Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 550 grizzly. It shut off on Me about 5 times while riding. Each time I could turn the ignition off and back on again and it would start up. The sixth time it would start at all. I have no spark. I have replaced the coil, plug and I have code 33. Can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
The E.F.I. guys will be around soon, but does it crank and not start?
Sometime a new plug is all that is needed. It may show spark to the eye, but not be hot enough to start.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
My son was just here about two weeks ago, his Grizz has been suffering since he lost his sponsor. Lol.

He changed the spark plug, then machine would not start at all, I suggested looking at the coil wire, he messed with it and one of the small wires that plug into the main body fell off, then the other one fell. Corrosion...mud.....more mud.....improper cleaning after mud....

He has a J.O.B. now. Did I mention that he lost his sponsor?

So, the dilimna is buy the cheap Chinese made one, reviews says suck, made my problem worse, or buy O E M. His sponsor would have bsought Oem online for best price found....around a hundred bucks....he tries to save a buck and get the Chinese...around 30 bucks....What a bargain!

Put it on, but part came in late, he missed the group ride... machine won’t start, turns the key off. And we are talking melt down city. With the key off the coil starts sizzling and frying and just melts. There is no way to get the two little wires wrong, the connections are different size. Forgot what he did next, but he took the melt down part back to local all make second hand ATV dealer. They sorta take it back...apply money to a Oem part...125 bucks...yeah I know....but this is his deal....we all learn as life goes on. Did I mention that he lost his sponsor, even goes around mud holes now...lol.

New Oem part....life is good machine lives for another day and another ride in the books.

So long story for the big question on the new coil......Chinese part for the good price? Or Oem?

And, welcome to the forum, good people here.

And did I mention that his machine has been sick since Ridgway passed through around Thanksgiving. You see, he lost his sponsor..........lol.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! Originally I bought a Chinese coil from ebay. Got maybe 3 kms in total from it and lost spark. Now I have an OEM coil on it and still no spark. I haven't found any melted or corroded wires as of yet.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
We may need Dezz here, 2014 is pretty new machine for wires to be corroding like my sons 2010. Has the machine had a hard life?

The next corrosion wire that we have dealt with is under the front cover where the battery goes...I will not know the correct terminology...

Before we go here, did you change the spark plug again after the Chinese coil? But that would not give us a code 33...

Back to our other problem, this is a relay? Drivers side of machine or left side closest to the handle bars...w had another wire rotted off there.

I am wondering if the Chinese melted some of your wiring harness, to melt down like my sons, this thing got pretty hot. Did the machine run ok after the Oem coil install?

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
Hey...Nlgriz...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

Check the ignition and fuel injection fuses.
Also cycle the kill switch a half dozen times. Might need to be cleaned or replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Hey...Nlgriz...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

Check the ignition and fuel injection fuses.
Also cycle the kill switch a half dozen times. Might need to be cleaned or replaced.
Probably the ignition fuses wire is the one that we had rotted? Not sure, my manual is out in the garage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did replace the plug since the Chinese coil. The bike hasn't had a hard life at all. 95% dusty trail riding with my wife. Its then washed and stored in the shed. Never even really seen rain or snow. All fuses check out good as well. Stator has .3 ohms of resistance. Lol this has me stumped.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
What does a code 33 mean?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Code 33 has to do with a fault in the ignition from what I understand. Also it hasn't ran at all since the Chinese coil was removed and an OEM installed.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Code 33 has to do with a fault in the ignition from what I understand. Also it hasn't ran at all since the Chinese coil was removed and an OEM installed.

Ok, hard work time, start looking at the wiring from the coil backwards. See if your wiring is melted. If you have a ohm meter disconnect those two little wires that plug into the coil and trace them backwards to the other end. I do not know where they go because I was forcing my son to learn something.

As hot as his Chinese part got, good chance that you have some wires melted. I was amazed that a fuse did not blow before his melted like it did, really scary, could have caught machine on fire.

Go find the ignition coil fuse like a Roegem said, check that first, and maybe the other wire goes to the fuel pump like Roegem said, check that too. And if somebody can confirm that is where they go, check the wire with a ohm meter or continuity tester.

Do everything that Reogem said, always wondered where his user name came from? Last name? Or a play on words real ole gem?

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Your machine is pretty new with no abuse, you might need to be looking for rodent damage, wires chewed on, by the little furry fellows.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I traced back the wires from the coil and have continuity on both. One goes to the ECU and the other to the kill switch. I dont see and damage on either wire. I checked for voltage at the coil and have 11.9 volts (constant with key on) on one wire and 9.5 on the other wire while cranking. Again guys thanks for the responses I am drawing a blank.

·
Premium Member
7,910 Posts
.....All fuses check out good as well. Stator has .3 ohms of resistance.........
Stator should be .018-.132 ohms
.3 is way high. If the battery is not charged properly and the injector doesn't see a least 7 volts it will not open.

Crankshaft position sensor should be 459-561 ohms.
The CPS can be erratic. It could be a frayed wire.

Consider checking the values again.

I had a issue with my 13 700. It would stall unexpectedly. It did it only a few time. IT was a gummed up kill switch. I cycled it on/off several time then it started. Had do this several time in one week. Clean the switch never happened again.
All of this could be a bad spark plug. Always install a new plug first even if you have already installed a new plug.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did install a brand new plug. I will double check the kill switch again after work, as well as the values on the stator. The CPS did test good. But the stator tested around .3 ohms. The battery is fully charged and hooked up to a tender to keep it up. With that stator being a bit high will that prevent it from getting spark? A new one is 400 from yamaha so I am a bit apprehensive. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Stator should be .018-.132 ohms
.3 is way high. If the battery is not charged properly and the injector doesn't see a least 7 volts it will not open.

Crankshaft position sensor should be 459-561 ohms.
The CPS can be erratic. It could be a frayed wire.

Consider checking the values again.

I had a issue with my 13 700. It would stall unexpectedly. It did it only a few time. IT was a gummed up kill switch. I cycled it on/off several time then it started. Had do this several time in one week. Clean the switch never happened again.
All of this could be a bad spark plug. Always install a new plug first even if you have already installed a new plug.
100% agree with this.
Those stator readings are too high. Additionally, is this the stator charging readings or the pulse coil resistance readings?
The stator readings would give you charging issues, but should not effect spark. The pulse coil will effect spark.

I would make sure your pulse coil resistance levels are within proper specifications. A bad ignition coil can damage pulse coils and the associated wiring.

With stator readings that high, it more than likely needs to be replaced anyway. A new stator assembly will come with a pulse coil. This will fix 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The CPS tested at 500 ohms. The stator charging tested at .3 ohms. Good to know that the stator will not affect spark though. So with a new coil, spark plug. CPS and lean angle testing good sounds like it's in the wiring somewhere? Oddly enough after trying to start this a bunch of times, the spark plug is always dry even though the pump kicks in.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
The CPS tested at 500 ohms. The stator charging tested at .3 ohms. Good to know that the stator will not affect spark though. So with a new coil, spark plug. CPS and lean angle testing good sounds like it's in the wiring somewhere? Oddly enough after trying to start this a bunch of times, the spark plug is always dry even though the pump kicks in.
Fyi....I forgot what model we were talking about. The crank position sensor takes the role of the pulse coil on the 700.

If the plug is dry, have you checked the injector? The injector might be bad, or it's not recieving its signal voltage to open.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually looking into the injector as we speak. Would the injector and the coil be on the same circuit so you know?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts