Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post. Hi everyone! Well the title says it all. Checked the reservoir and it has fluid in it. There’s not really too much pressure when I pull the lever. Any ideas of what I should check?

·
Registered
226 Posts
The brake system probably needs bleeding. On the other hand if the lever doesn't feel like a sponge due to air in the lines, the brakes may be applying fully but you have worn out pads.

·
Premium Member
9,262 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I suggest removing the front wheels and inspecting the amount of pad material still there, if any.
Take pictures if you want us to see too.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Check brake pads for wear.

Check wheel bearings for play. If wheel bearings are very sloppy, this will give a spongy brake.

Have you done anything to the brakes recently? Have you removed a caliper recently?

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
X2 above posts
Also check the a brake pad is not sticking in the caliper. The bottom tab on the pad sometimes requires filing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
welcome to the mystery no front brake club. i battled this problem for 3 months last fall and give up because it's too cold out to work on it.
mine is a 2018 700 kodiak se, brakes went suddenly out on trail, only 300km on bike, nothing was apart prior, pads are like new. have bled brakes about 40 times now..... no luck.

OP ... I hope you have better luck than I.

·
Registered
245 Posts
welcome to the mystery no front brake club. i battled this problem for 3 months last fall and give up because it's too cold out to work on it.
mine is a 2018 700 kodiak se, brakes went suddenly out on trail, only 300km on bike, nothing was apart prior, pads are like new. have bled brakes about 40 times now..... no luck.

OP ... I hope you have better luck than I.
Possibly a bad master cylinder????

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a gut feeling possibly the master since the calipers move freely, no dirt, no leaks anywhere. But, every single person and mechanic I have explained all this to don't think it's a bad master because I can get the brakes to pump up firm after bleeding, or after its sitting. But the handle will squeeze 90% of the way to the bar on second or 3rd squeeze. I always have that last 10 % of the squeeze where I can actually lock up the brakes.
I have bled them, gravity bled them for 24, 48, 96 hrs... Same results, almost as if there is still air trapped.
I think I might just put a new master on and try it... They aren't overly expensive. Of course this happens less than a month after it was out of warranty. Murphy's Law.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah pretty simple system. Master, one line down to a T then a line down to each caliper, no bends or loops for trapped air.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts