Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am at my wit's end with my grizzly 700 Yamaha 2008. It all started when we ran the gas tank dry. What happened afterwards is that my 15 amp breaker on the main relay kept on blowing after running for about 10-15 seconds. After reading of a couple of examples on this form, I opted to do a fuel pump rebuild. This took care of the 15 amp breaker blowing and the breaker stopped blowing.
However, at this point I cannot get the quad to run. To date I have changed out the fuel, cleaned out the fuel injector, run the quad with starting fluid to check the spark plug, and have checked a lot of the electrical connections.
I would appreciate any insight that anybody can offer. My next move is to replace the fuel injector with a new part, as well as replace the spark plug.
I am not sure if it is worth buying the new spark plugs seeing as it already runs off of starting fluid, but I don't know if it's only because it requires less activation energy for that to fire. I would find it strange that my quad ran after it ran out of fuel, it would run for 10 to 15 seconds before blowing the 15 amp breaker. Now it won't even start.
Let me know your thoughts, I'd like to figure out what's happening. Even if it means doing things over again, I don't mind, I just don't want to miss anything.
Thank you for your time and wisdom.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
change the plug first. that is the easiest. Considering your year I would also check your valves

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll order a new plug and try that out. I'll have to go to YouTube to learn how to check the valves, but once I figure that out I will do that. I'm guessing I will need to order a feeler tool to do that properly. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
61 Posts
Yup, the hardest part is going through the pain of having to put your hotdog sized fingers in a pencil sharpener to make them small enough to get in there. a 1/4 inch wobble between the extension and socket to remove the boot clamp on the air intake is also handy. If you're going to get feeler gauges, get the ones with the "L" shaped bend, makes it a lot easier. And, if you can get the ATV off the ground on jack stands, it's a lot easier on the back.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am at my wit's end with my grizzly 700 Yamaha 2008. It all started when we ran the gas tank dry. What happened afterwards is that my 15 amp breaker on the main relay kept on blowing after running for about 10-15 seconds. After reading of a couple of examples on this form, I opted to do a fuel pump rebuild. This took care of the 15 amp breaker blowing and the breaker stopped blowing.
However, at this point I cannot get the quad to run. To date I have changed out the fuel, cleaned out the fuel injector, run the quad with starting fluid to check the spark plug, and have checked a lot of the electrical connections.
I would appreciate any insight that anybody can offer. My next move is to replace the fuel injector with a new part, as well as replace the spark plug.
I am not sure if it is worth buying the new spark plugs seeing as it already runs off of starting fluid, but I don't know if it's only because it requires less activation energy for that to fire. I would find it strange that my quad ran after it ran out of fuel, it would run for 10 to 15 seconds before blowing the 15 amp breaker. Now it won't even start.
Let me know your thoughts, I'd like to figure out what's happening. Even if it means doing things over again, I don't mind, I just don't want to miss anything.
Thank you for your time and wisdom.
So have you verified that your rebuilt pump is actually working ? If it is pull the injector out of the head and put it in a clear bottle and crank the machine to see if your getting a good fuel patten from the injector .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have removed the fuel injector, and tested it outside of the quad. It does send out some fuel, however the mist isn't quite right. It looks to me as though the fuel is not pumping at a high enough pressure. That being the case, I removed the fuel pump, and look for any place where the fluid might be bypassing a seal. Upon looking through the pump, I found a place I think it's the gas pressure restrictor, and it does not have an o-ring. I looked at pictures of this online, and found that they had in fact had an o-ring on it. Seeing as how it appears I am missing an o-ring, I will replace it this evening and let everyone know if that works or if it was in fact not belonging there in the first place.
I do believe that the problem is either with the fuel injector, or the fuel pump. A friend of mine has a gas pressure tester, and if this new course of action does not work, we will try and see what the pressure is. If I find that the fuel pump pressure is correct, then I will buy or try once again to clean the fuel injector. Am I correct to believe that the required fuel pressure for a grizzly 700 2008, is 46.1 psi? Let me know. And thank you all for your help up to now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts