Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Growlers are far from garbage, but if they are going to be a spare set that you won't be running for a while, give them a good wash, scrub them with soap & water and a stiff bristle brush. Wrap each one in a black garbage bag, store them out of the elements especially sunlight.
Also after washing them a good coat of a non silicone wax will really help preserve them. A simple wax is actually plain lemon pledge furniture wax.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you for the advice...... much appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
299 Posts
Good information CanadianKodiak. So the same break down process must happen to tires on vehicles also?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes, all tires break down like this. Most of my experience is with car tires. My old shoe has a rack in the back of a storage trailer that have about 40 tires on it, 2 different sizes, then stacked in front was transport tires and some boxes of odd size tubes for skidders. The car tires were back there for years, to the point they weren't even in inventory anymore. When we built a new warehouse Ave moved the trailers, they had to be emptied, we find the tires, you could poke your fingers through the sidewalls, on a few of them, the bead seperate from the tire when we picked them up. About 40 tires... Wasted away.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
No haven't heard a word. Some company just fail to respond to email inquires. Or could be the virus lock down.
Might call them this week.
I might order a set for my Queens machine. She will need them by her birthday in September.

Watched a couple tire comparison videos. The AMS Slingshot XT looks like it may be a good replacement. I don't know of anyone using them. Maybe one of our members will post up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have not pulled the trigger yet. I am kinda in limbo with all thats going on with this Lockdown order, 1/2 or better of the states population is laid off. Roegem, I am going to take a look at those AMS Slingshot XT tires just to see what they are like.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have not pulled the trigger yet. I am kinda in limbo with all thats going on with this Lockdown order, 1/2 or better of the states population is laid off. Roegem, I am going to take a look at those AMS Slingshot XT tires just to see what they are like.
Don't bother... Look for the perfect deal on Growlers....and live happily ever after

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
After looking I agree. I will just pull the trigger on the Pitbull's. At this time the 2nd place tire would be Kenda HTR's but living in Michigan we don't have a lot of hard terrain and the Pitbull's have a better tread pattern for traction on softer terrain that i ride 75% of the time and they are proven for high mileage.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
No haven't heard a word. Some company just fail to respond to email inquires. Or could be the virus lock down.
Might call them this week.
I might order a set for my Queens machine. She will need them by her birthday in September.

Watched a couple tire comparison videos. The AMS Slingshot XT looks like it may be a good replacement. I don't know of anyone using them. Maybe one of our members will post up.
Not saying to get the Pitbulls. Just giving experience.

I have experience with the Slingshot XT tires. 2 friends of mine run them and they love them. And I second their opinion. Excellent tires that perform great.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
What kinda of mileage are you guys getting with the AMS tires??

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
Not saying to get the Pitbulls. Just giving experience.

I have experience with the Slingshot XT tires. 2 friends of mine run them and they love them. And I second their opinion. Excellent tires that perform great.
They are only 6 ply and I believe that are bias-ply.
This Chaparral tire shoot out video is one of 3
Here is one of the Chaparral videos Ams tire review

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
What kinda of mileage are you guys getting with the AMS tires??
I wish I could give a good advice on wear, but I simply do not have enough experience with them to elaborate.
The 2 guys that I know with the Slingshot's do not ride that much. Mostly just during the hunting season. So I feel that is unfair and unjust to say anything about the wear rate. I will mention that one guy has had them about 6 years now, and they are showing very little to no wear. Those are mounted on a Can Am 650.

I will mention that the AMS Swampfox tires have been available for about 2 decades. Those tires are known to hold up well, with a good wear rate. If the Slingshot's use the same rubber compound, then they should give similar wear rates.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
They are only 6 ply and I believe that are bias-ply.
This Chaparral tire shoot out video is one of 3
Here is one of the Chaparral videos Ams tire review
Are the PitBull tires a radial tire??

I wish I could give a good advice on wear, but I simply do not have enough experience with them to elaborate.
The 2 guys that I know with the Slingshot's do not ride that much. Mostly just during the hunting season. So I feel that is unfair and unjust to say anything about the wear rate. I will mention that one guy has had them about 6 years now, and they are showing very little to no wear. Those are mounted on a Can Am 650.

I will mention that the AMS Swampfox tires have been available for about 2 decades. Those tires are known to hold up well, with a good wear rate. If the Slingshot's use the same rubber compound, then they should give similar wear rates.
Thats a good question rubber compound

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
PitBull Rockers and Growlers are indeed radials

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Well I am going to pull the trigger soon on the Pitbulls. Now do I want to spend a extra $58. for the Ubers VS XOR's. I can get 4 XOR's 25.5"X 8-10"X12" for $542. Or get the Ubers 26.5"X 9-11"X12" for $600. I need to add tax to both sets but free shipping on both sets. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a knock off version of the slingshot. Put them on the bike the day I picked it up, 40km later, I took them off and went with reptile radials. The slingshot style had really good traction in loose gravel and snow, but on asphalt and hard pack trails, the damn near shook the handle bars out of my hand.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well I am going to pull the trigger soon on the Pitbulls. Now do I want to spend a extra $58. for the Ubers VS XOR's. I can get 4 XOR's 25.5"X 8-10"X12" for $542. Or get the Ubers 26.5"X 9-11"X12" for $600. I need to add tax to both sets but free shipping on both sets. What do you guys think??
The smaller set (25.5s) are 6 plys and will be lighter by some 26 lbs.

The Ubers (26.5s) are 8 plys and have wheel guards built in witch is a nice extra. They would also offer a better ride in rougher trails.

Both tires will blow your mind away.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I had a knock off version of the slingshot. Put them on the bike the day I picked it up, 40km later, I took them off and went with reptile radials. The slingshot style had really good traction in loose gravel and snow, but on asphalt and hard pack trails, the damn near shook the handle bars out of my hand.
Ya that's why I am going to go with a proven brand. Pitbulls have awesome reviews by everyone that has owned them. I don't know why I was second guessing.

The smaller set (25.5s) are 6 plys and will be lighter by some 26 lbs.

The Ubers (26.5s) are 8 plys and have wheel guards built in witch is a nice extra. They would also offer a better ride in rougher trails.

Both tires will blow your mind away.
Why do you say the 8 ply's would ride better in rough trails?? It surely has a stiffer sidewall??

41 - 60 of 75 Posts