Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently had a problem with the electrical system on my 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700. In the process of fixing this problem, I replaced: starter, battery, regulator, and stator. Pretty much everything went well, and I have everything back together. My only problem is that I am now having a pretty constant drip from the "drain off hose" that comes from the bottom of the stator/rotor cover. I can see that it is coming from there and nowhere else. I put the gasket on really carefully and used sealer, so I am pretty sure it isn't the gasket leaking internally. Does anyone have any ideas about what to check next?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jack

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
Unfortunately, the bad news is it is your water pump oil seal. Water pump is part of the engine case you removed and there must have been enough movement there to cause the seal to go bad. It is next to the Mechanical Seal, parts #14 and #15. You should probably consider ordering both as the Mechanical seal can be problematic and must be pressed in. I've ruined a couple of them by not using an actual press. Removing the Mechanical seal and not ruining it, good luck. What I don't recall is if the Mechanical seal must come out to reach the oil seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... that is possible, but I don't see any water in the oil that is leaking. I did remove the water pump when I changed the stator and couldn't find a replacement gasket so I used the old one. It came off in one piece when I removed the water pump. Like the other gasket, I used sealer on both sides, and I can't see any external leak. What makes you say that it is the water pump? Am I talking about the right thing or is this something different?

Thanks again.

Jack

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
If the water pump oil seal is bad, oil will drip out that drain hose. If the Mechanical seal goes bad, you'll lose coolant out that drain hose. Since you had your hands in there, that is the most likely suspect, the oil seal having gone bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you saying the seal that is on the outer cover that the impeller goes through, or the inner one that the connects to the impeller? I think I know the answer, but gotta ask. If it is the inner one, how difficult is it to replace that seal?

Thanks again,

Jack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crud... Just ordered the parts. Guess I have to tear it apart again.

·
Grizzled
3,559 Posts
Oh, sorry about the delayed reply. Part #14 on an OEM parts vendor breakout schematic. It has been a while since I replaced that oil seal and mechanical seal and I don't quite remember if the oil seal is easy to get to or difficult by having to remove the mechanical seal first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts