Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other then the idiot light can a person tell if the power steering is working?

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
With engine off turn handle bars left then right. Then do it with engine running.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
With machine running ride up along side a tree or wall or rock with it wedged to the side of the tire ... try to turn bars towards object with no throttle .. then add some throttle while on the breaks ... steering should move easier ... when no throttle is applied eps is off

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just ride it that will tell you if it has power steering . Like if these machines felt so close to being the same ( power vs non power ) then why would you need power . You should easily be able to tell the difference .

·
Registered
780 Posts
With machine running ride up along side a tree or wall or rock with it wedged to the side of the tire ... try to turn bars towards object with no throttle .. then add some throttle while on the breaks ... steering should move easier ... when no throttle is applied eps is off

What? I don't think the eps is "off" with no throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
What? I don't think the eps is "off" with no throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually it is. According to an electrical tester there is no assist at all at idle. Stationary idle at least as I could never manage to get a tester on it while rolling at idle

·
Registered
780 Posts
99% sure my '15 has EPS at idle. I might have to go check it out later.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
The 2011 450 has esp at idle. Were do you need the most esp? Low or no speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just out by mine, put on new grips. Went ahead and checked. I have EPS at idle. Engine running v. Engine off there is a notable difference in the steering effort, 27x12" tires on smooth garage floor, but a difference is noted.

dw

·
Registered
389 Posts
The EPS lamp will illuminate if there is any malfunction of the EPS. Believe me, i have tried every thing possible to affect its operation w/o lighting the lamp.
Now keep in mind , that you can still have mechanical problems in the suspension, steering, tires etc. that will affect the steering effort.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My eps works at idle as well. It's night and day between machine off try turning the bars machine idling and crank the bars.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would think it is noticeable but since my spacer install it is hard to tell. I will try some of the suggested tests here I'll post what I find. I had a buddy ride it and he asked if it had power steering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts