Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Official Dates: Arrive Sunday Sept 16. Official rides will be Sept 17-21(5 days). Head for home on Sept 22.

**Please bring and wear a helmet on all of the rides**

This is the official thread about a group GC ride planed in Taylor Park Colorado the fall of 2018. Arrive on Sunday 09/16/18, first day ride being Monday 09/17. Last day ride Friday 09/21, head home on Sat 09/22.

September in the high country is known to be cool but mild with sunny clear afternoons. Later in September the Aspens can be viewed changing from green to a beautiful yellow color. September is also far less busy than the summer months because kids are back in school and most everyone is done with their family vacations. Their are several options for lodging and camping but it is important to reserve in advance. At this point I myself will either stay in a cabin in Taylor Park or I might pull my toy hauler out and camp.

LODGING

Here's a few places that have lodging (cabins) that are ride in and out, with no trailering required.

Taylor Park Trading Post (970-641-2555) - They also have an onsite RV campground with full hookups. According to wgc, he believes the restaurants will be closed in the general area so bring your own food to cook. The TP general store does have some food items to purchased along with beer.

There is a fueling station at the Trading Post.

http://holtsguestranch.yolasite.com/

In Almont Colorado about 25-30 miles down the road (you will have to trailer).

www.3riversresort.com

Home | Almont, CO | Family Owned Vacation Resort Since 1893

Their are several campgrounds in and around Taylor Park as well as you can dry camp in several places within the National Forest.

Somewhat Local Weather Link
Pitkin, CO on Weather Underground

PERMITS (Available now for 2018)

If you are from out of state you will have to buy a non resident ohv permit which cost $25.25 and can be purchased online through the Colorado State Parks (link for CO OHV Permit, resident and non-resident) or in Taylor Park at the Taylor Park Trading Post. All CO OHV permits are yearly and expire the following year on March 31st. CO 2018 OHV permits are available now to order online.

GETTING THERE (CO Road Conditions - COtrip.org)

Sept 05 2018 UPDATE - A call to the Trading Post confirmed Cottonwood Pass is still closed. Make sure you route through Gunninson to get to Taylor Park.

If approaching from the WEST: You will want to take roads that will route you to the south through Gunnison, CO. At Gunnison, head north on Main street (Hwy 135) and then at Almont, take Rd 742 up to the Taylor Park area.

If approaching from the EAST: When approaching the area from the east, make sure that mapping software is routing you down Hwy 285 until you reach Poncha Springs area, then west on Hwy 50 over Monarch Pass and down into Gunnison. From Gunnison, north on Main street (Hwy 135) and then at Almont, take Rd 742 up to the Taylor Park area.

Google maps seems to be routing, at least for me, using Chalk Creek Drive (Rd 162) at Nathrop which will ultimately route you through Tincup. DO NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE! Rd 162 becomes a 4x4 trail which has lots of rocks, ruts and is tight with switchbacks. 4x4 vehicles have problems on this route without trailers.

A popular way to get to Taylor Park, if approaching from the east side of the Taylor Park area, is over Cottonwood Pass which is Rd 306 (Main St) heading west out of Buena Vista, CO. Cottonwood Pass is CLOSED in 2018. It is a seasonal road and was closed in 2017 while road improvements and paving were being done and will be closed during 2018 as well. Lots of rain during the 2017 season has led to many delays and will be closed all 2018 season too per USDOT. Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation Last Updated: May 2018.

Please feel free to post if you have any questions or if you're interested in going. I think it would be fun to get a good group of guys/gals together and ride like we've done in the past with Moab.

My recommendation would be a 5 day group ride. Some could ride longer or shorter if they so choose, but there's at least 5 days of unbelievable riding. I would be glad to lead a group to ride because I know the area very well. If there turns out to be a large group my best advice would be to split into smaller groups to make it easier on everyone involved.

Plan for it to be very cold and possibly wet but hope for 60-70 degree highs and sun. Two years ago during the same week in Sept, low got down to 20 degrees but it warmed into the 60's with sun. We did not get rained on but the CO mountains are fickle so bring your rain gear and warm cloths. Be prepared for freezing temperatures in the mornings and late evenings.

2018 Taylor Park Fall Ride Suggested Itinerary: Attached is a zip file with an excel spreadsheet to download and print out.

Please note that Day 1 8:30am MDT, we will all gather at the Taylor Park Trading Post area and have a quick, group safety meeting before heading out. We want this trip to be safe and fun for everyone. Thanks.

• Day 1 (Monday) Italian Creek, Reno Ridge/American Flag Mtn./ Cement Creek Road.
    Optional: top of Mt. Tilton adds 1.6 miles​
  • Day 2 Taylor Park/Tincup/ St. Elmo to Mt. Antero/Mt. White/Browns Lake.
    Optional: Baldwin Lakes round trip adds 6.6 miles/ Boulder Mtn round trip adds 10 miles​
  • Day 3 Taylor River Road/ Taylor Pass/ Tellerium Creek.
    Optional: Pieplant Mill​
  • Day 4 Tincup Pass/St. Elmo/Hancock Pass/Alpine Tunnel/Cumberland Pass/Pitkin.
    Optional: Pitkin 5.2 miles round trip/ side trip to the top of Tomichi and back adds 2.4​
  • Day 5 Tincup/ Duncan/Cumblnd Pass/Nap Pass/Slaughterhse Gulch/Cross Mtn/ U-Park.
    Optional: Union Canyon (trail 10) adds 5.6 miles round trip​

• Day 6 Taylor River Road/ Texas Lakes/Pieplant Mill/Lilly Pond

GC List: I believe I have captured who has stated what on this thread, if not, let me know (RedRocket)

WENT
@RansomP
@RedRocket
@rwreuter
@it400
@Blklab
@reogem & 3 cheeseheads
@DenverDan& wife who was an animal riding!
@rio wife will be along camping :)
@begeberg

@monksblood (had some truck troubles, had to cancel but still road Salida, CO)
@BaldEagle + cousin (in area and may do a couple rides)

**The below picture attachment and .xls.zip file were updated 31JUL2018.

Attachments

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,663 Posts
Thanks Ransom! This is a good idea to get this started now to give enough time for everyone to plan. Count me in. Just need to OK it with the boss... the real boss. I will be dry camping in my travel trailer.

I do want to provide a bit of extra info. For those of you that have been to TP and/or if you map a route to there, be aware Cottonwood Pass may be closed again next year as the road is being improved and paved. Cottonwood Pass is closed this year and I've heard that expectations are it will be closed next summer too. Completely dependent on how far along they get with the road improvements. What this means for getting to TP is if Cottonwood Pass is still closed, you will need to approach through Gunnison, CO and head north. This adds about 1 hour coming from the east side of TP when compared to going over Cottonwood Pass via Buena Vista.

However, coming up the canyon to TP via Gunnison is a very scenic drive and if you fish/fly fish, the Taylor is considered a prime river in CO. I will plan on bringing my fly fishing gear if anyone is interested in fishing but be aware there are lots of catch and release restrictions and CO is very particular about checking for following the restrictions.

I hope a lot of you can make it and please do bring and ride with a helmet.

From a couple of years ago during the same time in the fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just spent 8 days in the Taylor Park and Pitkin areas camping and riding ATVs. Be aware that between TP and Tincup much of the dispersed camping has been closed down. Also, the TP campground stuffs you in like sardines and we couldn't have campfires there but disbursed camping was open by Pothole lake #2 up the road. We were there this month, the 11th thru the 19th and each night it was down in the low 40s but days were beautiful.

TP cabins lease up quickly for the following year as does the campground so if this takes off make sure you get your reservations early. The campground told us they are almost booked for next year already when we were there. Let us know when you get a date set so we can see if that works and if there is lodging available.

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
Just spent 8 days in the Taylor Park and Pitkin areas camping and riding ATVs. Be aware that between TP and Tincup much of the dispersed camping has been closed down.
That is what wgc told me as well concerning the dispersed camping near Tincup. Which is fine since there are so many places around TP to dry camp, especially north of the reservoir.

Strange we didn't run into each other when out there, we arrived the evening of Thursday, Aug 17th, but the place is so massive. We were dry camping almost exactly 3 miles from the end of the pavement on Taylor River Road, river side of the road. Also interesting to hear your reports on the morning lows as my thermometer showed every morning around 6:30a to be about 29 degrees. That was confirmed by the guy camping with us and by the amount of frost each morning. I suppose the difference in the cold air we encountered pushed down the valley from the higher locations.

When we were out there two years ago, it was the last week the Trading Post RV park was open and there was only a handful of people staying in the park. I'm not certain of cabin occupancy during the same time. It was even more chilly though, got down to 20 degrees one night, my fresh hose froze solid. Days were VERY nice though.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been kicking around dates and this is what I've camp up with. Arrive Sunday Sept 16. Official rides will be Sept 17-21(5 days). Head for home on Sept 22.

As far as finding a cabin goes. We've never had problems booking a cabin in mid to late September. If I were going to book a cabin I would not wait until the spring. I would probably do it some time in November or December. If you don't mind to trailer, 3 Rivers Resort in Almont has always had cabins available last minute for another option. Plus, there is also Holts which is right down the road from the Taylor Park Trading Post cabins.

Reactions: rwreuter

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Oh man, would I like to be able to do that. Hopefully we will all be in good enough shape to do it when I retire in 8 years. For now, just not enough time off to make the trip from Maine. I hope you guys pull it off and have a great time. It's on my bucket list!

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is what wgc told me as well concerning the dispersed camping near Tincup. Which is fine since there are so many places around TP to dry camp, especially north of the reservoir.

Strange we didn't run into each other when out there, we arrived the evening of Thursday, Aug 17th, but the place is so massive. We were dry camping almost exactly 3 miles from the end of the pavement on Taylor River Road, river side of the road. Also interesting to hear your reports on the morning lows as my thermometer showed every morning around 6:30a to be about 29 degrees. That was confirmed by the guy camping with us and by the amount of frost each morning. I suppose the difference in the cold air we encountered pushed down the valley from the higher locations.

When we were out there two years ago, it was the last week the Trading Post RV park was open and there was only a handful of people staying in the park. I'm not certain of cabin occupancy during the same time. It was even more chilly though, got down to 20 degrees one night, my fresh hose froze solid. Days were VERY nice though.

We took off to Pitkin that Tuesday and it seemed to be much warmer there given we had a fire as well! We only had one night early in the week when we first got there where it got into the 30's. Perfect for tent camping and sleeping on a thin Thermarest on the ground huh??

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
Arrive Sunday Sept 16. Official rides will be Sept 17-21(5 days). Head for home on Sept 22.
Those dates sound good to me.

Just need to wait and see once more members have read this thread to see if the dates work for the majority.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me after labor day and before October would probably be fine. Over the years we've visited Taylor Park roughly the 3rd week of September and the weather has historically been great. The fall foliage isn't quite peak, but still beautiful.

My thinking on a Monday-Friday ride would be to let people arrive and then drive home over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Sign me up!:grin2:

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
hehe, Ransom was convinced you'd be showing up. You going to drag along blklab???

Reactions: Blklab and it400

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
We took off to Pitkin that Tuesday and it seemed to be much warmer there given we had a fire as well! We only had one night early in the week when we first got there where it got into the 30's. Perfect for tent camping and sleeping on a thin Thermarest on the ground huh??
While we were out riding, we came across a handful of campsites that had tents. Only thing that crossed my mind was brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :grin2:

I have tent camped in the snow, but it took plenty of anti-freeze.

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Ransom- I got your text earlier but was tied up. Hell yes, I'd be interested in that trip! It will depend heavily on what we have going on when we get closer, though. Got room in your trailer for a few extras? lol

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm glad it400 and blklab are going. Its good to have more riders from the show me state!

Okbear, are you going to hide out in my trailer or do you need me to haul something for you? LOL!

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
Hey...Disco...
Can I come out for the ride? Late Sept works good for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
What about this guy?

Attachments

·
Grizzled
3,663 Posts
Hey...Disco...
Can I come out for the ride? Late Sept works good for me.
I really hope this doesn't indicate there will be a disco ball hung out at camp! That's a bit too much, even for me. Wait, unless there's a scantly clad female doing the dancing. A wig, makeup and a dress on Ransom will in no way be acceptable!!!

What about this guy?
How the hell did you guys get him to do that? I thought he was terrified of heights and wouldn't even come close to getting near the edge of a cliff?

BTW, as some of you might suspect, a number of us have ridden together in the past. That in no way excludes any of of you who are contemplating going to TP next fall who have not ridden with us before. We would like to see a good turn-out from GC, regardless if you've been to a riding event listed on here or not. I promise, there will be no initiation of you having to wear a wig, makeup or dress. :grin2:

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
RedRocket;926322....... BTW said:
We would like to see a good turn-out from GC, regardless if you've been to a riding event listed on here or not. I promise, there will be no initiation of you having to wear a wig, makeup or dress.[/B] :grin2:

Amen! We love riding and have great fun also!

1 - 20 of 378 Posts