Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, so tomorrow I pick up my 09 Grizzly 700. As it stands now it's got a warn winch, rad relocation (not installed), one of those race tips, 31"Zillas, and a brand new plow. My plans with it is I will be plowing with it. Using it as a work quad and on the weekends trail riding to include some deep mud. You could read mods to do until your eyes fall out but I'm looking for some down and dirty answers. I want to know what mods I should start with. I plan to snorkel it, do just a slip on exhaust and a tuner on it. I've read all the forums for advice on those items. Also after reading will be doing some clutch work. Shim job, and most likely do the spring as well. My question is what else?! The tires on it are insanely big. I'm honestly not sure I'll keep them on just yet. They are in great shape on some nice SS rims but they're a bit overboard for my plans and I'm sure without any mods are not doing anything positive for wear and tear. Any help I can get I'd greatly appreciate. I've had a handful of sport quads in the past, this is my first 4x4 big boy. Thanks in advance for any advice you all have! Also just want to add this site has been a treasure of great knowledge and ideas. Been glued since I've started my grizzly search!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Congrats and welcome to GC. One of the best mods I did was a milled primary shave. The shims work and are cheap, but if money isn't an issue I'd get that done, especially if you decide to keep those big ol mud flingers haha. I run 30" Mudder Inlaws, so I hear ya on the big tire thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also wanted to add first thing I will be doing is a good tune up. All the fluids and plug changed. Check boots, install the rad relocation. Not too worried about the looks, just want something fun, reliable, and able to use all that power correctly for what I want to accomplish. Also to add high speeds are also not any interest to me. Rather take the torque. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good advice. Honestly didn't seem that big until you stand next to the thing! I actually work at a machine shop and could probably do the work free myself. I've been at it at a while so I'd be pretty comfortable if I could get some exact specs. If not I may do shims for now and see what I can find on it. I just know those big meats on each corner aren't doing anything amazing for the clutch system

·
Registered
760 Posts
Lol. I use my big nasty tires mostly for winter riding. CVT def takes a hit when the tires alone weigh 50lbs a piece. I've got a milled sheave, .5mm shim, purple secondary spring, EHS Tuner and EHS Lid. That setup works good for 99% of everyone else with smaller tires and different riding styles, but for me and what I'm doing, I'm actually in the process of adding an 11:1 Piston and looking for an upgraded cam. The latter 2 upgrades I'm adding because my head gasket is toast so I figured why not haha. COOP45 did my milled sheave BTW. He's a member on here.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
:gcrules: Congratulations and welcome!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Great to be here! I'll try and get with him on machining the sheave. I'm sure I'll keep the monsters around for winter or getting into some deep holes but for everyday use it's a bit overkill. Thanks for the info though. First order of business after a good tune up will probably be straight to the CVT. Replace the belt and do the necessary mods. Then start picking stuff off the list. You have any recommendations on who to go through for aftermarket parts? There's more than enough online but if you've had good experience with anyone in particular I'd like to give them more business.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV is good. There's also some good vendors on this site. I ordered most of my stuff from a stealership because my buddy that works there always gets me a good deal. Other will chim in with who they like I'm sure.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Welcome to GC. How's the miles and hours look on that Griz? The reason I ask is because the OEM belt will last a loooooooooong time. We have members with thousands of miles on the OEM belt. That might save ya a bill or so. If you do replace it, OEM is the way to go. For most stuff, I use partshark but I've probably used them all at one time or another. Just check prices and pay attention to shipping costs. That can be a deal breaker or maker from one site to the next.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's got 1100 miles and around 200 hours on it. Just brought it home about an hour ago and rode it around the property. Seems to ride really well considering what it's got for tires. Those don't help the comfort level much but what a nice machine. I'm very happy with my choice of going with the grizzly so far. I did look online for some time last night and for the time being will be ordering the shim kit and purple spring. You can definitely notice a lack of low end grunt with the skins it's got. Probably tomorrow I'll be pulling some stuff apart and go through it all. Right off the bat I know it needs brake pads so those will be purchased either tonight or tomorrow. Other than that from the outside looks great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so I just ordered my brake pads. All 4 sets. I plan to pull them all apart and see if I need discs or caliper work. Hopefully not but I want to get it all taken care of. I also ordered a shim kit and a gold secondary spring. I've read a whole bunch of arguments between white or gold spring running tires my size. My plan is to go do 1.5 shim and gold and see how she feels. If it's still sluggish I'll try pushing out to 2 and white spring. When I pull it all apart I'll see how everything looks in the CVT. Might post up some photos to get advice if everything looks okay. I don't know enough to notice something with lots of wear. Another question I did have was after reading a lot of the forums a lot of people are saying even with just the pro tip on the exhaust it's necessary to have a fuel controller. Is this true? Something I should be looking into sooner than later? Probably next spring I'm going to swap out the exhaust and planned to do one at that point. Just didn't know if I should do that now or I'm good to wait until the new can goes on. Thanks again to everyone for the help. This has been freakin awesome to get so much feedback.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
She's got 1100 miles and around 200 hours on it. Just brought it home about an hour ago and rode it around the property. Seems to ride really well considering what it's got for tires. Those don't help the comfort level much but what a nice machine. I'm very happy with my choice of going with the grizzly so far. I did look online for some time last night and for the time being will be ordering the shim kit and purple spring. You can definitely notice a lack of low end grunt with the skins it's got. Probably tomorrow I'll be pulling some stuff apart and go through it all. Right off the bat I know it needs brake pads so those will be purchased either tonight or tomorrow. Other than that from the outside looks great.
Your belt is probably fine. Check it when you get in the clutch case but I wouldn't waste my money on one anytime soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good to me. I'll save the money for other things. Like I said this part of it is new to me. Never dealt with the CVT before. Thank you for the advice

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Sounds good to me. I'll save the money for other things. Like I said this part of it is new to me. Never dealt with the CVT before. Thank you for the advice
No problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Clutch clutch clutch. Call EPI and tell them everything that you have on it or will have on it, ESPECIALLY tire size.... Ask them for the right kit for your machine AND for what you plan to do with it. I'd say that's your best first move! For sure.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Clutch clutch clutch. Call EPI and tell them everything that you have on it or will have on it, ESPECIALLY tire size.... Ask them for the right kit for your machine AND for what you plan to do with it. I'd say that's your best first move! For sure.
I'd disagree with that. We can help you get that Griz acting the way you want it to way cheaper than with a kit that will most likely come with items you don't need or want. We have members who have dedicated countless hours to researching and testing clutch mods. Many new members have come here saying, "I got this kit with XYZ in it..." Probably 95% of the time the advice is send it back or if they can't, then use this part and that part and throw the rest away. Few members are running much more than a machined sheave, heavier spring and a little shim. Some have gone as far as a cut cam plate. And EPI will not machine your sheave or cut your cam plate for you (that I've ever hear of).

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's awesome. I'd love to know a list of the favorite places one can send their parts out for that machining, and or specific instructions on the sheave. Theres so much info everywhere it would be great to narrow it all down with guys who have experienced the results..

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
That's awesome. I'd love to know a list of the favorite places one can send their parts out for that machining, and or specific instructions on the sheave. Theres so much info everywhere it would be great to narrow it all down with guys who have experienced the results..
First, let me disclose that there's guy that know waaaaaaay more
about this stuff than me. Shim and spring is usually the first step. If guys want more, or the loss in top end is a problem for them, then a machined sheave is usually the next step. The cut cam plate also helps with the top end loss from shims. Member Ridgway has lots of time invested in all this. He has a YouTube channel under his name, Jim Porter. He discusses clutches in at least a couple videos there. We have many other members that are very knowledgeable on the topic also. A simple search on clutches will give you hundreds of threads to read through where their knowledge has been passed along previously. Coop45 is a member here who cuts primary sheaves for guys. He also has a YouTube channel explaining what his mods can do for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So quick update, I received and installed my white spring and 2mm shim. Definitely gave it more low end power that I was looking for. I don't mind the loss on the top end because I'll never even come close to maxing it out anyways. I do however notice something now I'm not sure is an issue. So at a dead stop if I just mat the thing it's a toss up if it's going to take off or fall on it's face. It's not the belt slipping, it bogs down and almost wants to stall out. If it happens I feather the throttle a bit and then it'll take off not problem but from a stop if I just punch it, does not like that at all. Cause for concern or just something to note when riding?

·
Registered
63 Posts
First, let me disclose that there's guy that know waaaaaaay more
about this stuff than me. Shim and spring is usually the first step. If guys want more, or the loss in top end is a problem for them, then a machined sheave is usually the next step. The cut cam plate also helps with the top end loss from shims. Member Ridgway has lots of time invested in all this. He has a YouTube channel under his name, Jim Porter. He discusses clutches in at least a couple videos there. We have many other members that are very knowledgeable on the topic also. A simple search on clutches will give you hundreds of threads to read through where their knowledge has been passed along previously. Coop45 is a member here who cuts primary sheaves for guys. He also has a YouTube channel explaining what his mods can do for you.
Awesome info! Much thanks and appreciation!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts