Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't anybody on here ride old grizzlies? I got a good buy on a 1998 600, In the process of putting a winch and snow plow on it. I'm mainly using it for work on my property (10 acres) .But even tho I'm 61, I still plan on doing a little bit of playing. I only paid $850.00 for it, so I can make plenty of improvements to it.Next on the list is a new set of tires. The ones on it are pretty good but are starting to weather.
Searching thru the forums I don't see much chatter about the old ones.

·
Premium Member
9,276 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Nothing wrong with older, but most bikes are used hard and don't survive to be teenagers like yours.
Around here the less expensive machines are bought by ranchers for employees to get around on, run until they quit then pushed in the pit and covered with the rest of the trash.
There are couple old members, very very very old members, that might be able to recall these old machines to help you with mods.
Better start ask questions before its too late.

·
Registered
143 Posts
HI I have a 2001 grizzly 600, I rebuilt the motor etc, been working on motorcycles and atvs my whole life. On your grizzly make sure you keep the oil clean ,change oil filters when needed, put on a uni air filter, run a little sea foam in the gas tank once in a while,check the wheel lug nuts torque,keep the wire harness off the muffler guard ,it runs along the upper frame,keep the radiator screen and radiator clean, they are notorious for overheating, the fan comes on when the oil reaches about 210 to 230 degrees Fahrenheit, If you ever replace the drive belt ONLY use OEM yamaha belt. I will send you a service manual for your grizzly 600, it has everything in it, The 600 was the biggest cc atv at the time in 1998, it is so powerful can pull or tow 1150 lbs, and it can go 60 mph.You can put a fan over ride switch on it so you can manually turn the fan on. If you do overheat and the red light comes on,make sure you leave the key in the on position after you stop the motor, the fan only works with key on. put a clear inline fuel filter going to the carb,your local autozone or others will have them in the lawnmower section, it is very small about 1" diameter and about 2" long,make sure your gas cap is venting properly, believe this or not but your grizzly will heat up the gas in the tank and it need to breath and release the pressure.they are known for squeaky brakes, on the pins and slides use anti seize, on the back of the front pads use a brake grease, I only use EBC brakes, they make a slotted brake shoes for the rear brakes that work so much better than NON grooved.grooved. Kenda bear claw 299 tires are good and so are quad-boss 671 are good tires both are 6 ply rating and the most reasonable price, get them on ebay about $269.00 for all 4 tires, I also put a leak sealer in each tire, quad-boss makes a great sealer,if you read some of my posts you will see everything I have done, on youtube there are two different guys that rebuilt there motors, great videos.

·
Registered
143 Posts
HI I have a 2001 grizzly 600, I rebuilt the motor etc, been working on motorcycles and atvs my whole life. On your grizzly make sure you keep the oil clean ,change oil filters when needed, put on a uni air filter, run a little sea foam in the gas tank once in a while,check the wheel lug nuts torque,keep the wire harness off the muffler guard ,it runs along the upper frame,keep the radiator screen and radiator clean, they are notorious for overheating, the fan comes on when the oil reaches about 210 to 230 degrees Fahrenheit, If you ever replace the drive belt ONLY use OEM yamaha belt. I will send you a service manual for your grizzly 600, it has everything in it, The 600 was the biggest cc atv at the time in 1998, it is so powerful can pull or tow 1150 lbs, and it can go 60 mph.You can put a fan over ride switch on it so you can manually turn the fan on. If you do overheat and the red light comes on,make sure you leave the key in the on position after you stop the motor, the fan only works with key on. put a clear inline fuel filter going to the carb,your local autozone or others will have them in the lawnmower section, it is very small about 1" diameter and about 2" long,make sure your gas cap is venting properly, believe this or not but your grizzly will heat up the gas in the tank and it need to breath and release the pressure.they are known for squeaky brakes, on the pins and slides use anti seize, on the back of the front pads use a brake grease, I only use EBC brakes, they make a slotted brake shoes for the rear brakes that work so much better than NON grooved.grooved. Kenda bear claw 299 tires are good and so are quad-boss 671 are good tires both are 6 ply rating and the most reasonable price, get them on ebay about $269.00 for all 4 tires, I also put a leak sealer in each tire, quad-boss makes a great sealer,if you read some of my posts you will see everything I have done, on youtube there are two different guys that rebuilt there motors, great videos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts