Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a grizzly 450 with EPS, it has 118 miles on it And I don't think the power steering is working correctly. This is my first ATV ever and have not had much experience with them so I thought that thats the way it should be. But yesterday It seemed to actually come on and work for a little bit. It sure was nice when it came on and I realized that it hasn't been working up till then. But it would come and go. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Is the EPS light on?

·
Registered
900 Posts
You can always pull the fuse and see what it's like without power steering and compare.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the light is off. Thats why I figured it was working, but apparently it is not??? I will try to trouble shoot it in the morning. I'll try the fuse and see what happens but I don't know if it will make a difference. The light does come on when the bike is not running. thanks for the help guys. Aloha, Willie-Joe

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is most likely that you are not familiar with this system. This unit uses speed and torque sensor inputs to apply the correct amount of assist as needed. It is not constant power.
Also keep in mind that if you are doing some constant steering in tight places, the system may shut down for a short period to keep from overheating.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Turn the key on and move bars left and right. Then start bike and do again, you should fell a big difference a few seconds after engine comes up to speed. This is how I found mine was not working after I wrecked mine last year. Something quick and easy to try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Power steering or bad universal joint?

I had some seriouse steering issues with my 550 eps, I could barley turn the handle bars. I do have a bad universal joint by the a arm so could that have caused it? No eps light came up or anything. Any comments would be appreciated

·
Registered
130 Posts
The light should come on when you start the engine and then go off to show you that the eps is working. Since your bike does that I would bet that your bike is indeed working right. I have a 14 without eps and a 13 with eps. Not a giant difference between the two but at the end of a long ride you feel less tired with the eps. When making a U-turn on pavement there is a noticeable difference in feel. The eps system quickly adds more assist when you need it most...like when you hit a rock with one wheel. It is hard to tell it is working just driving.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Turn the key on and move bars left and right. Then start bike and do again, you should fell a big difference a few seconds after engine comes up to speed. This is how I found mine was not working after I wrecked mine last year. Something quick and easy to try.
I was just playing with mine after reading this. I did not notice much difference between engine on and off. I have read that the Yamaha system does not do much unless you are moving. Even then it is not noticeable except when hitting a big rock etc. at speed, then I notice the handlebar does not kick back like my Honda Rubicon. It is not a system that is over assisted like some other atvs.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Go out onto the grass lock your breaks front and rear and move steering lock to lock. Now keep the breaks locked and put just a lil bit of throttle into it just so you can feel the machine fight the breaks and turn lock to lock ... easiest way to see the difference. At a dead stop no throttle the eps puts out zero assist (at least via a volt meter )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts