1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
First off, I use a rear box seat combination and enjoy it. I ride with others that have the larger cargo boxes and notice several thing I wouldn't like with that style.
1) A large cargo box needs to be full to keep thing generally where they start the ride. If the box is half full thing bounce/bang around. Then if the box is full the first thing you need is on the bottom, so unpacking and repacking is needed. I get tired of waiting on a couple guys in the local group that spend time screwing with things in their box, most of which is stuff their haven't used since the stuff was put in.
2) The storage in the seat box I use isn't large, so large stuff get tied to the rack. I can put a camera bag or other similar sized stuff in there, and if needed use a towel to take up extra space. Many times the towel has been handy too. I have rain gear in there. I can roll up coveralls and heavy coats if needed but its not like I am living out of the box. Just stuff to get through the next ride.
3) Several times I've liked having the rear seat room when two up is needed. Having a hard flat box surface jammed into the passenger's back screws up the comfort for both riders. Plus the wrap around side boxes have hand holds built in. Once the seat box is bolted to the rack its solid. Last spring a suspension failure caused the grizz to fall backwards off a 14 ft. drop, to land on the rear rack/box. It bent and ripped the rack and crush the box causing the plastic to split and bend. But the box had to be unbolted for removal. I caught my lower back on the box, and now I'm glad the box was not metal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can totally see your points and I appreciate your comments, time to re-think this. Lol this forum is awesome

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
yeah, id only get that box if i was using the quad on the farm, or somewhere security was the #1 concern... otherwise, id go plastic. and im with ridgeway. i prefer the rear seat to a full box. an additional thing i like about them that i didnt see when i skimmed his post, is the ability to put the drivers ass in the rear seat. it really lets you shift your weight farther back than a full box does. i almost found out the hard way when descending a short steep section. you loose a lot of counterbalance room.

ive seen a few people flip with boxes/seats, and the heavy duty plastic seems to be a great "impact zone" where the box might collapse, but it saves the quad from a harder impact. in each instance, the box was able to be popped back into position. only sign anything happened is some plastic abrasions and some minor gouging.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
If you ride tight trails that box will hook trees and you will get majorly pissed off at it. A guy in our riding group thought bigger was better and everything in his box got smashed to all hell cus it was empty in there. Then he also became the guy to pack all the extra stuff and he always got it hooked on trees ALWAYS

·
Registered
857 Posts
When I need to take more cargo (winter rides and hunting) I have a tamarack front box that I add. Otherwise I just use the rear box/seat. I prefer two medium boxes to one big box.

Also, aluminum turns everything black

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the input, I have soft bag on my old atv, it served its purpose, but I experienced some of the same issues (such as allowed water, dust in) as some I've seen others have discussed. So I'm searching out some other options

·
Premium Member
9,288 Posts
Thanks for all of the input, I have soft bag on my old atv, it served its purpose, but I experienced some of the same issues (such as allowed water, dust in) as some I've seen others have discussed. So I'm searching out some other options
The box I used needs cleaning a couple times a year, mostly from putting gloves or other gear in it cover with dirt.
It keeps things dry until you open the lid in the rain to get the rain gear out. Most boxes with seals are good.
I drilled a small hole in the bottom of each side to drain the water after washing. I then lay a towel in the bottom to cushion things and prevent rattling. The towel keeps the dust out. I don't ride in water deep enough to reach the holes as water that deep around here is moving way to fast for safety.
One thing to remember with boxes is the back gets a lot of dirt on it. I suggest a box lid with the latch on the front. You can get in quick without having to walk to the back and you don't have to deal with the mud or dust to work the latch mechanism.
Here is a set of pictures from a 3 day ride and the grizzlys loaded. Mine is the one with the gun scabbard.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157635546510686
I had a lot of stuff strapped to the box I don't generally need on a 1 day ride. That ride was 320 miles from the house and back without a truck.
One guy used a large box, so to each their own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts