Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I had a fleet of quads for personal use-Sportsman, Girzzly, Hondas....ETC Sold them all to put an addition on my house and by far my favorite of them all was the 05 660 I had-over the 2014 Sportsman 570 eps I bought brand new-JUNK!

Anyways, love my new 700 and I have been using it for yard work like I did the 660 but I kept breaking winch cables and ropes on the 660 from dragging out trees and thick brush and what not, and I have a feeling the cable on this 700 wont last very long either.

I was wondering what the BEST cable/rope would be for a 2500lb factory yamaha winch? Lets just say money ISN'T an object when it comes to this-Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
I have never had a winch cable break on any of the several owned ATV's and vehicles so cannot help other then use Warn Products.

I live on mountain property and have hauled vehicles, trees, other ATV's, elk and never broke a cable. suggest Warn or similar known vendors.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Don't know about the best but I love my Warn , I've had it on 3 different atv's and pulled lots with it and no problems. You said you've had cables and ropes break so make sure you're using the correct fairlead for the rope/cable you're using.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The only time I've broke a cable on my Warn was when I had slack in the cable and got a small run at it. Not sure if this is happening when ur pulling trees and what not, but that shock load will smoke those cables pretty easily. If they're used as designed I think they're pretty stout. I did switch to synthetic rope so if it does break, I can just tie it back together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am usually yanking the trees out of the woods and stuff......

I will probably just switch it to rope now before it breaks.....So I am not dead in the water when the time comes

What size would you guys recommend? 1/4 in? 3/16ths? 1/2in?

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just stuck to the same size as the cable, I believe it was 3/16"

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
3/16 rope for me as well. I just try to be sure to protect it from abrasion at all times. And I use a standard roller fairlead (started with a new one with no knicks or gouges), not the hawse. I've seen hawse's shred the rope if they come across them at a sharp angle, like lifting a plow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts