Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Portals on a grizzly?

31K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  CanadianKodiak700 
#1 ·
So like the title says, has anyone successfully put portals on a grizzly yet? I've tried searching and have not had any luck finding any one that has. I've seen a couple Hondas done but it took quite a bit of modding to do so. Now some of you might ask why bother, well, I've liked the portal idea since they came out. I've always ran "big" lifts on my bikes but I am always looking for more bottom end and the 30-45% reduction is right up my alley!
Now I know they don't make them for the grizzly and they probably never will, but looking at the mount satv has for the viking and wolverine, it appears to be pretty easy to modify to the grizzly. The question is the cv axle spline count and shaft diameter, anyone have any info on this and any chance it's the same?

#3 ·
i also looked in to this but i quit when i seen the price.

#4 · (Edited)
Portals offer much more use than just the lift. They also dramatically increase torque at the wheels. They allow the user to install very large tires (34"+) and have the ability to turn them without busting axles. For a pure ride rider, it's money well spent.
For $3000, you get 4" of bolt on ground clearance, then you install very large tires which give you even more ground clearance. Then you have increased torque at the tires to keep those monster tires turning in whatever you drive into. Additionally because your suspension and axle angles do not change, and due to the geared hub design, your axles last.

I agree $3000 is a big amount of money when you only take a quick look at it. But if you actually look into detail what you are getting and understand it, it does not look so bad.

I will still never buy them though.....too expensive....LOL.

#5 ·
Exactly dezz! By the time you buy a true big lift with axles and all your pushing $3k anyway and none of the other benefits of the portals! The only true negative I see is the min of 8" width whereas now I'm only about 4" wider
Guessing no one has attempted this just judging by the responses, guess I'll give super atv a call Monday and see how much info they'll give me about their mounts

#6 ·
Following out of curiosity. I must admit that I had to google "portals" when this thread first appeared. Learn something new every day. lol. Please keep us posted.

#7 ·
Lol I knew about them, but didn't realize they cost that much! Lol yes please keep us updated on how things go with this!

Reactions: ToyFord
#8 ·
Their are portals for the Wolverine... they may be a close match ..m big money but those who have them say it's money well spent

#9 ·
Dang, I was really hoping to not be the Guinea Pig with this!

That's what I was thinking as well. Is anyone familiar with the hubs on a wolverine or viking? Any chance the shaft size and spline count is the same as a grizzly? If I can get confirmation on this I'm going to give it a try! The mount plate shouldn't be to hard to fab but if I have to buy new outers for my gorillas that adds another grand to the price tag that I'm not wanting to spend especially since I already have 2 new outers I just put on

#10 ·
Can I hijack this thread and turn it into a discussion on the relative merits of portals and huge tires, vs. treads?

#11 ·
I could see the benefits of them while running 32"+ tires. Since I really don't know much about them, I would want to know how reliable they are. Seeing how they are designed with expecting a huge stress load on them, how tough are they and what kind of maintenance do they require?

#12 ·
They are actually very tough. Never heard of many issues .. obviously a heavy right foot can mess anything up but they are basically designed as a gear reduction top input lower output. Not much to go wrong.
I know the ones for the Wolverine are a 30% gear reduction. Which is huge in the atv utv world considering machining your primary gets you 15 to 17% lower start off "gearing" 30% across the bored is huge when thinking that going from 25" to 32" inch tires only raises gearing around 22%

Reactions: NCMUDMAN
#13 ·
Good to hear trev.
I would imagine they would naturally put more strain on components like the hub's and bearings?

#17 · (Edited)
The original wheel bearings are eliminated as the housing is fixed to the new knuckle.

This big f*cker carries the load that the wheel bearing did previously.

I think the first things to fail on a grizzly running these would be ball joints and the lower control arms.

#16 ·
No chance in hell a Grizzly will ever break one of these, let alone a set of four. We have a customers set opened up at work and I can say these are very stout.

#22 ·
The only failures I've seen on these are breaking of the output shaft and a heavy foot, but like you said it was on a heavy sxs.
Anyone have any input on the viking or wolverine cv axle outers and if they're the same as a grizzly? That's the only real hold up at this point because I don't have a local dealer that stocks portals so no way to check before I buy

#18 ·
Cool thanks for clarifying Mccdan!

#19 ·
That looks really cool, and much better for axles. Bigger tires will cause more stress in general, but it's got to be a better result than a conventional lift, right?

#20 ·
I would think so. I wonder how much they weigh...

#23 ·
Only way to really know is to put the leg work in on the details. I highly doubt anything will be a direct bolt on. The grizzly and wolverine would be the closest related vehicles and I know the knuckles are not the same ..jt may take some custom fab work to make them live together

#24 ·
I had this same idea as well, but the price put a halt to that. I did not realize they came out with one for the yamahas, last time I looked they only had them for the big bikes. How do the brakes mount up on the portals, will the grizzly brakes bolt up to the wolverine designed setup?

Reactions: Menace187
#26 ·
Bump.

Really interested in this. Been doing a lot of reading. All spline counts on outers are 27 throughout the lineup. I guess the cheapest way to find out shaft size at home would be to find someone willing to give away some broken axles.
I emailed Superatv and asked if there had been any talk about it and their exact dull response was “there has been no discussion. Thanks”
I actually got aggravated for a minute.

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.