Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that I am beginning to have a little wobble/play in my handlebars and after I checked the pitman, tie rods, a-arms, and all bolts, I determined that the steering bearing is the culprit. I ordered the bearings from Partshark for ~8.00. When I received the parts, I was thinking no way this is going to solve my problem and went searching for an aftermarket steering bearing. That led me to the OMI Steering bearing mount from Port City Racing in MI. I liked the fact that the bearing has a grease fitting and there were many positive reviews and installation tips.
I tore into the Grizzly today and realized, this doesn't match up to AZ or Grizz08's experiences. The 2013 battery/front compartment does not allow straight access to the bearing bolts. I tin snipped my way to access and customized my battery box, ha. I was able to remove the bearing, brackets, and cleaned the steering stem real good. I was looking at the OMI along with the parts to be "reused for the install" and noticed, This is WAY off. Measured twice and made a phone call to Port City Racing and sure enough, the "later models" changed their bearings and what they sent me will not work for a 2013 or later Grizzly. Friendly service and I'll send it back for a refund, however the person also stated that their website was updated which is not true...I checked it again before making this post. Thankfully I had the OEM bearings that in no way will solve my problem so I greased them up and installed them. Currently my problem is solved with the OEM, non-greasable bearings.
Long post to get here, however, the OMI Steering Bearing WILL NOT fit a 2013 Grizzly 700 or newer and currently, Port City Racing does not offer a greasable bearing for 2013 or newer.
Went back and checked the parts diagram and the change was made in 2013 to the bearing with bracket, compared to 2012 and earlier. If you have a 2007-2012, I'll still recommend you look up Omi products if you need a steering bearing/bushing. It definitely looks/feels like a quality parts, just didn't work for me.
Hopefully this posts will help someone and get me through the next 3,200 miles:peace:

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
Good info Hammerhead. Bummer that it didn't work for your quad. Thanks for passing this along.

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Just your luck... Good that u ordered the Oem. its almost like somehow, One way or another you were gunna get screwed and you knew it and prepared yourself

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I ordered Chopped Steak and got served a hamburger, ha. I did get lucky on that one since the Grizz will be hammering trails for 4 days in the very near future. I can't complain that the steering bearing and brake pads are the only two things I've replaced in 3,200 miles. Oh yeah, and another Yamaha Sticker for the front that I'll probably lose next week also.
The Omi bearing would be the cat's meow if it worked and hopefully they or someone comes out with a greasable bushing for 2013 and newer. I saw DrMud's steering bearing go out on our ride and it went from a wobble to a sway forward/back and side to side. I think he brought it worn out just to be able to run over my butt in his Razr, ha.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey Hammer. I know this is an old Thread. Was hoping you could shed some light on the actual differences between the bushes. I've fitted them to my other Grizzlys and the OMI does look bigger and different. Was just wondering if the OMI bushing can be modified to fit?? Cheers Mark

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers AG,
Not going to happen with what you get in the mail. The mounting holes are spaced further apart on the pre-2013 grizzly than you have material to drill to modify. I really like the OMI, however the stocker replacements are still holding up after another 900 miles, so for now until OMI makes an update for 2013+ Grizzlies then I'll keep replacing with stock. Not sure what 2016 bearings are so no info there.
No need to try to modify for your Grizzly, it won't happen with the raw material you begin the task with, no board stretchers or sky hooks would make it fit.
Cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
No worries. Thanks for the feedback. Cheers Mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts