Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new here but I see tons of posts where people are adding air pressure to help float tires. I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me. Floating is about how much water you displace vs the weight of what you displaced it with. 1 cubic foot of atmosphere at sea level weighs 1.3 grams. So the more air you stuff in a tire, the more it will weigh, and the less it will want to float. Think of a full oxygen cylinder with 2000 psi in it...it hardly floats at all. The optimal float pressure would be whatever pressure the tire stops stretching in size and juse starts cimpressing the air. My guess would be around 7 to 9 maybe. Or am I totally wrong???

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
A bottle of water would have more affect than a lot of air on the float factor.

·
Premium Member
10,153 Posts
The thread started out about the weight of extra air and the effect on a machine to float.
If you ride a stock grizzly carrying no cargo the effect of extra weight from extra air in the tires could not be found outside of a laboratory environment.
The weight of the extra air would be less than the weight of a bottle of water even if the amount of extra air was 10# a tire.

I've not read a post from a member that had a grizzly sink because it had to much air in the tires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Waterbottle

Ohhh I see. Your saying the difference in wieght would be no more than a water bottle weighs. I agree it would be minimal, I was more just thinking out loud. I have two tire with wheels I could test this on....I just might do it. Put 5 psi in one and 15 psi in another and let them float and see which one has the highest water line.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Displacement=floatation. If you add weight by a adding air pressure, you reduce the effective flotation value of the displacement.

·
Registered
325 Posts
1 cubic foot of atmosphere at sea level weighs 1.3 grams.
Most air compressors will add water weight as well, unless you run an air dryer after the air compressor. But it is going to be negligible, taking a piss before you start riding will negate any added weight caused by tire pressure.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
mud riders tend to be from the south. people from the south arent exactly followers of neil degrasse tyson.

[\tongue in cheek]

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Is any of this really relevant. The numbers are so minimal that a chunk of mud stuck in the bees of the rim will throw everything off. I understand what everyone is saying but come on it makes no difference either way. ..

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Is any of this really relevant. The numbers are so minimal that a chunk of mud stuck in the bees of the rim will throw everything off. I understand what everyone is saying but come on it makes no difference either way. ..
i think that is what OP is kind of saying. the thought of putting more air in your tire to improve flotation is back asswards. and ridgeway added to that, by saying even if it wasnt, it wouldnt make a difference, it is so minuscule.

Reactions: TRev

·
Registered
325 Posts
Negligible: adjective

so small, trifling, or unimportant that it may safely be neglected or disregarded:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is not the air weight what's important here is the displacement of the tire.
For comparison if you add more air into a rigid container, the pressure increase inside will have no effect on the flotation.
If you add this extra air volume inside a flexible container, tire or tube or balloon, the pressure inside will make the container to grow.
The growth will displace more water and will make the tire float easier.
The flotation is proportional with the volume.
In our case considering the mass of the ATV, the actual displacement increase of the tire volume by adding more air pressure is to small to make a valid difference.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: overhill

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mud riders tend to be from the south, and people from the south arent exactly followers of neil degrasse tyson.

[\tongue in cheek]
There I fixed it for you. Now you can say you trolled on Mud Riders, Southerners, and the Religious, all in one sentence.

Welcome to the Wiserhood :devil:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is not the air weight what's important here is the displacement of the tire.
For comparison if you add more air into a rigid container, the pressure increase inside will have no effect on the flotation.
If you add this extra air volume inside a flexible container, tire or tube or balloon, the pressure inside will make the container to grow.
The growth will displace more water and will make the tire float easier.
The flotation is proportional with the volume.
In our case considering the mass of the ATV, the actual displacement increase of the tire volume by adding more air pressure is to small to make a valid difference.
My 2 cents.
Exactly! It is surface area displacement and not weight that is the deciding factor. If it was it was weight alone, we would have a lot of aircraft carriers living on the bottom of the ocean.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, so this thread got me curious. For those interested, 1 cubic foot of dicplacement= 62.4 lbs flotation. In fresh water, that is.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
Join ed.ted.com

Here is a little info quoted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy
"Any body of arbitrary shape which is immersed, partly or fully, in a fluid will experience the action of a net force in the opposite direction of the local pressure gradient. If this pressure gradient arises from gravity, the net force is in the vertical direction opposite that of the gravitational force. This vertical force is termed buoyancy or buoyant force and is equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction, to the weight of the displaced fluid. Mathematically,

F = \rho g V
where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and V is the volume of fluid directly above the curved surface.[3] In the case of a ship, for instance, its weight is balanced by pressure forces from the surrounding water, allowing it to float. If more cargo is loaded onto the ship, it would sink more into the water – displacing more water and thus receive a higher buoyant force to balance the increased weight.
Discovery of the principle of buoyancy is attributed to Archimedes."
A ferro cement boat up to 30 some feet is lighter than a wooden or steel boat

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Floating

Ok a better question, if I put 27x8x12 mud bug all the way around, and I get too deep on my little 350...recon I can step off and it will float up to saftey on those tires? I mean I'm still gonna go skinny all the way around, but just curious none the less what would happen.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes. I had a buddy that could float down a river while riding his Honda 350 and he was close to 200 lbs. Most ATVs will float, the problem is that the tires provide most of the buoyancy and therefore the ATV wants to roll upside down.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
you guys are making it sound like tires are balloons. they are not. after 4psi or so, the increase in size is super small.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,516 Posts
I'm getting a headache...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts