1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
What is all that gunk in there?

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's what happens when you mix oil and water/coolant at high speed for a long time... Kinda neat! ;)

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
That’ll do it!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That's what happens when you mix oil and water/coolant at high speed for a long time... Kinda neat! ;)
Ahh yess, it's been many years since I have seen that, it looked kinda familiar. I think the last time was about 1980 when a buddy of mine's Chevy Vega crapped out and we tore the engine down in high school shop. That was Chevy thought it would be OK to coat the inside of an aluminum cylinder wall with a little frying pan teflon, LOL! Once the coating wore through, the piston rings cut marvelous grooves through the cylinder wall and into the cooling jacket in very short order. What a mess that was!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Now that I have searched my memory banks a little more, the progression of events with the alum head, alum block, poorly machined, cheapo crapo Vega engine was:
1. failed head gasket
2.introduction of coolant into the combustion chamber
3.simultaneous "washing" off lubricant off the teflon coated cylinder walls and destruction of piston
I wish we had digital photography back then, the innards of that engine were a sight to behold, and a case study in how NOT to build an engine. After a couple years of that Chevy decided to put iron cylinder liners in the block and improved the head gasket.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Ha ha a buddy had a 1974 vega, four speed manual, what a blast to drive around town.
@biknboat, yeah those Vega's were actually a cool looking car and fun to drive. It's too bad they were an "economy" car. Of course, the build quality in the '70's was pretty piss poor anyway. But, What a great fun project that would be now. Totally re-build and beef up the uni-body and suspension, then fit one of these new 300+ HP V-6 engines from the Camaro into it! That would haul ass!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes they were kind of a cute car. I did see one with a 454 chevy in it at Niagra falls in Canada years back. They have a street called Lundy Lane where people cruise their old muscle cars during the summer. They also had a " drive in " restaurant where everyone hung out.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Yes they were kind of a cute car. I did see one with a 454 chevy in it at Niagra falls in Canada years back. They have a street called Lundy Lane where people cruise their old muscle cars during the summer. They also had a " drive in " restaurant where everyone hung out.
@biknboat, yup, they had an amazing amount of room under the hood. But a 454? Holy smokes!! The rear tires would have to be 3 feet wide each!! I've been out of the hot rod scene for a long time now. You used to be able to buy kits that would make a small block chevy and a TH350 tranny pretty much a drop in swap. I haven't seen a Vega in at least 30 years. There must still be some around, just not up here in the rust belt maybe.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ya I haven't seen a vega in years, not even at any of the car shows or cruises that go on here in the summer. Probably all rotted away and crushed years ago. Wow a 350 in a vega would of really tore up the streets lol...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts