Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Gonna be used for pulling up sage brush (winch?) hauling fencing (making stringing barbed wire?) and attempting to make rough roads around the property

I plan on getting a full check up then following the maintenance routine outlined in the old instruction book.

Absolute beast from what I've ridden so far. 2,500 miles and seems to be in good shape? Paid just under 3k, hopefully not too horrible a deal. Previous owner had a military background and used it for hunting so hopefully well taken care of.

Reverse is a little tricky to get into sometimes, started clicking and not finding the gear yesterday. User error maybe.

Any thoughts or advice are very much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
594 Posts
Nice buy. Welcome to GC

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I suggest a full service with proper engine oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all, I'm not able to take it in yet but here's what I've done

oil change
oil filter change
air filter cleaning
check bake oil (no rear break reservoir?)
lithium grease obvious joints
top off rear final drive
broke the winch
top off differential oil
adjust idle speed
cleaned cool bags that came with it

this this is good as hell at pulling sage, gonna get a new 3500 lbs Badlands winch

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Looken good!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your’er clicking is most likely a too high of a idle when shifting into gears, make sure your choke is off after it’s warmed up, or adjust you’re choke so idle slows enough to just keep running shift then adjust choke for desired rpm. And nice work horse you scored.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If your going to start doing some trail riding (hopefully you are) , mite want to consider some fresh tires to!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a little worried about the tires... I got a quote. maybe it's time to pull the trigger

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
I'm a little worried about the tires... I got a quote. maybe it's time to pull the trigger
Once the mod bug strikes, its tough to find a place to stop :)
Many members contract the Big Brown Truck syndrome.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Upgrading tires is just about the best upgrade one can do.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
thanks all, I'm not able to take it in yet but here's what I've done

oil change
oil filter change
air filter cleaning
check bake oil (no rear break reservoir?)
lithium grease obvious joints
top off rear final drive
broke the winch
top off differential oil
adjust idle speed
cleaned cool bags that came with it

this this is good as hell at pulling sage, gonna get a new 3500 lbs Badlands winch View attachment 98414
The back brakes are mechanical drum brakes....not hydraulic. There is no rear brake oil.
My opinion on the rear brakes.....simply remove the shoes and live without rear brakes. They are useless and will require constant attention and money to keep working. After dealing with mine for over a year trying to keep them working on my old 600, I gave up and gutted the rear brake drum completely. The front brakes are hydraulic discs, and work great.

Reactions: Mccdan and reogem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once the mod bug strikes, its tough to find a place to stop :)
Many members contract the Big Brown Truck syndrome.
I think I feel the bug already lol, I'm looking for a nice used utility trailer to tow

Upgrading tires is just about the best upgrade one can do.
New shoes... I'll bet it looks nice

The back brakes are mechanical drum brakes....not hydraulic. There is no rear brake oil.
My opinion on the rear brakes.....simply remove the shoes and live without rear brakes. They are useless and will require constant attention and money to keep working. After dealing with mine for over a year trying to keep them working on my old 600, I gave up and gutted the rear brake drum completely. The front brakes are hydraulic discs, and work great.
Very interesting, I'll look into this more... I'll focus on using the front breaks for now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fun little update-

After finally deciding the cooling fan just wasn't turning on I went into research mode on the forums and wiring diagrams

I'd poked around with the fan system I'd swear at least 10 times. On the 11th I freaking finally notice something out of place... A TOGGLE SWITCH.

I flip it on and the fan starts whirring 😵

this old bear has so many pervious owner surprises

·
Premium Member
10,674 Posts
Pictures?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
of the cart? it's this kind that dumps 90°it's built like a tank but I know the pin connection will fail eventually

I'll also have to get pics of the guts of my grizzly because I think more stuff is custom.
it's pretty easy to change gears without engaging the rear break pedal, perhaps he bypassed that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts