Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
You must buy their cleaner as well in order to get the No-toil out of the filter. Honda sells the same stuff (Honda Pro) and states on bottle manufactured by No-toil. I don't care for using mineral/gas or whatever to clean the regular filter oils. Where do I store it, where do I get rid of it etc. No-toil down the drain, Bio-degradable.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You must buy their cleaner as well in order to get the No-toil out of the filter. Honda sells the same stuff (Honda Pro) and states on bottle manufactured by No-toil. I don't care for using mineral/gas or whatever to clean the regular filter oils. Where do I store it, where do I get rid of it etc. No-toil down the drain, Bio-degradable.
Definitely don't need no toil cleaner to clean no toil oil from filters. I've used methol hydrate, wave I've used mineral spirts/varsol. Cleans it out the very best. And yes it will clean out the honda stuff too, my honda is what most of my no toil filter oil was used on.
Storage isn't a problem, it's stored in the shelf next to my filter oils, engine and diff oils, spray paints etc. Has is kept in a sealed jerry can. As for disposal, it all goes into a 5 gallon pail with my used motor oil that used to get taken to the city landfill site where they have a hazardous material disposal building. But now I'm saving all that to burn in my diesel air heater in my cargo trailer in the winter. I can burn diesel, or motor oil thinned with old gas/dirty filter cleaning gas. So now my waste is being used to heat my work area and thaw ice off my bike after winter riding

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I visited the Yamaha dealer and spoke to both Service and Parts. They both believe that the factory filters come with adequate oil to work properly without adding oil. I'll make sure the existing oil in the filters is evenly distributed throughout the filters and install them. I will think about what I'll do next time the filters need cleaned, but No-Toil is looking less and less attractive.

I hear good things about Maxima...what are everyone's thoughts on that as a filter oil?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the best way to clean the filters if they have petroleum based oil; not No-Toil?

·
Premium Member
8,539 Posts
I have 3 filters for each machine 1 stocker and 2 uni's.
I use to use spray filter oils several different brands. Klotz seem to be the best. I switched to Belray liquid. Belray is very tacky and stays in the filter. Maybe the same oil Yamaha uses. It is very good stuff. BTW having a tablespoon pool in the air box is a good thing.
On wash day I clean 4 filters. I use solvent, mineral spirts, sometime #1 diesel fuel. Then dawn dish soap. Dawn is probably close to what no toil mystery cleaner is since toil is/maybe fat based.
I use a 2 gallon plastic jug with the side cut out. Put a ½ -¾ gallon or so of your favorite solvent in it. Roll the filter around squeeze out the air/solvent a few times then let it soak for a while, overnight is good. Do the squeeze out thing until it looks clean. I let the solvent sit over night. The solids sink to the bottom then I slowly pour the solvent in to a jug for the next wash day. It can be reused 2-3 time.
In another container have a rich mixture of Dawn and hot water. Do the soak squeeze out thing again. Never twist or wring out the filter. Rinse the filter in clean water squeeze it out again hang some place for a few days to dry.
If I'm in a hurry to dry the filters I lay an old box fan on sawhorses pile the filters on top. Turn the fan on medium. Dry in about an hour.

My 2.062¢

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have 3 filters for each machine 1 stocker and 2 uni's.
I use to use spray filter oils several different brands. Klotz seem to be the best. I switched to Belray liquid. Belray is very tacky and stays in the filter. Maybe the same oil Yamaha uses. It is very good stuff. BTW having a tablespoon pool in the air box is a good thing.
On wash day I clean 4 filters. I use solvent, mineral spirts, sometime #1 diesel fuel. Then dawn dish soap. Dawn is probably close to what no toil mystery cleaner is since toil is/maybe fat based.
I use a 2 gallon plastic jug with the side cut out. Put a ½ -¾ gallon or so of your favorite solvent in it. Roll the filter around squeeze out the air/solvent a few times then let it soak for a while, overnight is good. Do the squeeze out thing until it looks clean. I let the solvent sit over night. The solids sink to the bottom then I slowly pour the solvent in to a jug for the next wash day. It can be reused 2-3 time.
In another container have a rich mixture of Dawn and hot water. Do the soak squeeze out thing again. Never twist or wring out the filter. Rinse the filter in clean water squeeze it out again hang some place for a few days to dry.
If I'm in a hurry to dry the filters I lay an old box fan on sawhorses pile the filters on top. Turn the fan on medium. Dry in about an hour.

My 2.062¢
I usually keep 2 filters on the go, and this cleaning procedure is almost exactly what i do.

·
Registered
783 Posts
K&n is the last filter I'll run on an engine, especially in an offroad environment. I run on in the cabin filter in the truck. That's it. Too much bypass for my bike. Very impressed with the yamaha oem filter, and love the uni filters.

·
Premium Member
8,539 Posts
Most know that we ride 5000-6000 miles a season so one filter would be a real PITA.
Oiling...
I have a plastic shoe box with a ½ inch or more oil in it that the filter soaks in. I knead the filter then squeeze out as much as possible. I put them in zip lock bags. Before I seal the bags I use a board the size of the filter to to flatten and squeeze out the air in the filter along with some oil. While compressed I seal the bags. For traveling I save those waterproof bubble pack shipping envelopes. Two compressed zip lock filters can be stored in one of those.

I bought two filters from member @Scoundrel when they arrived they were in vacuum sealed bags. A guy just gave me a manual vacuum sealing contraption with bags. I'm going to try it next wash day.

Reactions: DenverDan

·
Registered
783 Posts
Most know that we ride 5000-6000 miles a season so one filter would be a real PITA.
Oiling...
I have a plastic shoe box with a ½ inch or more oil in it that the filter soaks in. I knead the filter then squeeze out as much as possible. I put them in zip lock bags. Before I seal the bags I use a board the size of the filter to to flatten and squeeze out the air in the filter along with some oil. While compressed I seal the bags. For traveling I save those waterproof bubble pack shipping envelopes. Two compressed zip lock filters can be stored in one of those.

I bought two filters from member @Scoundrel when they arrived they were in vacuum sealed bags. A guy just gave me a manual vacuum sealing contraption with bags. I'm going to try it next wash day.
Now that's a good idea.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts