Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm planning on buying a 1995 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4X4 over the weekend. It appears to have been taken care of. However, the current owner confirmed that in the 10 years that he's owned it, he's never changed out the u joints. He claims that it starts right up and runs pretty good. Is there a chance that the yokes aren't going to have to be replaced due to the old u joints? It's located in a different city, so I won't get to see it or test drive it until I drive 200 miles there. A few buddies of mine have told me not to buy it because it's too old, but it looks good and I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I'm thinking I'll be ok if something goes wrong with it. Anyone here own a 95 Kodiak 400? Are my friends right, should I stay away from a 20 year old four wheeler?

JF

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Those old Kodiak's are awesome bikes and rock solid reliable. If the U-joints are not broken, then the yokes will be fine. For peice of mind I would replace the U-joints when you get it just to be sure you do not run into problems.

Do not expect the brakes to work. They had drum brakes back then that required lots of maintenance and constant adjustment.

About the only thing they are now getting known for (due to their age now) is stripping rear axle splines. But without pulling rear axle to inspect it, you will not know the condition of them. If you buy it, pull the rear axle and inspect them. If all good, drill the rear axle tube housing and install a grease zerk. Then pump the housing full of grease. This will prevent the splines from corroding and failing. If the splines are showing wear, have a machine shop repair them for you. Far cheaper than replacing a axle.

These bikes are still good bikes, even compared to today's machines. They have a rough ride, but are still very capable and very reliable when properly maintained. They just do not build them like this anymore.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The old Yamaha's are rock solid if cared for. One of the guys we ride with is still riding a 95 or 96 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4 and it goes anywhere and does anything the rest of us do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 95 kodiak 400 4x4 and I love the thing. I actually traded my 05 arctic cat 400 for it and it was worth the trade. Dezz was right about the brakes.lol. mine don't work.😕 But I haven't had any issues since I've had it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I say go for it if the price is good, these guys are right that they just don't build them that well anymore and i hate belt drives, they just feel strange to me. Also i agree with the drum brake issue, my 99 Kodiak 400 drum brake sucks.... lucky it has front disk that works great. there was another guy in these forums that was trying to convert his front drum to disk you might ask him about it. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the replies. I drove across town to pickup my father in laws trailer on Saturday so that I could wake up early on Sunday and drive out to San Antonio to pick it up. Well, the guy called me late Saturday night to tell me that he had just sold it. I had been on the phone with him all week and told him that I had cash in hand and was going to drive up there to buy it. I was bummed when he told me it was gone. Luckily I hadn't told my little girl about it, she would have been let down. I think my father in law felt bad for me because he said that I could have his for 400 dollars if I wanted it, or for free if I didn't feel it was worth the price. Haha. I really want a 4x4, this one is a 2x4. It's a 2000 Honda Recon 250. It runs, but needs some attention. I haven't decided if I want to give him the $400 for it. I would probably still have to put in another $200 into it to get it looking and running good. At $600, I think that might be all that thing is worth, I might lose money on it.

JF

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts