Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

My wife and I got a chance to take our kids (5 and 3 year olds) on a couple of older 4 wheelers this past weekend up in PA. Our kids LOVED THEM and we were/are in the market to buy a Jeep to take them off road. When are now considering going the 4 wheeler route and getting a trailer to tow them. I had a dirt bike growing up and really enjoyed trail riding and camping with it. However, I never really did the 4 wheeler thing and could use some help to give my kids a great experience.

I don't know the terminology so please bare with me. I was looking at the 2022 Polaris 850 touring option which has an extra seat. My buddy is telling me to go Yamaha as the Polaris ATVs are not reliable (his opinion). So, I looked at the 2022 Yamahas but I am not finding a 2 seat option. I did check out the 2022 Can-Am's but he is also saying that parts are hard to get for them.

Not sure where to go from here. Maybe I am missing something with the Yamaha's? Is he right with regards to the Polaris and the Can-Am?

Thanks for any help! We a looking forward to joining the community.

·
Premium Member
12,259 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I use the rear seat box for a passenger on my a.t.v. here in Colorado, some states prohibit a passenger on a machine this way. Maybe a SxS is an option for you there.
I suggest finding a Yamaha over other brands.

·
Registered
51 Posts
He is right about the reliability of Yamaha over Polaris. I ride with a bunch of Polaris guys and they spend more time fixing them than they do riding them.

As far as a two person ATV goes, currently Yamaha only makes a side by side UTV which you might consider as an alternative because I think you will find that your plan of pulling the kids around trailer will not be very comfortable for them.

Reactions: Julio

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would stay away from Polaris, Can-am, & newer Arctic cat's. The older Arctic cats were made by Suzuki. My buddy has a shop and he is always working on those 3 brands. In the last 3 years I have seen 2 Suzuki's and 1 Yamaha in is his shop and I can't count how many Polaris and Can-am's he has worked on. 100's minimum.

As for taking the kids I would look into a SXS with a roll cage & seat belts. If you really want to go 50" or less trail riding you will need a two up seat. Some states won't allow ATV's riding two up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi

May be a UTV is better than a ATV for your family

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Regarding a reliability, in my experience riding in big groups Polaris and Arti Cat have many problems , Cam Am isn't so bad, but Yamaha is the most reliable.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
A side by side is a great option for the family adventurer, depending how old your children are also may be a deciding factor, 4 seater SXS is great for camping and trail riding with the younger kids, they can hold all your gear with ease and protect you from the elements, which brand? either a Yamaha or a Honda, Kawasaki also makes a nice SXS with good reviews, lots of them here in my neck of the woods, if its a ATV's your considering for your family adventures only Polaris, Can AM, Artic Cat, CF Moto, offer a purpose built ATV made to accommodate two people legally, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, do not offer a two up ATV, some riders buy the cargo box style seat to be mounted on their rear rack of their ATV's to carry a extra person, while most get along fine with this set up but some area's for ATV trail riding it may be illegal and you may end up getting a fine at a spot check.

Reactions: wgc
1 - 7 of 7 Posts