Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time to consider some new sneaks for my 07 700 grizz! just wanted some other peoples input on the new outlaw 2 or 30" silverbacks. I ride mostly soupy swamps/mud holes. Not usually too thick. Also ideas on clutching as mine is stock.
GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just mounted a set of Outlaw2s for a buddy's Brute Force and they look bad a$$. We have not tried them out yet, but next weekend will be the true test. I'm running the Outlaw 29.5s with a white spring, 16gr weight, and Coop45 Mod#3 with a 1mm shim.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Silverbacks, but go wide, the skinnies wont float like 12" wides do.(front and back) Thats what I put on mine and we run muskeg all day. They work awsome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
776 big bore (trinity)
Gorilla axles
New front diff
Snorkled
Clutched
Hmf optimizer
Hmf pipe
Alum skid plates
28" silverbacks

D

·
0 Posts
Outlaw 2s without a doubt! No contest. If you can afford them. If not then i would go with regular 29.5 laws or 30 backs, you can find them used pretty easily. Only thing about the 2s is they are heavy. You will definitely want to get your clutch machined plus a 1mm shim. You can always try just shimming it 1.5mm first with a white spring and see if that works for you. Stall springs help off idle big time too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If cost means any thing gorilla has good prices on the silver backs now I just got a set of 28s 10 front. 12 back for 634 with free shipping the 30 10 12 were 648

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I I had some. I see a lot of em too. From what I've seen they don't pull forward they dig too much. That's just me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 30x11x14 all they way around and my wheels are rears all the way around don't know much bout the outlaw2 but u had set of 31x11x14 on my 07 griZz and didn't like I love my backs they pull hard I have extreme epi clutch and 1.5 shims

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Have you ever run backs?? Come to mud nationals and i will make a believer out of ya.
:icon_ laughup:Come up North and ride with us and you'll change your mind about the Backs. :peace: All depends what you ride in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Um, I am up north!!! Love the silverbacks!! There are alot of great tires out there. I just got to get a set of black mombas!! Havnt seen them go yet but hey, whats another set of tires!!! (I have 8 sets now!!)

776 big bore (trinity)
Gorilla axles
New front diff
Snorkled
Clutched
Hmf optimizer
Hmf pipe
Alum skid plates
28" silverbacks

D

·
0 Posts
I dont understand how everyone has such different opinions on tires. Definitely understandable with people who live in different areas. Laws may perform much better in skeg than back... no way for me to know. All i know is i have had both. And the performance seems equal in clay and normal mud. And the laws seem to climb out of holes better for me. Guess it depends on riding style too.

Just funny how even people who ride the same areas have very different opinions. Some say backs suck they just dig, others say backs pull harder than laws. In my experience they seem pretty equal, not enough difference to matter anyway. I ride with a 660 who has a 2 inch lift and 29.5 skinny wide laws. Our bikes are set up very similarly and if i get stuck he gets stuck, if i make it he makes it, and vice versa.

Heck, i think the only reason people say laws paddle better in bottomless stuff is because most discussion is 29.5 laws on 12 inch wheels vs 30 inch backs on 14 inch wheels. Of course the laws will outperform the backs in bottomless stuff because they provide more flotation. Granted, the backs treads cross the center line of the tire, where as the laws dont. Consequently the laws have a flatter profile. So it makes since that the backs would dig a little more and climb better because they bite harder due to the end of the lugs at the center of the tire not being flat in relationship to the rest of the tire. However, i have not noticed much difference either way even with that in mind. The only thing i have noticed is the backs tend to climb better out of slick ruts under certain conditions.

After making a few rides with my buddy who has 29.5 laws i am convinced that in clay and normal mud we have in this region, that there is not much difference. If its bad enough both will get stuck, otherwise both will make it. Sure, the tires have slightly different personalities, and you may prefer one over the other. One or the other may suite your riding style better, however, I dont see how anyone can say either tire really out performs the other overall. They are both awesome tires.

I think 14" vs 12" makes a bigger difference due to the flotation qualities than the actual tire design and lugs do when it comes to silverbacks vs laws. I bet if they made 12" silverbacks first and didnt release the 14" version until much later down the road then all of the commonly accepted "truths" about outlaws vs backs (such as laws paddle better and outperform laws in "bottomless" mud) would be a completely different story. Most of the reviews seem to be 12" 29.5 laws vs 14" 30 inch backs because they were undeniable top two tires for a long time and they didnt make 12" backs or 14" laws. So i believe that is the reason behind the standard thought on laws vs backs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I
Um, I am up north!!! Love the silverbacks!! There are alot of great tires out there. I just got to get a set of black mombas!! Havnt seen them go yet but hey, whats another set of tires!!! (I have 8 sets now!!)

776 big bore (trinity)
Gorilla axles
New front diff
Snorkled
Clutched
Hmf optimizer
Hmf pipe
Alum skid plates
28" silverbacks
just had a set of 30in black mombas and there Awsome but their super heavy axle getters but probally go just as good as outlaws or backs if you can turn them but I broke 3 gorilla axles in my heavily modified brute force

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I

just had a set of 30in black mombas and there Awsome but their super heavy axle getters but probally go just as good as outlaws or backs if you can turn them but I broke 3 gorilla axles in my heavily modified brute force
Welcome from Colorado.
This is an 8 year old thread.
Start us a new thread and let us know about you and your riding area and experiences.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts