Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

· Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Down trees are what the winch is for.
Consider your self luck to have a reason for the winch :) and the time to use it.

· Registered
148 Posts
Man I wish Washington State would allow ATV's to ride on forest roads like Oregon apparently does. We're not allowed to do that, at least on the West side of the State. I think some of the rural counties on East side allow it as long as they're fully licensed.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Why would they care? I rode all day yesterday and didn't see another person. Seems silly they would care if you rode your atv where no one else is. I have snowmobiled all over Washington in the winter just figured you could do the same with atv's in the summer. In Oregon pretty much all Blm/Forest service roads are open to off road vehicles as long as they are gravel.

· Registered
217 Posts
I’m over on the east side of WA and we can ride all over, including on all paved roads with speed limit 35 or under in my town. In some counties, like Stevens, you can also ride on some roads with speed limits up to 50mph. It’s pretty easy to get an ATV licensed for on and off road use—just have to put blinkers, horn, and mirror on the bike and have it inspected to get the proper registration. I’ve got a few trips planned for the spring that are several hundred miles in length. I’m really surprised that you are that limited on the west side.

· Premium Member
'23 XTR
238 Posts
Nothing quite as scenic as out west...but we're finally cleaning up the land enough to ride. Before all this land was bought, it was a party spot for people to pretty much destroy. Still a lot to go, but we're making progress!
< Cleaning up party trash...

Once we get this near 120 acres cleared and cleaned we'll have an epic camping/riding area.

· Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,481 Posts
Man I wish Washington State would allow ATV's to ride on forest roads like Oregon apparently does. We're not allowed to do that, at least on the West side of the State. I think some of the rural counties on East side allow it as long as they're fully licensed.
I’ve got a friend who lives on Hood Canal and he has complained about the same thing. He had a Raptor and ended up selling it because everywhere he used to ride in western WA became illegal to ride with the authorities cracking down.

Reactions: Vincenthdfan

· Registered
148 Posts
Why would they care? I rode all day yesterday and didn't see another person. Seems silly they would care if you rode your atv where no one else is. I have snowmobiled all over Washington in the winter just figured you could do the same with atv's in the summer. In Oregon pretty much all Blm/Forest service roads are open to off road vehicles as long as they are gravel.
Yeah, they have made it crystal clear on the Westside that it is not allowed in the National Forest areas (they have posted signs that have ATV's and Side by Side pics with red slashes through them, etc) with the exception of one tiny little stretch of road out of an ATV campground in the Gifford Pinchot N.F.

You can ride the small amount of gravel BLM roads in the Capitol Forest year round, but its pretty busy with local traffic, logging trucks, etc. The scenery is pretty limited too, nothing like the high country of our National Forest areas.

· Registered
148 Posts
I’m over on the east side of WA and we can ride all over, including on all paved roads with speed limit 35 or under in my town. In some counties, like Stevens, you can also ride on some roads with speed limits up to 50mph. It’s pretty easy to get an ATV licensed for on and off road use—just have to put blinkers, horn, and mirror on the bike and have it inspected to get the proper registration. I’ve got a few trips planned for the spring that are several hundred miles in length. I’m really surprised that you are that limited on the west side.
Yeah, I checked into licensing and it wouldnt make any difference, still cant ride on any of the roads.

Thank goodness I have a dual sport motorcycle to cover territory with so that I can still see some beautiful scenery....its the only way to go on this side of the State.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts