Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Black friday deals i decided to get a few things.. $736.88 got me 4 PB Growler 27x9x12 tires and 4 STI HD Beadlock wheels to go with. I don't think thats to bad... :)

I've seen the BG's in action before in the 25 inch'ers and knew right away they were built better "IMO" than the originals. All the issues i had with the original 25.5's seemed to be a non issue with the BG2.5's.. week side walls and no rim guard.. thats really about it "both are awesome all around tires". The 27's are still only 6 ply but man are they a stiff tire compared to the originals. I'm about 215-220lbs and me sitting on them bouncing couldn't indent them even 1/4 inch.

Even with the sidewall slices i had early on "first 1000 miles" with the originals and having to run high 7+ psi in the fronts i decided that i wanted to still run the growlers for a second set. They're a great tire for any terrain and man can you beat them to hell and they just keep going. I'm expecting great things out of this new set.. In my initial impression's they did better in building the BG's then they did the originals even though they are china made. Don't get me wrong the originals were great but i think these are built even better!! I'm very impressed. These 27's measured 27 3/8ths.

The Rim gaurd on these guys are awesome. The rim lip sits in about 1/4 inch or tad more form the edge of the rubber.

compared to the old ones

Just enough clearance i hope from the fender and the secondary battery

It will be pretty close to the barkers under full suspension load during jumps i'll keep track of any potential rub on the growlers might need a set of spaceers..

I'm heading out for a ride in the morning so I'll hopefully see how they do in 7-14 inches of snow.. I'll try to take a few pics and get them up tomorrow evening/night.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to mention the last few pics i aired the tires down to 5lbs each .. these things dont even budge compared to the originals which i'm pretty excited about. I'll probably keep them at 5lbs for tomorrow and work them down to 3lbs or less if they stay this stiff.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice setup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice looking setup! I just got those wheels a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to mount them up yet. I am just waiting for my Bighorns to wear out so I can get a set of Growlers.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Very good looking set up!! And way to take advantage of a good deal too

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love the Growler! They hold the line like nothing else. Have tried a ton of other tires and the Growlers are by far the best all around tires I have used. That being said, they are heavy and do rob some power.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Lookin good, can't wait to see the pics, sweet deal too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I ran growlers on my 850xp. they are great

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Nice new set up Dag ... can't wait to here how they do for you... might be in the market for something a lil stronger then the big horns for the Wolverine

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Thanks for posting up Dag. Good to see that the new tire has a few "upgrades" from the originals. I'm loving my Growlers after getting over the early sidewall gash, and I'm not too far away from a new set. Looking forward to your updates on these, though you have much more motor than me, ha.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I sure love my Growlers... be interested in your experience tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
7,153 Posts
Hey Dag...Lookin good. I've been running the HD beadlocks for a while. I feel they are a great wheel. The front lock rims on mine are bashed up pretty bad. $14 ea to make them look new again. Can't beat that.
Looking forward to your review.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry if this is a bit long:

Ok just to start off I loved my original USA made growlers. They have been the best tire i've been able to find for how i ride and the characteristics that i wanted in a tire which was pretty much just extreme grip in any off camber situation, hard cornering, and an any trail type "I'm not a huge mudder type guy but love hitting deep snow". The few problems i've noticed with the 25.5 USA growlers i've mentioned on many different threads on GC:
  • they have fairly weak "squishy" sidewalls "its a MUST that you run 7+lbs of air in each tire if you are an aggressive rider and don't want to blow out your sidewalls
  • During hard cornering turn to turn "racing type riding ditching the two pop850xps's behind you" You will notice a slight roll of the sidewall on the growlers. The tread keeps you planted and keeps you tracking extremely well. Just point the bars in a direction and you learn to expect/trust that there will be no push from these tires and the grizz will change course and head that direction every time. Just be ready for it and if you are going fast crank the bars you better be adjusting your body weight as the grizz will turn that way but you may not be haha :icon_ goofy: Anyways you will get a little bit body roll due to the sidewalls rolling a tad. IMO this is tuned out by a set of stg3 elka's a few quick adjustments in the front if you know you are going to be haulin'azz and you are good to go
  • The weight of the tires. The 25.5x10x12's i had with the sedona spyder rims put me in at 43-44lbs on each corner. As some of you know this was almost a deal breaker for me. I just couldn't get over how well these tires handled so i started upgrading the power of the grizz to match the tires :nana: about $2300~ later for motor/clutch work "all labor done myself should add another $500 in booz to that cost actually to get me through it" This thing was an awesome trail grizz.
  • No rim guard on the 25.5 xor's I know there was a rim guard on the 26.5/27.5's but I think this should have been standard on all their tires was kinda disappointed about that
Now for the new BG2.5 tires. For one there isn't much information out about these tires or peoples experiences about them on any of the canam/rzr/GC/GR/Rhino and other forums. All i was finding were the initial reviews that DTD put out when the tire was released. There are threads after threads on forums that state that "well they aren't made in the USA so im not buying them" Guys just because these tires are made in china they are still designed by Pitbull in the US. Your money is still going to a US based company and supporting a very good product line IMO. Guys that say they wont buy the tire because its made in China i think need to get over that fact. Taken straight from their website this is the type of company i feel comfortable supporting long term:

Tire Mart, Inc. has been in the same family for almost 70 years and because we are an American family-owned business, we do our best to have all of our Pit Bull products designed & made here in the United States. It costs more money, but it saves jobs…and it is our belief that if we all look out for one another, then everyone wins. We are willing to spend more money to have our tires produced in the United States, and we feel that many Americans feel the same way as we do.

Along the same lines, we believe in supporting those who defend our freedom and wish to take this opportunity to say "Thank You" to all those men and women who are currently serving or have served our country in the past. Without you the world wouldn't be the same.

We believe in Freedom, the Constitution including the Right to bear arms and Freedom of speech. We firmly believe that every person needs to live by the Golden Rule and be accountable for their words and deeds regardless of circumstances. These are the things we try to live by and this is how we try to run our business.

Alright that said these 27x9x12's have already exceeded my expectations. I was just hoping they would be as good as my originals and at a cheaper cost. The issues i mentioned above seem to all have been addressed and resolved so far with the BG lineup. Keep in mind these are still a 6ply tire just like my original non-uber 25.5's.

When i mounted the tires initially i couldn't believe how stiff these sidewalls were and the whole tire in general. I almost got a 14in rim because i thought with a 27 on a 12in rim the issues i had on the first gen growlers with hard cornering and rolling the sidewall a bit certainly i would issues with these because of the longer sidewall. These were extremely hard to seat the inside bead of these tires because there is almost no flex in the sidewalls. As hard as they were to seat i was getting excited for the fact i could already see these were a much better built tire in comparison to the old ones. Once mounted on the rim and bead seated each tire weighed in at a whopping 47.1 lbs :cussing: at first i wasn't to happy about that until I found in an old post from years back that my originals new were around 44. So for a 27in tire to only be 3 lbs heavier I felt a bit better that the grizz could handle it.

Before hitting the trail yesterday first thing i noticed was the grizz with all my hundreds of lbs of crap "ex: welded rebar w/ 1/4 steal mounts and aluminum sheet rear rack etc" not a single tire would even squish down or indent when pressing my foot up against. I dropped the air down to 4 lbs in each tire in a garage that was about 52 degrees. Loaded up the grizz at 6:30 am took the lady to the airport @ 7:20 to go to Dallas and by 8 i was head to the trail head with several others. :banana:

Once on the trail i confirmed in the first 10 miles that these tires indeed will not have any side wall softness issues like the previous generation there was no squat at all actually. After the first 10 miles we stopped and i re-torqued all the lug nuts again and let a decent amount of air out of them. I didn't actually use a gauge just started taking air out. From that point on i just nailed the gas and let the tires and grizz do the rest. The cornering grip and traction is everything i learned to love with the first gen but now when with the 27's on a 12in rim I had zero body roll from the tires. The few times i launched off a few small jumps and landed from what i could tell didn't come close to bottoming out the tires to the rims. I also got off for a few after the jumps and inspected any/all rubbing areas. Nothing made contact. I was worried about the tires being so close to the dual barkers on one side and the secondary battery that i mounted on the other side. No rubbing on the front or the rear at all so i was happy about that as well. These tires had no problem rototilling the earth and plowing through snow all day. I noticed a slight drop in lowend probably do to the overall gear ratio change with the taller tires more so than the weight difference itself. I've picked up some 15gram OD's that i'll experiment with to get my rpm's a bit higher and prob another .2 shim if i can get it to fit but just like standard growler fashion point the bars hit the gas hangon like hell and go!!

So far i'm very pleased. Rim guard is a tad over 1/4 inch with the beadlocks, weight of the tire is not much more than the 25.5 1st gen's, running 1-2 psi in the tires i had zero issues with pinching tires between rocks&rims, no rolling of the tires.

I'll try to keep adding to this thread as i get more miles on the tires how knows they might be crap after a thousand miles. I'll be sure to post it here thats for sure.

Here's some pics from yesterday:

And one last pic right before i got hit with a snow ball!! What a great day of riding it was and with a small group it was a lot of fun... wish we could get more days like that. Riding in the upper 30's low 40's sunny no wind 6-14 inches of snow trails everywhere and good people!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Great write up and pics. Looked like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Thanks for the update dag, good review also. I thought I had my mind made up and was going to go with Blackwaters, now I will keep an eye on this thread. Great pics also, looks like you had a great day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Where did you go to get that price? That's a smoking deal!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where did you go to get that price? That's a smoking deal!
Well I have to give discounttiredirect a shout out here. I'm always looking for a deal on tires no matter if its for my car the girls cady ats my pickup or my grizzly they seem to always come out ontop. I try and search others even get local dealers to price match DTD but with free shipping and no tax they just can't beat them. I only wish they would carry STI atv/utv rims then i would have got those from them as well. As for tires they are hard to beat, they've gotten a ton of my business in the last 5 yrs.

So I got the tires from DTD over black friday as they had $75 off "visa prepaid card" on what i saw ANY atv tire not just the growlers. Hopefully everyone else needing tires growlers or not took advantage of that.

The sti hd beadlocks i got from Rocky Mountain Atv where i had $100 off via frequent buyer reward certificates.. :) This purchase also got me another $50 off my next purchases.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the update dag, good review also. I thought I had my mind made up and was going to go with Blackwaters, now I will keep an eye on this thread. Great pics also, looks like you had a great day.
Everything i've read and seen in person the blackwaters are great tires as well. I almost got them over the growlers and had they not come out with the BG's and had i not seen the differences in the original growlers vs the BG's before i purchased i would have probably given them or the PB Rockers a chance. My older brother has been running the BG2.5's 25 inchers on his kingquad for about 1200 miles now and i could definitely see the improvements with them over the originals. If you are looking at the blackwaters i'd also consider the PB Rockers. I have another brother running two sets of these 1 on his brute force and 1 on his kingquad, very strong tire that will do everything very well.

YEPSED, is running the blackwaters though on his rzr and they appear to be a great all around trail tire as well.

·
Registered
690 Posts
dag 1401, thanks for taking the time to post a very detailed review on the Pit Bull XOR BG 2.5. I have been running them on my quad for over 2 years. I had a prototype set to beat up before they were released.

Thanks for the kind words as well. We will continue to work hard to earn your business.

As you already stated they are the real deal. Great photos as well.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Great report! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts