Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I am new to atving and just a 2019 grizzly 700.
I have only put on 200kms onto my machine( it only had 45 when I bought it used).
wondering what is normal operating engine temp on these machines?
I seem to be running about 220f. It this normal?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great info on this site.
I am new to everything atv.
I amfrom Southampton Ontario and am looking for trails to in the summer.
will post pics and questions as they come up.
thank you everyone

· Registered
218 Posts
Since you're new, a gentle reminder: The life goal of every ATV is to throw its rider off, then roll over on top of the rider. Always have a "bail out" direction in mind, especially one where you'll be "uphill" of the machine (literally or metaphorically), so it doesn't roll on top of you.

As to the temps... I don't watch my temps, but I can tell you that if I'm not cruising, the fan is going to be running MOST of the time.

· Registered
409 Posts
Welcome!

220F seems a little high to me, The fan should turn on around 205F I believe. I just got my XT-R last month and haven't really watched the temps close the couple times I have ridden it. The fan does run a lot when crawling around on technical or rough trails I know.

My Raptor turns the fan on around 205 and I don't think it ever gets above 210.

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
220°F is not normal but I understand the these engine can take that temp. The fan on my 2019 comes on at 206-208 kicks off around 189.
If your fan is working maybe the temperature sensor is faulty. It can be removed and tested or you may be able to use an infrared temp reader to check it out (roughly).

Font Line Parallel Art Paper

· Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Interesting Fact...the fan on my 19 seize up (vent hose had sucked in water and silt) I was deep in the trails babied out to the gravel road drove home about 20 miles. I found that cruising at 20-30 mph the temp dropped to 170-180. The outdoor temp that day was in the mod 70's.

Reactions: Rehoboth Dave

· Registered
207 Posts
Interesting Fact...the fan on my 19 seize up (vent hose had sucked in water and silt) I was deep in the trails babied out to the gravel road drove home about 20 miles. I found that cruising at 20-30 mph the temp dropped to 170-180. The outdoor temp that day was in the mod 70's.
Had a Buick with a bad fan that did the same thing. As long as I was moving it stayed out of the red but as soon as I stopped it shot right up.

· Registered
2,898 Posts
so..Im new here too,17 kodiak 450,how are you all reading engine temps? I work the guts outta it plowing..is there a warning on the dash telling the actual operating temp?? thanks.
2019 and later grizzlys and 700 kodiaks have coolant temperature on their digital displays. ( a very nice feature)

I "beleve" your 450 is equipped with a warning light if it were to overheat.

· Registered
207 Posts
Yeah my old Y2K Grizzly only had a temperature light as well. I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes a gauge kit for them though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts