Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 kodiak 450SE
285 Posts
.. if you’re walking the canned hams then she’s not drag built, she’s rocket built haha. Makes me wonder how it would stack up to the sport bikes, like a raptor or a built banshee or sum’n...
A lot of it has to do with the rider. From what I gather.. Jim cam ride like hell.

Even i was keeping up with rzr 900s and a kid on a 250 dirtbike at a local terrain parks "track" over the weekend.. on my little 450 with giant heavy tires lol. I really regret not having the gopro on for those laps 😑

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
:)
The Grizzly is a great platform to work with, and it does have a sweet spot which is a long shot better from the stock set-up for most trail conditions.
The deal about out running a 1000 canned ham on the trail is weight and torque. The 1000 is a pig that wallows in its sidewalls and slides with too little tire patch v weight. It does have a lot of h.p. and torque, so all I have to do is slide in behind one at the hit of the throttle then watch how the 1000 rider handle a couple of turns. With my 3.54:1 pulley ratio (which is 42% better than stock), and weights 15% heavier for faster acceleration/forward bite in combination with the magnified torque from the ratio, and a cut cam plate that doesn't remove shim equivalents below 20 m.p.h. I can follow the fat pig into a corner, turn under him and hit the gas and slide on by with the lighter machine.
As for the sport bikes this thing will haul butt through big rock the shorter bike might not get through, so the Griz might not keep up on the flat land but that isn't the game around here. Try taking a Raptor or Banshee through this stuff at speed;
The first 3 minutes or so was getting off the ledge, the rest is in sand and rocks.
The best way to minimize stress to the wet-clutch is to raise the ratio, which magnifies torque. The less the engine has to produce to putt around, then less torque the wet-clutch has to transfer to the primary shaft. You can, and all others should do these mods and if the bike goes to fast, tone the set-up down with different weights or a cut cam-plate later. I average 10 m.p.h. for the clock v speedo, but there are times I want this thing to go, or be able to keep the tires spinning above the ground speed, like in snow.
For those that don't know, the axles will live or die by your thumb. Just because you can twist harder on the drive-line doesn't mean you have to.
Also, these mods do not lower the Grizzly reliability......in no way, no how. The week Hammer was here we did 972 miles with only gas and go, and both machines had modified c.v.t. systems. We didn't change a thing at night between day rides, we rode deep water, deep snow, ran fast across big rock ledges and on the long day got some of everything.
Another benefit of a very high ratio is the instantaneous snap reaction from the engine to the tire patch. In this video riding high run-off season I used two cameras, showed both locations back and forth as I played in Cow Creek. You see going slow and hear the instant throttle response to spin the rear tires and climb out of the creek easily, and just after 5:45 see the Griz get pushed from the side and how the instant snap got us out. Notice the cliff just down stream, if the Griz hadn't of hoped out, we would have been floating around the next corner.
You see anyone else at the creek? Being out alone, this thing has to run right. I don't think she can swim very well.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, 2mm shim, 2” highlifter, 29.5 OL2 skinny wides, 12 pack of bud light
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A lot of it has to do with the rider. From what I gather.. Jim cam ride like hell.

Even i was keeping up with rzr 900s and a kid on a 250 dirtbike at a local terrain parks "track" over the weekend.. on my little 450 with giant heavy tires lol. I really regret not having the gopro on for those laps 😑
True that! For a lifted 450 on 28x9’s she ain’t no slouch 😏🤟🏼
I would maybe go for more top end on mine, but I mainly ride with my stepdad, and sometimes a few of our mutual friends as well. Aaaaaand even now, I ride waaay faster than all of them still lmao

21 - 23 of 23 Posts