Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I see there are a lot of options when it comes to detailing the plastics. What are the most common waxes used on the colored plastics? Can the same thing be used for the black plastics? Also what seems to be popular with keeping the aluminum on the engine block and diffs shiny and clean?

:rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
81 Posts
On my 700 plastics I use a product called Aerospace 303. I have used it for many years on my plastic kayaks and it keeps them looking new. It is a UV protectant that you spray on and wipe off and leaves the plastic with a really smooth and shiny surface. It is available at Walmart and some auto parts stores. Not sure what would be good for the engine and diffs but would be interested to hear what others recommend.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Maxima SC1 Sillicon Spray is pretty popular with people on this forum:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Maxima-SC1-Silicone-Spray-12oz/dp/B000WK5PWQ[/ame]

I have had great results with it.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My favorite so far is lucas slick mist.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
SC1 is the best stuff i've used and it makes your garage smell good. On the black parts I use Back to Black made by Mothers you can get it at most parts stores.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you are on a budget you can use "lemon Pledge" or a clone from the dollar store for less money. It is silicon based just like all above mentioned products. you can spray it on everything but your seat and wipe it off for a protective shine. it is also a rust inhibitor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are on a budget you can use "lemon Pledge" or a clone from the dollar store for less money. It is silicon based just like all above mentioned products. you can spray it on everything but your seat and wipe it off for a protective shine. it is also a rust inhibitor.
Yup.I was going to mention furniture polish. I found some stuff called Proshine,made by Prowax.com at a auto body repair supplier for about 6 bucks a can.Pretty much the same thing as SC 1 for less money.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The lemon pledge is great for chrome, never tried it on plastics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use lemon pledge on the entire grizzly. Maintains a smooth finish. Helps with washing. Doesn't collect dust. On the undercarriage, diffs, and anywhere mud or dirt may go, I use FluidFilm. I used this on my Seadoo and had a case left over. Works great. Prevents rust, expels water, and keeps anything from sticking.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've sprayed the inside of my fenders with some type of beeswax, it helped with washing. I might have to look into that fluidfilm. I like to wash it every time I ride more than an hour or so. I wash my tractor too I figure it's part of maintenance and I hate working on dirty machines. Can do more harm than good working on a dirty machine. Sounds like fluidfilm would be good for the tractor too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So looks like SC1 for plastics and fluidfilm for the engine block and diffs or anything else metal. Has anyone used SC1 for the black plastics on their machines and inside the fenders? Those pesky inside fenders look clean when washing but once it dries the mud is still there.... :nana:

The manual says to use degreaser on engine block but I am leary of getting it on things that shouldn't be sprayed with it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone tried the Honda Pro Cleaner? The description is similar to SC1. When I was in college I bought a Kia and the dealer gave me a few cans of this and I remember it working great on the car. Wondered if anyone tried this on their quads?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use lemon pledge on the entire grizzly. Maintains a smooth finish. Helps with washing. Doesn't collect dust. On the undercarriage, diffs, and anywhere mud or dirt may go, I use FluidFilm. I used this on my Seadoo and had a case left over. Works great. Prevents rust, expels water, and keeps anything from sticking.
Is fluid film more of an undercoating? How does it look when applied to diffs and engine block? My goal is just to keep the engine block and diffs shiny.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Simple green is a great cleaner but in the fine print it is not aluminum safe. It is corrosive to aluminum so not good for our engines or radiators

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has anyone used SC1 for the black plastics on their machines and inside the fenders? Those pesky inside fenders look clean when washing but once it dries the mud is still there.... :nana:
SC1 works good on these as well. I know what you mean about the inner fenders when they dry after a wash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fluid Film is a lubricant/coating/rust preventer. I use it on my seadoo and boat engine bays. I also spray on my mower deck to prevent grass from sticking. Now I use on the grizzly undercarriage. It works great. Helps with washing and prevents corrosion.

Is fluid film more of an undercoating? How does it look when applied to diffs and engine block? My goal is just to keep the engine block and diffs shiny.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts