Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a project 2003 griizzly 660 with many issues.This problem is that that the starter has a terrible time turning the engine over.I tried using the pull start but almost impossible .Can hear a grinding sound like something is sticking when trying to pull rope..I removed the starter and now the pull rope is easy to pull.Would this be a one way bearing issue?Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
To pull start my 660, I get the piston up and the stroke near t.d.c.
I can't reach down and pull only, I have to pull lightly to time the engine, then let the reel take up the rope, then pull. And hope the engine break free before something inside me pulls apart first :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am pretty sure there is something wrong inside..i had the pull rope assembly off .Took the starter off .The gear that the starter connects to is turning if i turn the engine clockwise or counterclockwise

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Look through these pages at the different parts of the electric start system;
you might have one of these parts going bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the one way bearing suppose to do on these?i suspect it is that .I could not barely turn the engine over with pull rope .When i took the starter out no problem cranking over with pull rope

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
The one-way is a sprague clutch which engages when turned one direction, but releases when going the opposite direction. It grabs to start the engine, then when the engine fires and turns faster than the starter, its not engaged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then i imagine that is the problem.The bike has been sitting in a field for a year before i bought this project.Thanks for all the help.Wonder if i take it apart and clean it up will solve it or do you think i need a new bearing?

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
then i imagine that is the problem.The bike has been sitting in a field for a year before i bought this project.Thanks for all the help.Wonder if i take it apart and clean it up will solve it or do you think i need a new bearing?
If your starter clutch is not working properly, then you'll need to replace it. There is no cleaning it. Its worn out.
Only use the OEM Yamaha part in this application. Trust us on this. All others are junk. This has been proven time and time again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts