Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I put on 4 brand new Pitbull growlers 26.5 X 9 up front and 26.5 X 11 in the rear. My first impressions is Wow these things bite!! My second impression over several hundred miles was wow these things kill the performance. So I waited till I found a like new set of my factory mag's at a very reasonable cost which I found off of ebay. Then ordered another set of 26.5 X 9's. I mounted them up and just got them put on and lost 22 lbs of rotating weight in the process.

I took if around the yard a few times to let it warm up and as soon as it was warm I started to get on it. I immediately noticed a improvement in the seat of the pants acceleration. It pulls better for sure but no hard data yet. When I get a chance later I will toss on my GPS performance meter and test both set of tires to see if it was in my head or if there really is a performance advantage. That wont happen any time soon though as I have a busy year this year.

The 26.5 X 11's mounted on my stock mags with 5 psi weighed in at 51.0 lbs each
The 26.5 X 9's mounted on stock front mags with 6.5 psi weighed in at 40.4 lbs each. I wish I would have checked the air pressure to see how much they lost but I am going to say they lost the .4 lbs anyways. So that's a 22lb rotational weight savings.

Around the yard and cornering kinda hard, not as hard as I could though, I really can't tell any difference with the skinny's VS the wide rear tires. I will give a update after I get out to the woods and see how that goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Last year I put on 4 brand new Pitbull growlers 26.5 X 9 up front and 26.5 X 11 in the rear. My first impressions is Wow these things bite!! My second impression over several hundred miles was wow these things kill the performance. So I waited till I found a like new set of my factory mag's at a very reasonable cost which I found off of ebay. Then ordered another set of 26.5 X 9's. I mounted them up and just got them put on and lost 22 lbs of rotating weight in the process.

I took if around the yard a few times to let it warm up and as soon as it was warm I started to get on it. I immediately noticed a improvement in the seat of the pants acceleration. It pulls better for sure but no hard data yet. When I get a chance later I will toss on my GPS performance meter and test both set of tires to see if it was in my head or if there really is a performance advantage. That wont happen any time soon though as I have a busy year this year.

The 26.5 X 11's mounted on my stock mags with 5 psi weighed in at 51.0 lbs each
The 26.5 X 9's mounted on my stock front mags with 6.5 psi weighed in at 40.4 lbs each. I wish I would have checked the air pressure to see how much they lost but I am going to say they lost the .4 lbs anyways. So that a 22lb rotational weight savings.

Around the yard and cornering kinda hard, not as hard as I could though, I really can't tell any difference with the skinny's VS the wide rear tires. I will give a update after I get out to the woods and see how that goes.
Nice!

Reactions: Zrt1200

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good post. So you are running 4 front wheels now?
Yes. (4) front wheels and (4) 26.5 X 9" tires. I just ran it around some more and was more aggressive. I can't tell any difference in handling over using the wide tires. And now it spins a little but still can lift the front tires up on the dirt. I gassed it coming out of a 90* turn and it spun sideways just a smidget. Just enough to let you know the rear broke loose.

·
Premium Member
2020 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
85 Posts
Good post. I'm running four MSA M12 14X7 wheels and four MAXXIS Coronado 26X9X14 tires. Much better than the stock MAXXIS tires. I still hjave my stock wheels and will probably put Growlers on those eventually.... Cheers

·
Registered
04 Grizzly 660, XR650l carb swap, ROX risers
28 Posts
good info thanks!

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,995 Posts
Those 26x9x12 Growler tires seem to have much better sidewall coverage for rim protection than my BigHorn 26x9x12 tires!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Those 26x9x12 Growler tires seem to have much better sidewall coverage for rim protection than my BigHorn 26x9x12 tires!
The 26" and 26.5" Growlers have built in rim protectors which add a fare bit of protection. All atv tires should have this feature

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
@RedRocket here is my 11" rear tires on 7" rims. I don't have a picture of the 9" fronts. My WAG is half this much.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,995 Posts
@Vincent Yeah, the BigHorn originals do claim the same and have the rim guards, just don't seem as well pronounced as the Growlers. Same with how @reogem is showing for the entire sidewall, my BHs don't give the same protection with the 26x9x12s that are seen on post #7. The BH 26x12x12 does have very good sidewall rim coverage but I'm not using those any longer as I am now running 26x9x12 on all four corners.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
The guard does protrude ½" or more out past the bead lock ring. I'll check the front 9's

Checked the 9's from the BL ring to the guard is close to ½" like the 11's. Of course the 9 sidewalls do not protrude as much as the 11's.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wanted to give you guys a update on the squared up set up.
In the tight trails with off camber and rooted step up/step down off camber I can not tell any difference VS the wider rear tires. In loose Sand it tracks Way, Way better in 2wd than it ever use to. There is no reason to use 4wd in sand now unless its a swamp hole. Loose sand hill climbs IMO is actually better as the rear doesnt want to step out with the power applied in 2wd and there is still plenty of floatation. It's not sinking in any more than your front tires normally do.
Faster two track and snowmobile trails... As I was riding 25-45 MPH on twisty 2 tracks and snowmobile trails you could feel the difference. It really didn't matter if is was sand, sandy/dirt or or stone covered hard packed. When you got into the center of the curve and are applying power pretty hard you could feel the rear start to step out a little. It's nothing uncontrollable and there was No... oh crap moments. You just could feel the rear a little loose. The same happened on decell in a middle of a corner if you realized the corner was getting sharper and you entered to hot. The rear felt a little loose but nothing out of control at all and it was not tippy at all. All in all I really liked it!!! Would I do a squared up set up again?? Hell Yes I Would!!! IMO it gave the grizzly a more sportier feel than it ever had.

Bonus. I didn't check the actual gas mileage but I can tell you that it used less gas in this same 50 mile loop than it did with the wide rear tires. How do I know. Well normally I get back to the truck with a 1/4 tank left in it. Today I got back with a 1/2 tank left in it and I was using the throttle a lot harder today than normal as I really wanted to push this set up to see what it would do. I also noticed there was more power to be had by using the skinny rear tires. I am not saying it's because of the weight difference. It could be the wide rear tires just take so much more power to turn vs the skinny's.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Awesome to hear your happy with your skinny growler set up bud!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Now post pictures!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK. I will get some pics to post.

·
Registered