Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go to 3:20 in the video below (or even better watch the entire awesome thing) and you will see the parking brake thing I bought at Royal Distributing in Whitby Ontario. Works great and fits in the gas cap cover. Paid about $10 - 12 Cad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does that have a name? Looks like a nice quick trick.
Thx~Lisa

Reactions: jake72

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
724 Posts
Neat little gadget.

But why wouldn't you just put it in park and be done with it?

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Cool little device! :icon_ goofy:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neat little gadget.

But why wouldn't you just put it in park and be done with it?
For the same reasons that people who have Can Am's, Kawasaki's, Arctic Cat's, Honda's and Suzuki's use theirs I guess. Same reason people who put the parking brake on in their vehicles in addition to Park. Just nice to have when parked on a hill to help take some tension off the tranny.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
For the same reasons that people who have Can Am's, Kawasaki's, Arctic Cat's, Honda's and Suzuki's use theirs I guess. Same reason people who put the parking brake on in their vehicles in addition to Park. Just nice to have when parked on a hill to help take some tension off the tranny.
The difference being that those mentioned machines use a cable brake lock, not a hydraulic brake lock. keeping the hydraulic brakes pressurized for long periods can cause issues iirc. i wouldnt recommend using it when trailering.

for others wanting something similar to this gadget... a bolt or screwdriver will do the same thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pretty cool gadget. I use velcro cable straps from HF. First few uses I had them too tight and left them on for a few hrs trailering to and from riding. Brakes didn't feel like releasing. Now I leave them pretty loose for trailering. Doesn't really take much pressure to hold brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
... Just nice to have when parked on a hill to help take some tension off the tranny.
So when I'm pounding the hell out of the tranny jumping rocks, ripping through mud, hill climbing, isn't as hard on the tranny as parking?:devil:
It's cute!
But..
The parking pawl on the grizzly is way more expensive to manufacturer compared to that 10¢ little piece of plastic or metal that the "other" MFG's sell.
More than one honda popo or canam rider has rode a few miles with that contraption lightly locked down boiling the brake fluid and smokin the pads.

My unqualified 2.0162¢

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
So when I'm pounding the hell out of the tranny jumping rocks, ripping through mud, hill climbing, isn't as hard on the tranny as parking?:devil:
It's cute!
But..
The parking pawl on the grizzly is way more expensive to manufacturer compared to that 10¢ little piece of plastic or metal that the "other" MFG's sell.
More than one honda popo or canam rider has rode a few miles with that contraption lightly locked down boiling the brake fluid and smokin the pads.

My unqualified 2.0162¢
THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

people worry about the stationary weight of a machine on a devise that is SPECIFICALLY designed to do just that.

big rigs dont have parking brakes like regular cars... they have mechanical locks in the transmission.

its funny. what we have on the grizzly is better, but people want what it doesnt have because thats what they are used to.

i could see it being slightly useful on a steep hill where the slight roll of the machine is not acceptable, but for trailer-ing, or regular parking on an average occasion? i think it's silly.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice video and trails. What is mounted on the front rack? An axe? Looks like an axe handle, but the head looked like a loop.

Jim

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice video and trails. What is mounted on the front rack? An axe? Looks like an axe handle, but the head looked like a loop.

Jim
That is my brush Axe. It`s called a Sandvik, made in Sweden.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I usually park on level ground then put it on park. I try not to park on a hill for I think it is kinda hard on the tranny. Also don't rely on using parking brake while trailering, that is what straps are for. Also, big trucks don't use anything in the tranny for parking, the brakes are spring loaded, and with no air they close or set, only air pressure will release them.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
What big rigs use a device in the tranny? Never seen one myself they use a park break... it's a button labels park break and it evacuated all the air in the break system locking all breaks on the truck and trailer

And it isn't that the park pawl can't handle it, it's when it's on a hill and you have to disengage it with weight on the pawl. You are slipping a one tooth gear over a cog with preassure on it. No mater what you say you run the risk of chipping that tooth. Park is to be used on level ground only as the manual says. His lil accessory serves it's purpose when needing to park on a hill to avoid the preassure on the gear. But I also agree that using something like this for a long period is bad for a hydrolic system.
And if you strap a machine right on the trailer you shouldn't need park or the breaks on

·
Premium Member
10,152 Posts
Hydraulic lines are not intended to hold pressure a long time.
When I need to step off the grizz on a side hill, I'll turn across the hill, roll back and leave the front steering crossed up.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
What big rigs use a device in the tranny? Never seen one myself they use a park break...
im not talking about trucks with air brakes. quite a few of the bigger than f350 trucks ive used in landscaping over the years have had em. possibly not in the transmission per-se, but it was a mechanical pin style brake. the only way you could get those things to move with the parking brake on was to snap something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts