Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I have a plan to purchase the family atvs...need to buy 3....$OUCH$. I'm getting myself a Grizzly 700 and probably a Polaris Sportsman 90 for the little guy. I'm considering a 2014 Bruin 350 for the wife...it's enough machine for her(I think) and the amount of times she will ride, I can't justify a more expensive machine. But, I know little about the Bruins. Is the fact that it has no low range a big issue? Is the 350 engine enough fun for someone under 140lbs? Any advice or recommendations for other machines if a Bruin will not be a good choice for my wife? Thanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ya I was looking at those Bruins at the dealer aswell.They seem like a good size for petite women.I personally think that machine will pretty much go anywhere your grizz will excluding heavy mud and huge hills.l never put mine in low range.lts to bad they made the kodiak pretty much as big as the grizzly have you considered finding her a 450 grizz or kodiak like 2011-2014 with eps?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Bruin/Grizzly 350 4X4 is a capable machine. My 18 year old son has been riding one for a couple of years now. It is already geared with a low to mid range, and has not been a problem for us. When I ride it I find it to be a fun and very nimble machine. The only complaint that I have is that the rear drum brake is weak at best. The front disc brakes are awesome and with the engine braking the rear brake isn't a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I was looking at those Bruins at the dealer aswell.They seem like a good size for petite women.I personally think that machine will pretty much go anywhere your grizz will excluding heavy mud and huge hills.l never put mine in low range.lts to bad they made the kodiak pretty much as big as the grizzly have you considered finding her a 450 grizz or kodiak like 2011-2014 with eps?
Yes, it's too bad the new Kodiak is basically the same size as a Grizzly...but even if it wasn't, I can't justify the cost of a new Kodiak for my wife who will not ride all that many times in year. I am searching for lightly used and well cared for Kodiaks, but none currently available in my area. It would be convenient though to pick up all 3 units I need, brand new at the same place, same time. The dealer I'm talking to, has all 3...Grizzly 700 for me:rocker:, Sportsman 90 for my son, and the Bruin for the wife...just want to be sure on the Bruin before I pull the trigger. I googled reviews for the Bruin, but most reviews are for older models...but most reviews were positive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yamaha started building the Bruin 350 in 2004, In 2007 they added independent rear suspension and front locking differential on some models while still building the straight axle model.
They also deleted the pull start on newer models. I think 2014 is the last year that Yamaha built the 350 Grizzly/Bruin. The older reviews you are reading also apply to the newer built machines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a '04 bruin and it has never let me down. I weigh 220 and it's geared low enough to pull the steepest hills and will run fast as the rest thru the trails.

2 things: little tippy from factory: add aftermarket wheels gain width. Also, don't try to add heavy tires as it will bog down the machine. I put aftermarket wheels and super grip super lite tires (similar to mudlite but stronger w rim protector) and have been very satisfied. I am looking to upgrade to a '16 700 grizz. If you live near Indiana, I'll make you a hell of a deal( lot to of aftermarket upgrades to On the bike)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own a '04 bruin and it has never let me down. I weigh 220 and it's geared low enough to pull the steepest hills and will run fast as the rest thru the trails.

2 things: little tippy from factory: add aftermarket wheels gain width. Also, don't try to add heavy tires as it will bog down the machine. I put aftermarket wheels and super grip super lite tires (similar to mudlite but stronger w rim protector) and have been very satisfied. I am looking to upgrade to a '16 700 grizz. If you live near Indiana, I'll make you a hell of a deal( lot to of aftermarket upgrades to On the bike)
Lol...Ya I live in Alberta, Canada. But thanks for sharing your experience with the Bruin. I'm thinking it should be a fine machine for my wife by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife likes the Bruin better than the Sportsman, due to the size and smoother clutch.

The low range isn't much of an issue unless you are in some gnarly stuff like steep climbs and big rocks. I added the shims between the primary sheave plates to get a little more low end, at the cost of a couple mph on the top. Made it much better for putting around in the woods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts