Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago my grizzly overheated because it was low on coolant. As soon as the light came on I shot it off and towed it home. Put some coolant in it and rode it around for a couple miles. Now I have coolant in my oil and it's over full. Is there anything this could be other than a head gasket. If it's a head gasket how do I know? And what are some upgrades to keep this from happening again

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Most likely the seal in the water pump that separates the oil from the coolant has failed. Not a big deal. There is a weep hole with drain tube that allows the coolant to drain and notify you when the water pump seal fails but the tube gets clogged and coolant pressure builds up and forces coolant passed the seals. Drain the oil and coolant, buy a water pump rebuild kit, install and fill/drain the crankcase with oil a couple time as well as change oil filter and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does any company make an upgraded water pump or anything like that or could I have my fan as key on so if my key is on my fan is on to keep it cooler all the time?

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Was your radiator clogged with mud ?

A low coolant problem will not be solved by having the fan on all the time.

Replacing the water pump is not (IMO) a novice job. You must have good mechanical abilities. There are no high-performance water pumps.

Options are: Clean the radiator often, check your coolant level often, bigger radiator, radiator re-locate, water temperature gauge, and yes, fan on all the time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was your radiator clogged with mud ?

A low coolant problem will not be solved by having the fan on all the time.

Replacing the water pump is not (IMO) a novice job. You must have good mechanical abilities. There are no high-performance water pumps.

Options are: Clean the radiator often, check your coolant level often, bigger radiator, radiator re-locate, water temperature gauge, and yes, fan on all the time.
No. Cleaned not too long ago. Going to take it apart soon and diagnose exactly what happened. Might relocate rad so it is also easier to check coolant level

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
In most cases like yours, with coolant in the oil or vise-versa after an overheating, a blown head gasket is the culprit....not a failed water pump seal.

But, you can check the water pump seal. To check the water pump seal, simply remove the drain hose tube from the nipple on the bottom of it water pump. Using a toothpick, put it in the hole of nipple and see if it clogged with dirt/mud. If the hole is clean and nothing is leaking OR if nothing comes out after you clear the obstruction, then you know the water pump seals are fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In most cases like yours, with coolant in the oil or vise-versa after an overheating, a blown head gasket is the culprit....not a failed water pump seal.

But, you can check the water pump seal. To check the water pump seal, simply remove the drain hose tube from the nipple on the bottom of it water pump. Using a toothpick, put it in the hole of nipple and see if it clogged with dirt/mud. If the hole is clean and nothing is leaking OR if nothing comes out after you clear the obstruction, then you know the water pump seals are fine.
So I removed the hose and there was a steady drip of antifreeze. What would this indicated?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your water pump seals are toast and with the tube being blocked/clogged the coolant system pressure forced coolant past your oil seal and into the crank case. The oil seal in the water pump has been compromised and must be replaced along with water pump seal.
This is what I stated would be wrong with your symptoms posted earlier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I love this forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts