Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Just spreading information here. I just noticed Parts Discounter on eBay now sells cylinder kits for the Grizzly 660 with Wiseco or JE Pistons, in stock or high compression and stock 100mm bore or 102mm big bore. Their more expensive than the normal kit, but that's to be expected. Still cheaper than buying the piston and gasket kit separately and boring your old cylinder.
I guess this answers my question about whether their cylinders will handle high compression pistons or not.
As soon as funds allow, I'll be installing one of these cylinders with the Wiseco 11:1 piston.

Reactions: sjeccles

·
Registered
88 Posts
You really think its worth installing cheap parts on your quad, or is this actually a quality part?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You really think its worth installing cheap parts on your quad, or is this actually a quality part?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
No I don't think cheap parts are worth installing on anything....if the parts are built cheap. Built cheap or priced cheap are 2 different things.

I have no idea personally if these Niche cylinders are good or not. But I have been looking into them for several years now. I simply can't find anything really bad to say about them. But it's hard to find good reviews too. So in my opinion, there is good news in this. The average person says nothing when things are good, but will yell as loud as they can when things are bad. So hearing nothing usually means good things. And this is not based on just the 660 cylinders. This is based on others that they sell too. Parts Discounter sells more cylinder kits on eBay than all others. Something to be said about that.
Additionally, I have the Niche Heavy Duty axles (all 4) installed on my Grizzly. Have never broken one. Not even as much as torn a boot. They have been great. I also have the Niche front driveshaft in my Grizzly. It's been problem free as well.
I have also installed several of their primary clutches. Again, they have been great and worked excellent.

Now this is just my experience and opinion. Yours could be different. These cylinders might just be junk and not worth it. But, going solely on my own experiences, I suspect these cylinder kits to be of the same quality as other parts they sell.

Just food for thought and spreading information about another product available to us.

Reactions: DrMud

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was thinking of purchasing one of their cylinder/piston kits for my Kodiak 400 as it's starting to smoke.

I'm not sure if it was a Niche brand I installed on the Moto4 I fixed up a while ago but it was an inexpensive kit off ebay and I was impressed with the machine work and appearance of the parts in it. We didn't put a whole bunch of miles on the Moto4 before selling it but it ran perfectly on several outings. A co-worker now owns it so I'll be able to monitor it for durability over time. Things can look good but be made out of sub par materials and time will tell.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm running a CP 11:1 on the stock bore. I had a blown head gasket but the CP jug is top notch. Never ran Niche but hopefully you have some good luck with it. Sounds like their other parts are holding up well for ya.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone running these Niche cylinder/piston kits yet? The one on the Moto4 225 I rebuilt is still running perfect so I bought another for the 98 Big Bear 350. One thing I noticed though is that they do not have a groove suitable for the OEM oring that goes around the cylinder sleeve at the base of the cylinder where it seals to the crankcase. On the Moto4 there wasn't really a groove at all so I just assembled it with the the gasket. The Big Bear cylinder has a bit of a groove but nowhere near as deep as the OEM cyl and I don't think the oring will compress that much. I'm thinking they're just building them to seal up with the gasket alone.

Thoughts or experience with them?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey guys,

Just spreading information here. I just noticed Parts Discounter on eBay now sells cylinder kits for the Grizzly 660 with Wiseco or JE Pistons, in stock or high compression and stock 100mm bore or 102mm big bore. Their more expensive than the normal kit, but that's to be expected. Still cheaper than buying the piston and gasket kit separately and boring your old cylinder.
I guess this answers my question about whether their cylinders will handle high compression pistons or not.
As soon as funds allow, I'll be installing one of these cylinders with the Wiseco 11:1 piston.

Ive been running there kits on EFI Polaris Rangers. Have done 4 or 5 kits so far. They are rentals and are beat on pretty good. Only issue I had was there was a coolant hole that was cast too big for for the OEM nipple to press into. Yest drilled and tapped for 3/4" NPT all was good. For $175 delivered to door cant go wrong

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im glad to have come across this post,, especially Wernerwilliams response, as that is some solid evidence that the niche kits must be pretty decent for a rebuild.

I have been losing sleep the last two nights as I just purchased an 05 660 from a Yamaha certified mechanic (he now has his own shop, and I knew him from the dealer 20 years ago) and he rebuilt with this kit. I was under the impression he used OEM parts until I played with it looking around and was quite upset/ worried that I bought a grenade with the pin out. I even called him and toyed with returning it... he assured me he has installed in many waverunners (his main biz) with good luck..

Anyway, great forum thanks for a bit of piece of mind, I wasnt sure what to do, but It sounds like i should just ride it and not worry about it, do you agree?? It only has 2 hrs on rebuild....

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone have any more Information following niche top end kits, I'm looking around at doing a 686 swap, an a friend with a raptor is as well we'd appreciate more feedback. Seems their is success any other bad reviews?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Does anyone have any more Information following niche top end kits, I'm looking around at doing a 686 swap, an a friend with a raptor is as well we'd appreciate more feedback. Seems their is success any other bad reviews?

IF INTERESTED I HAVE A YAMAHA 700 TOP END. PISTON AND JUG. 1200 KMS ON IT. CAN STILL SEE CROSS HATCH IN CYLINDER
$175 CANADAIN PLUS SHIPPING

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did the 686 big bore kit in my Grizzly. The first kit the sleeve slipped and caused the headgasket to fail. I replaced the gasket twice before finding the problem.

They sent me a replacement kit right away.

That one the headgasket started leaking immediately to the outside of the cylinder. That's when they refunded me my money.

All of that said, I also installed one of the Niche 734cc big bird kits into a 700 grizzly, and it was awesome. Worked great, zero issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts