Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some advice on lifting my bike i wood like a little more ground clarence without losing handling is a 2 inch lift the only way or are there other ways of getting the results i am looking for

·
Registered
365 Posts
After doing some searching the threads on lifts, I am not finding were you are going to get both stock handling with a raised atv. From looking at your signature I see you are more set up for mud and what not instead of ripping around on trails. Whenever you lift an atv you lift the center of gravity which will in turn affect your handling. This is an extreme example but what is going to handle better, a race car or a Monster truck? So with that said most people know what type of conditions there going to be riding and set there rigs up for that particular kind of riding, there may be a solution to both but I’m not sure what it would be, sure have not found it on GC, and if there is it’s going to cost you $$$! Like opie said bigger tires = more Clarence but you already have 28” ZIllas, good luck in finding what your looking for.

Reactions: SBE2

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't lift it, it causes unnecessary strain on your axles. Just crank your suspension to the hardest settings or get bigger tires. I'm running 30 zillas and love them. No lift. I did go with wheel spacers and after market wheels for extra width to make it more stabil. Handles amazing.

·
Registered
277 Posts
14" of ground clearance and 50" wide. Next to my wifes prairie 700 with 28 mudzillas on it and a 2014 with 2" lift, 2" wheel spacers and 4+3 wheel spacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. If I went with the Zillas 30 will they rub on finders and how are they for trail riding because i do like playing in mud but also like trail riding or do i need a bike for both

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Thanks for the advice. If I went with the Zillas 30 will they rub on finders and how are they for trail riding because i do like playing in mud but also like trail riding or do i need a bike for both
If ya can swing dedicated bikes for mud and trail that would just be plain awesome!... But not practical for most. lol. I’d look into an extra set of tires and wheels for general trail use.

·
Registered
277 Posts
They do rub occasionally on hard landings but its just the black part of the fenders down low, not the floor boards. Id go with 28s to eliminate this completely but i cant go back now. They do great on trails but i made sure to go wider as i went taller. They clear everything, the bike is more stabile than stock for sure ride smooth. Not to heavy either and mud pretty darn good. Most of the time you dont make it through a mud hole is due to your frame dragging too much.

·
Registered
365 Posts
They do great on trails but i made sure to go wider as i went taller.
What Grizzach is saying is true, but any time you widen your stance your handling will be affected and that seems to be a concern of yours. It will make it more Stable but Your turning radius is hurt by a good little bit. So while a closer to stock bike can go around a 50” switch back on tight trails, Grizzach set up will have you shifting from forward to reverse a few times before he can make that tight turn, while the stock Machine is long gone, and if you go with 30” Z’s it looks like you will have some clutch work to consider. Right now you have a fairly neutral machine that can do a little of both.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is y I went with the 28's but the frame hang ups is y I thought another couple of inches would help with that but do not want lose the handling on trails. this discussion has help a lot with options that I have. I think finding a bike that i can pick up cheap and rip it down then building a mudder. thanks again. Ride On

Reactions: RDC

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2" lift with 26" zillas and I love it, wish I would've went with atleast 27s but maybe later. As far as handling I ride a good mix of everything and the only time I have an issue is in really thick mud. Trail riding I have no complaints

·
Site Founder
4,961 Posts
I'm a 25" guy. But...I will say those 31" Outlaws on HL wheels with the HL Extreme clutch kit, 2" HL lift, HL springs, and a CDI was a WHOLE LOT OF FUN. It was great on the trails and I could bring it up like nothing. Just no fast trail riding is all. You gotta be a lot more careful in off camber situations also. Those 31" Outlaws are my favorite mud tire that I can ride on the trail with with that setup I just mentioned.

If you want to stay lower and kill some mud...try some 27" Vampires. They'll slaughter those Zillas and you can slide them no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts