Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Grizzly SE. Stock front tires are 26x8x12, and rear are 26x10x12. New Original Bighorns are 26x9x12 front and 26x12x12 for the rear.
I want to keep my stock Yamaha aluminum wheels. Will the bighorns fit on my rear wheels with that extra two inches? Also, have many of you upgrade while still
under factory warranty? I talked with Yamaha yesterday, and they said upgrading tires won't void the warranty, but if I have a suspension, or other tire
related issue, they may say, "not stock tires sorry".

Thanks for any help, Larry

·
Registered
369 Posts
I put stock size Bighorn O.G.s on my wifes 450 S.E. other than more traction, and better handling I could see no change otherwise.
I have an 05 660 S.E. that I have been running GBC Dirt Devils, I will be up grading to Bighorn O.G.s in 26 inch dia. This may mean some clutch work but I will deal with it at that time.
Good Luck

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
They will fit.

Tires are the first upgrade a lot of people make.

As to the warranty, if you went up to 28" tires and then started busting axles, you might run into trouble.
But just going with a wider tire of the same diameter is not a big deal at all.
I would be very surprised if there were any warranty issues. In fact, if I did that and they tried to deny the warranty based on it, I would go all tasmanian devil on them. That is more of a Polaris trick than anything Yamaha would do.

Reactions: MontnaGriz

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

26" OG bighorns fit just fine.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I have a 2017 Grizzly SE. Stock front tires are 26x8x12, and rear are 26x10x12. New Original Bighorns are 26x9x12 front and 26x12x12 for the rear.
I want to keep my stock Yamaha aluminum wheels. Will the bighorns fit on my rear wheels with that extra two inches? Also, have many of you upgrade while still
under factory warranty? I talked with Yamaha yesterday, and they said upgrading tires won't void the warranty, but if I have a suspension, or other tire
related issue, they may say, "not stock tires sorry".

Thanks for any help, Larry
As mentioned the 26x9R12 and 269x12R-12 will work on your stock wheels. We carry Maxxis Bighorns now as well.

Maxxis Bighorn | Discount Tire Direct

We don't show the 26x12R-12 on our site but would be happy to send you a quote if you like. Just send us a PM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cut a big hole in the side of the rear stockers 26x10 on my 2016. Just put Bighorn OG on. They are awesome. Thought they might sling mud being wider, but no. You will be :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
The fit will be no problem and good choice of tire for trail riding.

·
Premium Member
10,638 Posts
Measure the true roll-out of both tires to know if there is a true difference in diameter.

·
Registered
73 Posts

26" OG bighorns fit just fine.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

Madkawi

Are those the 12" on the back? How much wider is it now than the originals? With the wider body on the new Grizzly's I have issues getting two parked side by side in my toyhauler. Thinking of going 9" on all 4 corners. 9" OGs are about the same width as the original 10"s

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do not have pictures but I load one in backwards and the other forward in my Fuzion. It is tight, but it works. Then again I have 25x8 / 25x10 on the kymco and the 26x9 / 26x12 on the griz. I measured the original yamy rears at 9.25 in. the Bighorns are 11.25

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do not have pictures but I load one in backwards and the other forward in my Fuzion. It is tight, but it works. Then again I have 25x8 / 25x10 on the kymco and the 26x9 / 26x12 on the griz. I measured the original yamy rears at 9.25 in. the Bighorns are 11.25

Yep that's the way I load mine too, but the happi-jack bed lifts get in the way. Two pre '16 Grizzlies would fit without problem but the wider bodies on the new ones is an issue. :frown2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
All the pro bighorn talk on here primarily is for the size you're thinking of. Same size I've got on stock LE rims on a 2016.

You can mount them with the white letters showing, or black side out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 27s on my 16 with no issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You should know that ehe 26" Bighorns Are nearly an inch taller than the 26" stockers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Question on that one, should one want to do a clutch upgrade for going from stock 26 inchers to Bighorn 26 inchers?

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Question on that one, should one want to do a clutch upgrade for going from stock 26 inchers to Bighorn 26 inchers?
Mods are not necessary for 26" Bighorns. However you may find you want to make up for the loss of low end grunt. Shims are cheap and will accomplish this but will take a few MPH off your top speed. If that's an issue, you can look into a machined sheave. I'm running 26" Bighorns with just 1.7mm shin and a purple spring and I can wheelie it when I want in low and with a little effort in high. Before the shims, I wouldn't have been able to get the front wheels off the ground in high.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the shim advice. Newbee here, so if I am correct, that shim is basically a precision machined washer and spring that go on the I believe primary clutch shaft? Or is it the secondary, I know it is the one with the cage that keeps it on. Anyway, looks better than having to install new clutch weights.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
The shim(s) go on the Primary Sheave shaft and the spring being talked about is replacing the spring on the Secondary Sheave. There is some more info in the Grizzly Talk section FAQ that can help you understand more about it. Look under the Grizzly 700/550 CVT & Clutch section.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts