Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Probably an easy one here. New tires on a new Grizz and looks like I have a puncture or leak already after some hard riding. Can't find the hole, will soap it up tonight. No side wall issues. Do you recommend a plug kit or sliming the tire? Thanks!

Pony

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That's a bummer. Plug it.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Agree, plug it for an easy fix.

I hate Slime although I'm not a sealant hater as I do use a different tire sealant in my front tires, using Tireject. The Tireject is a thinner sealant and a lot thinner than Slime. Slime is so thick and gooey I have a hard time believing it properly coats the tire carcass like thinner sealants do. I had a slow leak that I found a very small "attempted" slice on my sidewall about 3/4" from the bead. Actually, more of a rock bruise that leaks very slowly. That Tireject sealed it up and is supposed to be a permanent fix. I can't believe something thick like Slime would reach up near the tire bead.

I actually had a different tire that did get a good slice in it and I replaced that tire, I wasn't running sealant then but that slice was too big for any sealant to work.

I've been running sealant in all my MTB tires which are setup tubeless for about 6 years now. The thinner sealants just work better.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Agree, plug it for an easy fix.

I hate Slime although I'm not a sealant hater as I do use a different tire sealant in my front tires, using Tireject. The Tireject is a thinner sealant and a lot thinner than Slime. Slime is so thick and gooey I have a hard time believing it properly coats the tire carcass like thinner sealants do. I had a slow leak that I found a very small "attempted" slice on my sidewall about 3/4" from the bead. Actually, more of a rock bruise that leaks very slowly. That Tireject sealed it up and is supposed to be a permanent fix. I can't believe something thick like Slime would reach up near the tire bead.

I actually had a different tire that did get a good slice in it and I replaced that tire, I wasn't running sealant then but that slice was too big for any sealant to work.

I've been running sealant in all my MTB tires which are setup tubeless for about 6 years now. The thinner sealants just work better.
@RedRocket, good info! Where do you get Tireject? I've never heard of it, or if I did see it, I guess I did'nt pay attention.

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Plug it if it's a hole for a easy permanent fix.

Do not use Tire Slime. Its perfectly fine for short term to get you home, but uts no good long term. Slime is corrosive, and over time corrodes your nice wheels from the inside out.

The best tire sealant that I know of is Highlifters Pro Series tire sealant. It will seal punctures up to 1/4" in the sidewall. Even larger holes in the tread. It also does not freeze and is non-corrosive.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
@RedRocket , good info! Where do you get Tireject? I've never heard of it, or if I did see it, I guess I did'nt pay attention.
I believe I got it off of Amazon.

Slime is corrosive, and over time corrodes your nice wheels from the inside out.

The best tire sealant that I know of is Highlifters Pro Series tire sealant.
Cool! I've always hated Slime from the first time I was fixing a buddies tires ad the stuff was in there. Just crap! Great info to know also that is it caustic.

I didn't come across the Highlifter Pro Series tire sealant in my searches, Tireject seemed well liked so I jumped on that. Good to know of another sealant.

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Just like with anything else, just put the name "Tireject" in to Google search to find the best prices.

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Agree with the gentlemen above, plug it and add some rubber cement to the plug if you have some available. The ones that take soap and water can also be a slow leak along the bead.
Keep us posted on what you find/fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a flat this weekend due to a screw. I tried to plug the hole but could not get the plug into the hole so I took the tire in and they patched the hole from the inside. What is the trick to insert the plug? I have the plug insertion tool but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
900 Posts
You need to ream the hole sometimes and lube the heck out of the plug with cement. They are hard to push in, that is what helps make a permanent seal.

Reactions: RedRocket and Doo

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You need to ream the hole sometimes and lube the heck out of the plug with cement. They are hard to push in, that is what helps make a permanent seal.
X2

Use reaming tool, coat plug with lots of cement glue while it's placed in the installation tool. Then with a bit of muscle insert the plug in the reamed hole about 1/2 way , remove install tool, and done.

Attachments

Reactions: Doo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Plug it if it's a hole for a easy permanent fix.

Do not use Tire Slime. Its perfectly fine for short term to get you home, but uts no good long term. Slime is corrosive, and over time corrodes your nice wheels from the inside out.

The best tire sealant that I know of is Highlifters Pro Series tire sealant. It will seal punctures up to 1/4" in the sidewall. Even larger holes in the tread. It also does not freeze and is non-corrosive.
Are you sure about that? I had an old Suzuki before I got my 700 and it had slime in one wheel (aluminum-no paint) And when I went to put new tires on it the one with the slime was the only one that wasnt corroded.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you sure about that? I had an old Suzuki before I got my 700 and it had slime in one wheel (aluminum-no paint) And when I went to put new tires on it the one with the slime was the only one that wasnt corroded.
My mistake- maybe I just got lucky on that one. Looks like it can be depending on what alloys are in your rims.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Difficulty pushing the plug in is a good sign. As the others said, ream the puncture very well. If your future plug(s) look like this you might think about replacing the tire.

There’s like 6 or 8 in there. Still holding air but will be replaced soon.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Difficulty pushing the plug in is a good sign. As the others said, ream the puncture very well. If your future plug(s) look like this you might think about replacing the tire.

There’s like 6 or 8 in there. Still holding air but will be replaced soon.
@okbear, that's called a Gorilla repair. It sure is ugly, but it's strong, like a Gorilla, LOL!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
If the gash is big enough you may lose a plug to the inside of the tire. This gash brought a tear to my eye, ha. Right rear in the dark and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my steering, only Hammerhead. It got plugged, and plugged, and plugged, gobbed with cement and then I set it on fire, ....true story. It held air for two more days to finish off the ride and got replaced when I got home. At least when I called DCT, they were nice enough to give me $20 off the replacement tire.
I think Okbear is a distant relative of mine. He has some tire-trasher blood in in veins>:)

Attachments

Reactions: okbear

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
If the gash is big enough you may lose a plug to the inside of the tire. This gash brought a tear to my eye, ha. Right rear in the dark and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with my steering, only Hammerhead. It got plugged, and plugged, and plugged, gobbed with cement and then I set it on fire, ....true story. It held air for two more days to finish off the ride and got replaced when I got home. At least when I called DCT, they were nice enough to give me $20 off the replacement tire.
I think Okbear is a distant relative of mine. He has some tire-trasher blood in in veins>:)
Agreed. I don’t know where the “setting the plug on fire” came from but it was suggested from a fellow rider on mine also. Sounded like a great idea at the time so I did it. lol. Dunno if it did any good, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts