Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently yamalube ultramtic grease is discontinued. If this is the case what grease is the the new standard for yamaha primary clutches?

I currently have on hand, Bel-Ray waterproof grease. Which I plan on using on my secondary clutch, but not sure about the primary clutch grease now.

Sidenote, I have seen some people talk about "Tinkseal" grease on another forum. Not seen it here.

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
365 Posts
I don't think the secondary needs grease..

The primary doesn't "need" grease either. It's only there for noise suppression.

If you ride in super dusty areas you should consider going greaseless.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The belray should be fine on the roller weights if it's a high heat waterproof gearse. You can use the save grease to lube the shafts also on both primary and secondary.
But in reality, as mentioned, you don't need to use grease on the weights, it's strictly for noise suppression. The plastic sleeves on the rollers is made of a glass reinforced self lubricating nylon. Many of us on this forum run greaseless with the oem weights.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The belray should be fine on the roller weights if it's a high heat waterproof gearse. You can use the save grease to lube the shafts also on both primary and secondary.
But in reality, as mentioned, you don't need to use grease on the weights, it's strictly for noise suppression. The plastic sleeves on the rollers is made of a glass reinforced self lubricating nylon. Many of us on this forum run greaseless with the oem weights.

Thanks guys. I do appreciate the response. My trails are in WV so we get some dust and/or water year round. If a man decides to go "greaseless", is there anything I should know before reassembly? I assume that just means no grease on the rollers correct? Thanks, Jordan

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the response. My trails are in WV so we get some dust and/or water year round. If a man decides to go "greaseless", is there anything I should know before reassembly? I assume that just means no grease on the rollers correct? Thanks, Jordan
Yup, still put a dap on the splined shaft, but inside where the rollers are, you clean all the grease out, spotless. Just remember to squeeze the cover to the sheave during reassembly so none of the weights flip out of thier channels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, still put a dap on the splined shaft, but inside where the rollers are, you clean all the grease out, spotless. Just remember to squeeze the cover to the sheave during reassembly so none of the weights flip out of thier channels.

That sounds simple enough, I'll definitely put some hard thought behind that next week when I get to monkey on it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That sounds simple enough, I'll definitely put some hard thought behind that next week when I get to monkey on it.
Yup, it makes for eaaier maintence down the road also, no dust packed in the grease to clean she replace every few thousand miles. As for noise difference, it's really very very minimal at slow speed, not noticable of you weren't listening for it. Once you are moving out on the trail, variable throttle ammout and you can't hear the weights at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, it makes for eaaier maintence down the road also, no dust packed in the grease to clean she replace every few thousand miles. As for noise difference, it's really very very minimal at slow speed, not noticable of you weren't listening for it. Once you are moving out on the trail, variable throttle ammout and you can't hear the weights at all.

Can I just use the stock oem weights thats already in my primary? Or do I have to purchase a special weight in order to go greaseless?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Can I just use the stock oem weights thats already in my primary? Or do I have to purchase a special weight in order to go greaseless?
No, your oem weights are perfectly fine to use. The oems have a glass reinforced nylon jacket that is actually a sort of self lubricating plastic, it's slick enough to not bind or wear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, your oem weights are perfectly fine to use. The oems have a glass reinforced nylon jacket that is actually a sort of self lubricating plastic, it's slick enough to not bind or wear.

Sweet. One last question on this greaseless topic. Can I also use the factory sliders or would I have to get a specific set as well?

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
@Jordan All good information listed above.
However, definitely grease the secondary as well as the shafts of both sheaves and a dab in the cage bearing. I use bel-ray wheel bearing grease for all.
If you do decided to grease the roller weights. Any good high temperature waterproof wheel bearing grease will work fine.

Reactions: wgc

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Question- for all of you Guru's that are running greaseless with OEM are you leaving the end cap/cover off. I understand it was there to keep the grease off of the primary sheave. I also remember reading some guys were having problems adding shims (to much) to the sheave as the screws were interfering with the primary cover?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Either or, some leave it off, mine is still on. You can fit 1.5mm of shims. Screws don't really seem to be as much of a problem as running out of visible spline on the shaft

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
The 700 will take 2 mm's of shim without the grease cover and it's close for full spline engagement be careful, and with the grease cover on back down to 1.7mm's so the screws clear the cage.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
Question- for all of you Guru's that are running greaseless with OEM are you leaving the end cap/cover off. I understand it was there to keep the grease off of the primary sheave. I also remember reading some guys were having problems adding shims (to much) to the sheave as the screws were interfering with the primary cover?
I leave them off. The newer 700's have a little different cage. It has a more clearance.

Reactions: wgc

·
Registered
2015 grizzly 700. Barkers dual exhausts, Dynojet PCV, 25” dirt devils, 14 inch light bar, 2x 3” pods
10 Posts
Tink seal is a better consistency then the Yamaha grease and is also designed for the ultramatic transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
944 Posts
Tink seal is a better consistency then the Yamaha grease and is also designed for the ultramatic transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holy, did a kid grease those rollers in that ebay ad? About 10x too much lol

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
Holy, did a kid grease those rollers in that ebay ad? About 10x too much lol

Looks like the guy learned from Just Because I Said.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts