Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a year ago I lost my right leg to infection. I have been equipped with the latest Above Knee Prosthetic and it's been a rough year for this 74 year old to adapt.....still on crutches. But I need hope for better days and one of those hopes is to ride my 660 on the hundreds of trails in Utah again. With the right leg gone I lost the foot brake but hopefully hand brakes are enough.
My question is what have others found found in my situation? This COVET induced cabin fever is getting to me and after spending a life time climbing all over diesel locomotives and repairing them, my broken body is making my spirits low.
Please share your thoughts and I wish everyone of you a chance to experience the thousands of trails here in Utah before the feds and tree huggers shut them down. LOL.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
The foot brake is still there :)
Use the hand lever and haul ass :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
A little over a year ago I lost my right leg to infection. I have been equipped with the latest Above Knee Prosthetic and it's been a rough year for this 74 year old to adapt.....still on crutches. But I need hope for better days and one of those hopes is to ride my 660 on the hundreds of trails in Utah again. With the right leg gone I lost the foot brake but hopefully hand brakes are enough.
FWIW, I never use the foot brake EVER, just the hand brakes. They'll lock up the tires good enough. :ROFLMAO: If you're still able to get a good, secure seat on the machine, I'd say get out there and go! If you need riding partners, there are Utahns on the board, you could probably arrange a meet-up.

·
Premium Member
11,695 Posts
Oh, and you can un-hook the shift-lock so no brake input is needed to shift.

Reactions: wgc

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Better days ahead bud, I would not waste 1 more minute and just get out and figure out the best way to ride the trails again on your Griz, there's nothing like a ride out on the trails to clear your head and bring some peace to your soul, you can talk to me anytime, may god bless you

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Yes the left handbrake does the same thing as the foot brake so just ride on brother!

·
Registered
403 Posts
My question is what have others found found in my situation? This COVET induced cabin fever is getting to me and after spending a life time climbing all over diesel locomotives and repairing them, my broken body is making my spirits low.
Please share your thoughts and I wish everyone of you a chance to experience the thousands of trails here in Utah before the feds and tree huggers shut them down. LOL.
Well, my friend, a little over 8 years ago, a hit & run driver in a '92 Buick doing 70 MPH ripped my left leg off while I was (essentially) a pedestrian on the side of the freeway. Had to make a tourniquet out of the $8 Sterns rain jacket I had over my motorcycle leathers to save my own life (nobody helped me until right before EMS showed up).

Long story short, that was the end of my storied, 2-wheeled riding career, but it opened the door to the 4-wheeled version, and with it my Grizzly 700 EPS.

Mine was my left leg, so I still have the foot brake on the right. However, as has been pointed out, the left handbrake lever operates the rear brakes, so ... you're good to go there.

I've got the same full complement of robotics, hydraulics, electronics, aluminum, titanium and steel filling my left pant leg (above knee amputee). All I can tell you is: I can (and do) still do 95% of the things I used to do, but some things take just a little longer or more effort. Obviously, my NHL career prospects are over and you won't find me running the 100 yard dash in the next Olympics, but I don't let my injury or situation define me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
43 Posts
I have a similar (somewhat) issue, that pushed me into buying an almost new Kodiak. I've pretty much lost function in my feet due to peripheral neuropathy. I rode bikes all my life so I thought I would try a motorized bike. That failed miserably as I have no balance. So I bought the Kodiak and it's been great. I ride it along with my wife when she walks and I'm setting up to take it out to ATV parks and such. I bought a trailer and have a hitch for my FJ to pull us around. Hotrodding the Kodiak with exhaust, fuel computer, etc.. is great therapy for me. I love it.. I worked on hot rods all my life so it feels good. I have heat, cooling, cable TV, and Internet in my garage. It's helped my attitude tremendously. I say "Go for it".. Cheers.. Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts