Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to chase down what seems like an electrical gremlin.

The other day I went out and the atv started no problem, I tried to engage 4wd drive with the button but it never worked. I drove to my neighbor's house and left it running while I went into the house, I then heard it cut out. When I went back the key was on but nothing was lit up, pod, lights nothing. I removed the cover with the ignition switch and made sure all as good there and after a few minutes it started working again...as well my 4WD button started working again.

I used compressed air and blew out all connections and switches on the handlebars and everything seemed to be good for a day or so. I was on a run the next night and after a small break we decided to go again...same issue happened! No power when switching the key. We tried a few things and resorted to the fact that our run was over and hooked it up to tow it out. I left the key on while towing and after about 50 feet it all lit up again and I was able to start as per normal, the 4WD drive however still did not engage when pressed.

Since then I have pulled out all fuses, connections etc. to make sure all were clean and good. I don't see any obvious issues. As it stands right now the bike has been turning on pretty regularly but the 4WD button doesn't engage it all the time...its completely random. Do you think I'm dealing with one issue here between the 4WD selector switch and power issues?

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
I'd be measuring voltage on the keyed switch next time it cuts out. If there is voltage in but not out on the keyed switch with it still turned on, replace that. Then work on the 4x4 issue.

There was a thread on here in the last few months where I believe a 450 had a issue and replacing the keyed switch resolved it. I don't recall if the issue was identical to yours.

·
Vendor
717 Posts
^^What he said. Start it up and wiggle the harness by the ignition and the harness in general to see if you can get it to shut off. This will give you an idea of where to start looking if it boils down to a wiring issue. You can test the 4wd switch by this video to see if it's good or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts