Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 yamaha grizzly 600 auto

4wheeler quit but would start when it was cold and stop when it warmed up. i replaced pick up coil and now it has spark but won't start. 4wheeler set for a couple weeks so i am thinking needle valve stuck maybe seems no fuel. can i just take bottom off the carb when its on 4wheeler?:gcrules:

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
It's hard to remove just the bowl with carb on the bike, but it is possible.

Are you sure it is fuel related?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will start at beginning.. 4 wheeler was running then it back fired. wouldn't start and no spark. then i tried it next day and it started but stopped when it warmed up. tested pick up coil reading was 340. ordered new pick up coil took stator off and installed. then starter wouldn't work so put 4 wheeler in gear and moved it back and forth and tried again and starter worked again. now i have spark to the plug but it won't start. tried cranking over again and starter not engaging again..stumped:(
i have a bad heart so pull cord is a big no no. i am wondering if something would be out of place when i put stator and cover back on..

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Is the starter motor making a sound, just not cranking over the engine? If so, the starter clutch could be gone.
If the starter is doing nothing, then it could be a bad connection, bad solenoid or bad starter motor (worn brushes).
Try tapping the starter motor with a hammer when trying to start it. If that doesn't work, break out the multimeter and start testing to find your failure point.

Just to clarify here too. When you state "it just won't start", do you mean the engine will not turn over on the starter motor, or due you mean it will crank over, just will not start.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
just went out to try it .. put key in touched starter button and it fired right up. when i tried it earlier starter wasn't making any sound would't turn over.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
just went out to try it .. put key in touched starter button and it fired right up. when i tried it earlier starter wasn't making any sound would't turn over.
Might consider cleaning and tightening all the connections from the battery to the starter and to ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts