Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on a Hardline hour/tachometer on my 07 grizzly 700. Instructions say to set tachometer according to how many time your engine pulses/per revolution. My choices are:
1 pulse per 1 revolutions
1 pulse per 2 revolutions
2 pulses per 1 revolutions

I figured it would be 1 pulse for 2 revolutions. Please let me know.

Also, if I have currently have tach set up core try, what would cause it to fluctuate. It will go as low as 1050 and as high as 1450 with engine fully warmed up. Maybe the tach is not very accurate but its hard to set idle when it keeps moving around.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have a very cheap tach from eBay. It had settings 1, 2 and 4
I use setting one and it reads 1450-1550 idle..
however it’s not very sensitive and it’s slow to respond.
I would be ok for setting top rpm on a lawn mower governor but that’s it really.
I’ll likely remove it and look for a better unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
what does your setting 1 represent in terms of pulse per revolution
I also run a cheap Amazon 10$ tachometer. It's a bit slow to respond at time. This one has 75 hrs on it. I've used it on my Grizzly, outboards, snowblower etc.... Pritty much everything I own. It also has 3 settings. I believe I'm on setting 2. For the most part considering it's Chinese cheapness, and it's hard loveless life, it seems to read fairly well and consistent.

With mine it's really obvious when your on the wrong settings. Instead of around 1600rpm on idle, it will read either 800 rpms or 3200rpms on the other settings.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Does your idle jump around or hold fairly constant? Thanks for info and pics
It seems to read consistent idle rpms . I don't experience jumping around as you describe.

Reactions: Hanover123

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll call the manufacturer of mine. I assume if the idle is set to high it would cause clutch to start and engage....correct?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Mine is like Vincent said. If the setting is wrong it’s very obvious. It will read 800 3200 rpm at idle. Something that’s you’ll notice.
The instructions it came with are poor.
It describes how to use the Velcro tape more than the functions. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Thanks. I'll call the manufacturer of mine. I assume if the idle is set to high it would cause clutch to start and engage....correct?
Yes, a high idle can cause unwanted clutch engagement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts