further.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Right from the 2017 Grizzly owners manual...
Mine was made from before Yamaha realized they could make more money selling their own fluid, here's what my manual says:

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine was made from before Yamaha realized they could make more money selling their own fluid, here's what my manual says:

That very well could be. Or they changed something in the final drive. Being a quart will do a few oil changes I personally prefer safe than sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That very well could be. Or they changed something in the final drive. Being a quart will do a few oil changes I personally prefer safe than sorry.

My 2016 manual says exactly the same--nothing Yamaha-specific in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I check my air filter on a regular basis to make sure no dirt is going into the engine. If you are going to be using it for a work horse IMO I would change the differential fluids more often VS using it as a play quad as heavy loads will break the oil down quicker and make sure you use only Yamaha gear lube for the differentials. In case you dont know there is a upper and lower Grease zerk on the rear suspension above and below the axle shafts on both sides.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts