Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Yamaha Grizzly. Love the machine but i do have some questions about the bike. I have about (166km) 13.5 hrs on her now so still in the middle of break in. I notice when I decelerate it pops or kinda back fires is that normal for them. Not overly loud. I was told that's the engine break kicking in. Also I was in a bit hole(front of bike in the air) and it stalled on me. Then it did it again after ridding i turned it off for about 5 mins then restated the bike and it stalled going into gear. I restarted the bike and have not had the issue again. Just looking for advice. Other than that I impressed with here already.

Any shed some light Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm new to grizzly also mine pops on deceleration was told to block off ais hose it's supposed to clear 80-90 percent of the backfiring . I have about 60 miles on mine and it shut off on me one time going into a ditch slowly but restarted back up and didn't do it the rest of day.i think the ais is causing the stalling also I just plugged my ais hose off last night didn't get a chance to ride it yet. Hopefully some other members chime in also.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the popping is normal operation for these engines. kinda odd wonder what causes it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Everything I have read says it is normal, It is because the engines run leaner than older models to help with emissions. My 2014 does it also. Non Premium fuel also helps.

Reactions: lyndo62

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
the AIS system adds air directly to the exhaust pipe to aid in burning off any unburnt fuel... thus making the tail pipe gasses as clean as can be. It does not affect performance and is not a function of running lean.. I add more fuel with my EHS controller and the popping gets worse. Blocking it off helps about 65%. It still pops and I continue to hate it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this is what a normal Grizzly does is pop. Even playing with that system will only help 65 percent of the time. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I believe that if there was a way to completely remove the system and block it at the pipe, it would work. I feel there is still air getting in the system even when blocked the way people typically block it. Maybe I'm wrong.. but I know my brother in laws street bike stopped popping when the blocking plate was used right at the manifold. It's a Kawi Vulcan 800.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I feel that small amounts exhaust gasses are backing up into the system and up the line that people (including me) are pinching off. Sooo, this means the air source is not "completely" eliminated.
Again, I could be wrong..
but. What would cause the popping ? If it were a lean issue, the fuel controller would be able to fix it.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Both my new Yamaha's have the lean condition pop during deceleration. I think it's the new normal, now days the machines are mapped very lean to minimize emissions. On my Yamaha's it's noticeable but not real load.

My 2013 850 Polaris and our 2009 500 Suzuki were both set to run lean and would occasionally pop during deceleration also. On those machines the pop was less frequent but much louder, it sounded like a shotgun blast.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
What year did they start this ais crap.
2014, I believe. My 14 does it. Can't recall anyone complaining about it before that. There were some "motor changes" in 14 which I believe was a change in the fuel map to make it leaner so the government tree huggers would be happier. Yamaha also boasted an increase in fuel milage that year. Makes sense.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks for all your insight guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Griz 700s and it pops on deceleration also. I hate it. It would have been a deal-breaker for me if I would have known it beforehand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts