Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fried my CDI box last weekend. I had just put a new regulator on. Hooked up the new one and found that the rectifier is overcharging. It’s 17-18volts at idle. I took the epoxy off the back of the rectifier and everything looks good. No burnt connections or anything. When I first put the rectifier on it charged 13-14 volts depending on rpms. Any way to fix this? I’m trying to ride this weekend lol

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Aftermarket or oem unit? Alot of the aftermarket stuff is hit or miss affair.

·
Premium Member
9,493 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Sounds like you have more than one problem, or replaced the wrong part first.
Over charging?
Add us a signature to let us know what your working on, a signature appears in every post so we can remember your ride as we help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry bout that. It’s a grizzly 660 2005 model. Yeah it’s a cheap aftermarket regulator. I expected to see a problem in that unit to cause it to over charge but the diodes and solder joints look ok. Does anybody know if these are one or 3 phase rectifiers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that’s for welcoming me. I hate my first post to be asking for help. I’m an auto mechanic by trade so I’m familiar with tools and test procedures, just new to ATVS. I like to take stuff apart, open things up and fix it rather than replace it possible

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Try reflowing the solder joints. From looking at the pictures only, it looks like some of those solder joints are bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts