Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, everyone says tires first so....

What is the thoughts out there on these two, I hear the 29s ride better, but 28s are lighter.

Little info, 2017 700EPS, I ride with a 500 Honda on 27 CAR's and a 500 Arctic Kitty on 27 inch interco vampires in south GA , spoken....swamps...so please give me your guys input, also on lift vs no lift and what clutch kit.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
44 Posts
30s will fit stock height.
you'll need clutching, i suggest 2mm shim and a spring at a minimum.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The 29.5's are a better overall tire. They do ride smoother than the 28's, and are bigger to give more ground clearance. And to top it off, they are barely any heavier than the 28's.
But saying that, because they are larger, you'll want more aggressive clutching to effectively turn them.
This is comparing the Outlaw 1's.

When comparing the Outlaw 2, the same can be said of them too. The 28 Outlaw 2 has larger lug spacing than the 29.5 Outlaw 2.
Outlaw 2's are extremely heavy per size, and require lots of very aggressive clutching ro effectively turn them without destroying your wet clutch clutch and belt.

I recommend the Outlaw 1's over the Outlaw 2's in most cases just due to the weight. The YouTube sensation Ostacruiser has also said this many times. He went back to Outlaw 1 after owning the Outlaw 2's for a short time. He says that lots of others in his riding group did the same. He says the bike felt like a completely different machine with the Outlaw 1's on. The Outlaw 2's weight just suck the power.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, seems reasonable, leaning towards the 29.5 outlaw original.

Is EPI the right people to touch base with on the right clutch set up?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Is EPI the right people to touch base with on the right clutch set up?

NO!!!!!!!!!! All that crappy kit does is stall your takeoff and prematurely wear your clutch out. I had an EPI kit on my 550, NEVER again. Go with a true clutch tuner with options like machined sheave, shim, weights, springs, and can build what you need for much less than an EPI kit.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
You can get the shims and spring from Ebay , it's the cheapest way to go that I found.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
White spring, 2.0 shim. Skip the stall springs.

And definitely the original 29.5. Skinny/wide. Keep your plain tires, somedays you just want to use those. All from experience.

YouTube site mrmudder16 go to the early ones.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, who makes white spring, who is the go to clutch guy here on the site? What's the best way to do the spacer , two 1 mm or the kit with like 4 springs to get to 2mm?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ok, who makes white spring, who is the go to clutch guy here on the site? What's the best way to do the spacer , two 1 mm or the kit with like 4 springs to get to 2mm?
@Ridgeway for sure. But I can answer your questions. EPI makes the white sping. Order it off eBay though, better prices. One detail everyone seems to have neglected is it seems you have a 700 and you can put 1.7mm in safely max. Buy a 2mm shim kit off eBay. Best thing to do would be get a machined sheave. Do not use stall springs! These are really hard on the wet clutch.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Also, @Ridgeway, man I can not stop laughing. True but coming from you makes it even more rich.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ok, machined sheeve , who sells those? Ridgeway?
No, Ridgeway knows how to make it work and sometimes helps members install parts. The best machined sheave comes from @Coop45 (Arnie). He was the first to make a machined sheave and has the best ratios. You can send him a sheave and get it machined for I believe $150 or he can buy a new sheave, machine it, and send it to you for about $300 or so. Ask around and you will find he is a favorite around here. I don't have his sheave but if I were to get one I would have him do it for sure. You can get a 3:1 ratio and loose no top speed.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Tell coop what tires you are putting on it and ride style, my sons Grizz just had a 1.5 shim and white spring. This is the cheap right, coop mod is a little more expensive but the promo route.

If you ever catch a Ridgway on a road trip invite him over for couple days, just hold the light while your clutch work happens. ...lol

He is a good story teller too. If he ever tells you about the time that we where sitting on the hotel lawn with permission, watching the sun set on the San Juan mountains, about three beers in, and the lawn sprinklers comes on.....and something about my short pants falling to my ankles while I rescued the cooler of beer and tried to run out of the sprinklers... don’t believe any of it,

still don’t know what the people up by the front door was bent over double laughing about....?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol, I will keep that in mind, I see you are in Illinois, from St Louis myself, now down in South Georgia making a living...retired Navy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts