Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I purchased a '21 Grizzly this past summer and have been reading these forums for suggestions on possible upgrades. I'm thinking of replacing the stock shocks with an Elka Stage 3 package, and wondering if anyone has suggestions for buying them. Do Elka packages ever sell for a discount, possibly around the Thanksgiving/Black Friday time period? Are there other channels where I might be able to save a few bucks - buying online via going through a local dealer/supplier in my area. Purchase price isn't my top priority since quality and durability matter more in the long run, but I don't mind getting a good deal based on any suggestions from this forum.

Finally, is there any other information/specifications I'll have to provide when ordering a set? Rider & cargo weight? Trail/terrain specifics?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Go directly to Elka's site, they tell you all the required info needed to order.

As for discounts, I've never seen anything other than the ongoing "sale" that never ends when you buy a set of 4 stage 3 shocks.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,144 Posts
I haven’t personally bought Elka shocks but have looked into them with the desire to eventually buy a set. As CK700 mentions, no on the discount thing. Seems the only time there ever is a real discount is if they are revamping a specific stage line and the older design gets a discount. Also, be very aware that Elka recommends rebuilding their shocks from time to time and that is not free. So budget the rebuilds into your decision.

As per your question about weight and riding terrain, yes. You want to be completely honest with your personal riding style/ability and terrain you ride along with how much weight and gear go on the machine. All of that will factor in so that Elka can custom tailor a set of shocks for you and your machine. You would be best to talk directly with Elka and get all of this specifically from them.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 XTR, Coop45 sheave, Epi Gold spring,Ehs programmer and air lid w/ K&N, 27" zillas
148 Posts
I was all set to order a set and the price went up almost $100 bucks so I hesitated and low and behold about 6 weeks later was ready to order again and they went up again. Now about $1,610 plus shipping and tax. I still haven't order,I keep cringing at the price. I was also told 2-4 mo with no date.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yup. They keep going up in price. I can't justify thier cost. I don't care how nice the ride is on them, I cannot logically see that they are worth that much. I can purchase custom tuned suspension for my truck for less. I have zero doubts they are amazing, but not $2k cdn amazing.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I agree it's alot of money, and many can't justify the cost. The only reason why I baught the Elka 3 last year was my front shocks on my 2019 grizzly rod soooo bad!!!!!!

My area has alot of errosion problems which exposes alot of rocks. My handle bars would shake so bad my hands would just be beat after a day of riding. I wasn't happy with the ride quality at all compared to the factory front shocks on my privious 2009 grizzly 550 with 8000 miles.

So last fall I took a chance and blew 1800$ Canadian + taxes for my Elka 3s. In my case I have no regrets , my quad rides soooo much better then before. I ride 3500kms a year threw some very rough trail systems so comfort is a top priority for me .

Also I baught my 2019 Grizzly SE with the Limited edition package used when it was a year old with 1300 kms for 5000$ less then a new one at dealership . So I was already 5K$ ahead compared if I had baught it brand new.

If your happy with the ride quality of your machine as is, I wouldn't bother. But in my case it was a must as yamaha completly drop the ball on my front shocks calibration from the factory.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I agree it's alot of money, and many can't justify the cost. The only reason why I baught the Elka 3 last year was my front shocks on my 2019 grizzly rod soooo bad!!!!!!

My area has alot of errosion problems which exposes alot of rocks. My handle bars would shake so bad my hands would just be beat after a day of riding. I wasn't happy with the ride quality at all compared to the factory front shocks on my privious 2009 grizzly 550 with 8000 miles.

So last fall I took a chance and blew 1800$ Canadian + taxes for my Elka 3s. In my case I have no regrets , my quad rides soooo much better then before. I ride 3500kms a year threw some very rough trail systems so comfort is a top priority for me .

Also I baught my 2019 Grizzly SE with the Limited edition package used when it was a year old with 1300 kms for 5000$ less then a new one at dealership . So I was already 5K$ ahead compared if I had baught it brand new.

If your happy with the ride quality of your machine as is, I wouldn't bother. But in my case it was a must as yamaha completly drop the ball on my front shocks calibration from the factory.
See. I understand and agree with your points. That 5k savings in my eyes would go to upgrades. And being dissatisfied with the ride quality, it makes sense, and if I recall, you even had one OEM leaking too. Just another check mark on the but Elka list.

So far, I'm extremely satisfied with ride quality on my 18 Kodiak, it took alot of trial & error and even playing with tire pressure to get my ride just right while keeping oversteer/understeer in check.
My final tweak in my favor turned out to be my 2" lift. It seemed to be the final factor, that slight change in shock angle pretty much eliminated my oversteer issue and seemed to fine tune the front suspension. The angle change on the rear leveled the bike leaving it needing less preload on the front.
Amazing how it all plays together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts