Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Marcos from New Mexico. Im new to this forum and happy to be here. I own a 2007 Grizzly and recently purchased a 2001 Big Bear 4x4 400. I understand the Big Bear is more of a work bike and has a top speed of around 40-45mph. my Big Bear needed a few minor things worked on such as throttle, brakes etc but I do need some help with power on this bike. I can get the bike moving pretty quick going downhill, of course gravity helps out tremendously. The bike can climb hills pretty good. but I cant get this bike to move past 10mph going up a slight incline road. This thing is bearly moving going up hill. The speed limiter on the throttle is maxed out, changed spark plug. looking to have the carb rebuilt or replaced but wasn't sure if there is something else I should be looking for to get some more power on this thing. Its not backfiring or anything like that just extremely sluggish going up a very minor incline. I mean this bike only seems to work right on flat or downhill surfaces. don't think an air filter upgrade or bigger tires is gonna make a huge difference, but im open to any suggestions.

·
Grizzled Moderator
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,357 Posts
Yes, sounds exactly like what would happen with a worn out wet clutch pack (Clutch Carrier Assy 5EH-16620-00-00).

·
Grizzled Moderator
4,357 Posts
The 3 locations that are frequently mentioned are RMATV, partzilla and partshark. I would absolutely confirm your specific year/model to make sure you have the correct part. When you look up the part, make sure you check their shipping rates. Over the years, I've seen a huge difference in the shipping rates between those locations.

Unfortunately it looks like that part will not be cheap. I know for the 660 and 700 Grizzly, if you're going in to change the wet clutch pack, makes sense to change the 1-way bearing as well. I would only purchase OEM parts on those two items.

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have the throttle pushed all the way and i cant get rpm's high enough to be able to shift past 2nd gear.
I re-read this, and want to make sure I understand. If you are going up a hill, full throttle in 1st gear, your engine RPM’s go down and you run out of power?
If that’s the case, I would check the compression on it. And run some cleaner through the carb. And change fluids in the driveline, making sure you don’t have sludge somewhere. Jack it up and make sure everything turns free, no brakes dragging.
Now if your engine winds freely, but the bike slows down… that clutch is shot. I still suspect the clutch… but your answer sounded like engine RPM’s could not maintain going up hill.

·
Grizzled Moderator
4,357 Posts
Yeah, good catch, somehow I missed that too. Needs some clarification as you mention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.