Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just recently picked up a yamaha kodiak 400 4x4, 2002. I think I got it for a steal because it was one owner, who was 65 and drive it just up the driveway to get mail and back. So very low hours (even though there is no gauge).

Any how here are my issues which for the price I don't really mind a few fixes ( I paid 1500 for this like new cosmetically quad). It's worth mentioning I think she passed so it has been sitting for about a year (in a heated garage).

Issues are as follows:
1. Horrible cold start (and I mean cold right nite all it's 35F) so not really that cold.
2. Backfiring more often than it should.
3. It will stall unless I have the choke at full for about 2 mins. Then halfway for about 5 more. Our it will stall.
4. I heard some very faint knocking in the engine.
5. Carb reside nite in plug

I enclosed a pictured if the spark plug and air filter.wanted to get your opinions if the plug indicats lean or rich. The plug is not wet but is black, probably carbon fouling. I checked and the gap is correct as what started in my manual. I also cannot tell if the air filter is stock and if I need a new one. Her was what I was going to do. So let me know if I should ot not do what I'm about to do.
1. Empty tank and out fresh 93 octane in. Also add assume seafoam.
2.change add plug with correct gap
3 clean carb
4 clean air filter and re oil
5. Clean spark plug
6. After cold start it ramps up in idle speed almost so much I can't shift.

So am I running lean or rich as per picture? And is it the fuel or oxygen which I'm getting to much of.

Thanks any help would be great! Have a great weekend!

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I think cleaning the fuel system, new fuel and new plug should solve your problem. I have 2 Suzuki 400's that start rough when not driven for a long time. I have to drain the carb bowls and choke them for a long time before they run right. Also check for vacuum leaks. You may have a dried out gasket or fuel line

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
Hey..ramzzey13..Welcome to GC from Wisconsin

First thing install a new spark plug.
More importantly get the valves adjusted.
Don't waste your money on 93 octane gas use regular gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for the quick response! Already bought the gas so I have to use it... reogem you mentioned get the valves adjusted. Is this something I can do? I need to get a service manual (actually does anyone have one?) but I have the original owners manual book that just mentions to have a Yamaha technician do it.

Thanks again for the quick responses!

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Valves are not hard to do. Use Google for fill details to do it on your model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for allb the help. Changed plug, (gaped it correctly and torqued it to the recommended 12.5ft lb) changed gas ( added a little seafoam) cleaned carb, installed fuel filter(there is no stock one) Changed engine oil. It's starting and idling really with no choke. If anything I just need half choke then when its warm it idles right where it's suppose to be. Thanks for all your help. I guess it was a easy fix after all!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts