Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’ve got a question for you guys, I do quite a bit of a mud riding and recently just purchased a 2019 grizzly 700. I installed a power tip to simply give it a little better growl than the stock golf cart sound. But playing around in a mud hole, fairly deep water I let off the gas for just a split minute, but apparently long enough to choke the motor out and suck water in the pipe all the way into my engine. Would this have happened if the stock tip was still installed or does my bike not have the proper amount of compression?

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
The engine died, or never died?
I ride a lot of water, over the muffler opening, and haven't had a single problem with water in the muffler.
It sounds like you were in deep and water got into the intake, then the engine.
It re-started? And you kept riding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from Colorado.
The engine died, or never died?
I ride a lot of water, over the muffler opening, and haven't had a single problem with water in the muffler.
It sounds like you were in deep and water got into the intake, then the engine.
It re-started? And you kept riding?
It died when the muffler went under. I was in 2WD so my back end sank down in the water/mud, i let off the throttle to switch it to 4WD and before I could even get back on the gas it died. My front end was high and dry and air box was dry. Muffler is the only place it could be

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
OK, thanks for the added info :)
Did you get it re-fired in the hole, or get towed out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for the added info :)
Did you get it re-fired in the hole, or get towed out?
I could have re-fired it in the whole but it’s still new. Less than 500 miles on it so I was scared of hurting it anymore. I got pulled to the shop and then tried getting to to crank. The starter would barely turn it over because of the water in the exhaust system but when it finally started, it blew water prolly 15 foot out the pipe. If I had truly known what happened at the time, I think I could have tilted it back and let it run out. But I was really confused In the situation Bc water entering my exhaust never crossed my mind till it was too late. Lesson learned but I’m not sure how to avoid it In the future because holding the throttle open the whole time is definitely not the answer for me lol

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Well.. avoid the deep water if possible or get a bolt on exhaust extension pipe, some rednecks have a exhaust flapper on top of this pipe to be.. stylish.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
I don't think the water caused the engine to stop, it was probably just something like a hic-up.
If you get into this situation again, keep a little throttle applied and use your left hand to engage the 4x4.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
When I had a tip on my Grizzly without a programmer it would die randomly die like Ridg said more like hic-up. If the engine dies and the muffler is under water then it's going to fill up. Does it ever die at other times then fire right back up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I had a tip on my Grizzly without a programmer it would die randomly die like Ridg said more like hic-up. If the engine dies and the muffler is under water then it's going to fill up. Does it ever die at other times then fire right back up?
It has never ever died on me other than In that water hole. I honestly think that tip just opens the exhaust up enough to not have enough pressure to stay running when it goes under the water. I guess I could try to kill it with my hand, I’ve put the factory tip back on it for now.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what tip, brand and opening diameter did you install?
I used a 2" opening 2R, and have ridden with many others using this tip and nobody had a failure like you reported. I've haven't ridden with another on a year model you have so maybe something is different than my experience.
I've also ridden with guys using different mufflers in deep water without a problem.
https://flic.kr/p/fvL1Vg https://flic.kr/p/fvL2ip I'm not trying to start an argument but many here have had water up their tail pipe, but mostly after getting water down the throat to kill the engine, not up the tail pipe stopping the engine, even at an idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just out of curiosity, what tip, brand and opening diameter did you install?
I used a 2" opening 2R, and have ridden with many others using this tip and nobody had a failure like you reported. I've haven't ridden with another on a year model you have so maybe something is different than my experience.
I've also ridden with guys using different mufflers in deep water without a problem.
https://flic.kr/p/fvL1Vg https://flic.kr/p/fvL2ip I'm not trying to start an argument but many here have had water up their tail pipe, but mostly after getting water down the throat to kill the engine, not up the tail pipe stopping the engine, even at an idle.
It’s a 2R tip. Somebody else brought to my attention that 2019 is the first year that Yamaha went back to the 686 motor. They previously had to switch to the 708 for 2 years because they were having trouble getting the 868 to pass emissions. So maybe this new motor is leaned out enough to simply not have enough pressure. Not sure, just a thought that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Generally anytime you add a tip your supposed to add a fuel programmer to help avoid potential lean conditions...

You can also modify your own stock tip / spark arrester assembly if you want for more aggressive bark sound and still look stock

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
I could have re-fired it in the whole but it’s still new. Less than 500 miles on it so I was scared of hurting it anymore. I got pulled to the shop and then tried getting to to crank. The starter would barely turn it over because of the water in the exhaust system but when it finally started, it blew water prolly 15 foot out the pipe. If I had truly known what happened at the time, I think I could have tilted it back and let it run out. But I was really confused In the situation Bc water entering my exhaust never crossed my mind till it was too late. Lesson learned but I’m not sure how to avoid it In the future because holding the throttle open the whole time is definitely not the answer for me lol
You said it blew water 15', that's enough back pressure. And blaming this on lean ain't the problem.
And how to avoid this again would be move to the desert :)
Here's the deal, any engine running puts out enough pressure at idle to stay running under water if its getting air through the intake. Hell, they all die every now and then on dry ground and need to be restarted. Your luck it didn't bend a rod when it restarted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts